Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,057,028 times

Advertisements

So I started on the Atkins diet but on careful reading I saw that quite a few fruits were high in carbs as are carrots. Whoops! Part of the problem I have also at the moment is that I'm with a church group which includes dinners at people's houses. Although I try to behave sometimes all there is to eat is stuff with more carbs. Does this "cheating" once a week throw off the diet severely? Should I wait until these church sessions are over and go full bore on the Atkins induction? I'm also game for other diets I could try, but I can't afford things like Nutrisystem or South Beach. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,532,123 times
Fruit can still be enjoyed, some of it anyway. I enjoy berries, watermelon and one of my favorites, plums. I especially like tart fruit, so not too ripe please. Some like it the opposite way which does bring more sugar.

The Ultimate Guide To Carbs In Fruit - what to enjoy and bust the fruit myth.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:11 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,659,444 times
Adkins diet has you go 2 weeks induction phase, it says no sugar, not even from fruit, so fruit is a no. the thing is, if you eat food with sugar (starchy veg, fruit, milk, pasta, wheat products, cereal, etc) your body will continue to burn sugar as fuel, not fat.

If you take the challenge, and do this, the weight comes off fast. you can find substitutes that are satisfying. I'm not following Adkins, but im doing low carb/high fat, which means I can eat full fat foods that taste so good and like if I eat some whip cream, the creaminess tastes kinda sweet.

its your choice, do what works for you. But I dare you to try it for a couple weeks just to see. Coming from a previous sugar-holic, it works for me.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
So I started on the Atkins diet but on careful reading I saw that quite a few fruits were high in carbs as are carrots. Whoops! Part of the problem I have also at the moment is that I'm with a church group which includes dinners at people's houses. Although I try to behave sometimes all there is to eat is stuff with more carbs. Does this "cheating" once a week throw off the diet severely? Should I wait until these church sessions are over and go full bore on the Atkins induction? I'm also game for other diets I could try, but I can't afford things like Nutrisystem or South Beach. Thanks!
If you stick with Atkins you will lose weight. A lot of people do quite well with this type of eating. But you need to assess your life situation to see if it will be a good fit for you. It is not the easiest way to eat if you yourself are not in complete control of your food. As you add more carbs in it gets a bit easier, but you are still very restricted.

You certainly do not have to do a 'diet' like Atkins, South Beach, Nutrisystem, etc... You can opt to just eat whole fresh foods from all the food groups and stay away from pre packaged and processed foods. Just eat less and move more. Websites like Spark People and My Fitness Pal are great resources that are free and will give you great tips on whatever type of eating you choose.
Just remember that any way you choose to eat will be a lifetime change and not a quick fix to lose some pounds. So pick something you can live with.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,057,028 times
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:48 AM

854 posts, read 1,718,916 times
The Atkins diet is a very unhealthy way to eat. Also, can you eat that way for the rest of your life? I doubt it.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,980,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
The Atkins diet is a very unhealthy way to eat. Also, can you eat that way for the rest of your life? I doubt it.
Not true.

https://authoritynutrition.com/23-st...low-fat-diets/

As for the OP I would advise you to try to balance eating at people's homes the best you can. There is no law that says you have to eat EVERYTHING someone serves. Most people will serve some sort of meat and some sort of veggie. You can skip the starchy stuff and dessert. Just don't make a big fuss of it. If the meat and veggies are a bit higher in carbs that usual it won't hurt your weight loss efforts that much. If the host allows you

You absolutely CAN eat this way for the rest of your life. Your blood sugar will be healthier and your blood lipid profile will improve. Carbs are what drive high triglycerides, high bad cholesterol and high blood sugar. Reduce your carbs and reduce your weight as well as your blood lipids.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:46 PM

22,026 posts, read 25,380,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you stick with Atkins you will lose weight. A lot of people do quite well with this type of eating. But you need to assess your life situation to see if it will be a good fit for you. It is not the easiest way to eat if you yourself are not in complete control of your food. As you add more carbs in it gets a bit easier, but you are still very restricted.

You certainly do not have to do a 'diet' like Atkins, South Beach, Nutrisystem, etc... You can opt to just eat whole fresh foods from all the food groups and stay away from pre packaged and processed foods. Just eat less and move more. Websites like Spark People and My Fitness Pal are great resources that are free and will give you great tips on whatever type of eating you choose.
Just remember that any way you choose to eat will be a lifetime change and not a quick fix to lose some pounds. So pick something you can live with.
Not necessarily.

You'll lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. If you eat five pounds of bacon a day, which is following the Atkins diet, you will not lose weight.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not necessarily.

You'll lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. If you eat five pounds of bacon a day, which is following the Atkins diet, you will not lose weight.
??? Duh, five pounds of bacon has a gazillion calories. The reason people lose on atkins is because they are still consuming less calories. The food they eat is so filling and satiating they rarely eat over a certain amount of calories. In the induction phase they lose a lot of water and the body is converting to burning fat so they lose the most during that time.
Also a lot of people stall out on Atkins because they think they can keep eating all that fat and they fail to realize that they still need to burn more calories than they consume.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:47 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,659,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Maybe for YOU, but dont count out those of us who will try it.

OK what i understand is, from what i read, when you lose your weight, (in fact, when you have lost most of your weight) Atkins diet lets you add in slowly, 5 more carbs a day to see how it will affect you. and you do this about 5 times total, upping your carbs 5 more each time, then see how it affects you - whether it makes you gain or maintain,, if you can maintain it, you can add more stuff like fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss