Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,745,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Hard salami, bacon ? Not good.

Both are high in sodium and histamine.........can be problematic, YMMV!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,189,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Both are high in sodium and histamine.........can be problematic, YMMV!!!
I have a very low daily sodium intake

I am concentrating on dropping pounds so am focusing on: fewer carbs - no sugary drinks at all - zero bread zero rice zero pasta -

Yea cheese and salami and bacon sounds like bad food choices ... but for a keto style - low carb diet they are actually very good choices.

Will I slowly evolve my diet moving forward and add / drop certain items ? Of course I will.

I am still experimenting to see what works and does not work and will find a happy balance down the road as I approach my target weight in another 25-30lbs or so

I see lite at the end of the tunnel and am very happy with the results thus far. Considering I have not entered into any exercise program whatsoever.

As soon as the weather gets alittle nicer and I am able to get outside and get some exercise ... that will really be a boost to my weight loss

may have to adjust my food intake so I do not feel sluggish or low on energy. As of now I feel better than I did a few months back as my energy level is higher and I am not dragging around an extra 30lbs with me everywhere.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,745,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

I am concentrating on dropping pounds so am focusing on: fewer carbs - no sugary drinks at all - zero bread zero rice zero pasta -

Yea cheese and salami and bacon sounds like bad food choices ... but for a keto style - low carb diet they are actually very good choices.

Will I slowly evolve my diet moving forward and add / drop certain items ? Of course I will.

I am still experimenting to see what works and does not work and will find a happy balance down the road as I approach my target weight in another 25-30lbs or so

I see lite at the end of the tunnel and am very happy with the results thus far. Considering I have not entered into any exercise program whatsoever.

As soon as the weather gets alittle nicer and I am able to get outside and get some exercise ... that will really be a boost to my weight loss

may have to adjust my food intake so I do not feel sluggish or low on energy. As of now I feel better than I did a few months back as my energy level is higher and I am not dragging around an extra 30lbs with me everywhere.

Well, I switch-off between low-carb and ketogenic.

I am sensitive to salt.....too much and it irritates my stomach, retain-water and my blood-pressure goes up...........like I said, YMMV!!!

Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 PM

5,303 posts, read 5,273,053 times
OP, thats a good and effective way of eating (hate to call it a diet). Its been proven over and over that low carb is a healthy way to lose weight, and has shown to lower blood pressure. Congrats, you're doing a great job.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
I second the poster who says watch the salt. Many of those choices are high in sodium and nitrates, which aren't that healthy. When I eat too much sodium, I retain water. It taxes my system. There has to be better cuts of meat that don't have that much salt.

As for a good way to diet/eat, well I disagree obviously. I eat carbs all of the time. Every single day. I've eaten carbs years ago and had 19% body fat. When I became overweight, it wasn't due to carbs..it was due to overeating period. I eat carbs now and lost weight. There's no right way to diet. If you can stick to a low carb/keto thing, then it's the right diet for you.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
OP, thats a good and effective way of eating (hate to call it a diet). Its been proven over and over that low carb is a healthy way to lose weight, and has shown to lower blood pressure. Congrats, you're doing a great job.
Thank you and I appreciate the support.

I quit smoking cold turkey about 25yrs ago and this process takes far more will power and dedication than simply quiting smoking

I know I will succeed moving forward as the health benefit as well as how you feel and look at yourself ( not to mention how others see you ) is what keeps me motivated.

You have to adapt food eating habits that you can sustain forever. Or at least be willing and ready to adapt them as you see changes in your weight / health and life style.

I know things will get easier down the road when I am only needing to maintain a healthy weight vs drop all this weight.

I feel lucky that I only need to shed maybe 30 or so more pounds. I see others who are 100+ lbs over weight and am thankful that is not my situation.

Stay strong everyone and remember ... you ARE what you eat.
Limit your portion sizes and stay away from pre-packaged processed foods.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Update May 1

Total weight loss since Feb is now 40 lbs !! Woo hoo !!

Currently weigh low 230s ( I am knocking on the door to 220s and it feels awesome ) All my friends have been telling me how great I look and I am wearing jeans and shorts that had been put away for a couple years !

I gave up the salami and cheddar cheese snack I tried incorporating about a month ago. It just did not work for me. made me constipated and stalled my weight drop.

I converted back to shredded parmesan cheese from Costco for my daily fat. I make a cheese omelette almost daily with 3 slices bacon. A good low carb breakfast that is high in fat and protein seems to be a must for me to jump start my day around 10am when I am feeling hungry after a few cups of coffee runs thru me

Gave up all fruit a couple months ago ( except apples ) I like the sweet rush I get with apple wedges dipped into creamy Jiff peanut butter. Kinda my nightly snack around 7-8pm.

Having raw spinach at least 1-2 times daily ( my new friend food )

Breakfast is my only normal size meal. Everything else is lite meals - healthy snacking thru out the day every few hours.

Not sure of my daily calories ( have never counted them ) I will guess maybe 1500 ?

I have a cheat meal once every couple weeks ( always out - NEVER at home ) That way no bad food is ever at home to tempt me.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM

9,970 posts, read 7,872,591 times
Way to go!

Apples and peanut butter, yum.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:23 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,512,126 times
I would switch to Adams or other peanut butter that does not add sugar like Jif. The eggs are fine, maybe a few less per week but cut the sodium and nitrates laden bacon. I am sure you can find a bacon that contains less. Congrats on the weight loss. Once you reach your goal you can add some healthy grains, fruits and veggies.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,659,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

since you are doing that well, when you think about adding some new food that you cautiously used to not eat, do you have a sense of kind of a fear or apprehension that if you eat it, you may screw up your progress for a few days? and if you do add a new food is it usually a good decision or not? What makes you choose a particular new food that you think will help your progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss