Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,645,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yea you have to customize a diet to fit your needs and wants if you are going to expect successful weight loss long term and keep it off

Fad diets come and go and new ones pop up all the time

Dieting is nothing more than being completely aware of WHAT you are eating and HOW MUCH of it you are eating and HOW OFTEN you are eating it

You have to have those 3 key things under control and understand them so you are able to keep them under control.

Who cares if you follow to the exact gram of food intake some wacko diet outlines if you are not actually learning anything from it that allows you to incorporate that change into a life long way of eating moving forward.
When i go peruse the various Facebook pages that are dedicated to a particular diet, its funny/strange when i read the various comments. It is like you HAVE to follow the particular way of eating or else you are weird. OK like the Paleo Diet - you have to eat like a caveman. You MAY NOT HAVE oranges. A commenter even made fun of someone who wanted an orange. the comment was "cavemen did not go around picking oranges so therefore you must not oranges on the paleo diet. so another person said "i do paleo but i also eat bananas." like its a crime to eat a banana! on another Low carb FB page, someone ate a banana, and got crucified for it on Facebook. So weird when you ascribe to one of these, YOU MUST NOT eat food A or B. but then i see other comments where people say "Im doing Paleo but im also eating corn!" like they are a rebel!

the most devastating thing is when you are following a particular diet and then plateau. thats hard! in my keto diet time, the way to end a plateau is to go on an egg fast for 3-5 days - you only eat eggs, butter, cheese. GAH!! no way. so i did a cheat meal and found that worked. no way was i gonna eat those 3 things. some doctor said its dangerous to do an egg fast unless you truly are plateaud. sheesh. no thanks. im not going to die to un-plateau.

so if you ever go to some of these FB pages, you will see things from the Twilight Zone or so it seems.

Then again, if you visit some good FB pages, you will see delicious recipes and those catch my eye. but i wont be a slave to one particular one. ok guidelines yes, but not strict like I must eat like a caveman with no exceptions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 PM

983 posts, read 1,187,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
When i go peruse the various Facebook pages that are dedicated to a particular diet, its funny/strange when i read the various comments. It is like you HAVE to follow the particular way of eating or else you are weird. OK like the Paleo Diet - you have to eat like a caveman. You MAY NOT HAVE oranges. A commenter even made fun of someone who wanted an orange. the comment was "cavemen did not go around picking oranges so therefore you must not oranges on the paleo diet. so another person said "i do paleo but i also eat bananas." like its a crime to eat a banana! on another Low carb FB page, someone ate a banana, and got crucified for it on Facebook. So weird when you ascribe to one of these, YOU MUST NOT eat food A or B. but then i see other comments where people say "Im doing Paleo but im also eating corn!" like they are a rebel!

the most devastating thing is when you are following a particular diet and then plateau. thats hard! in my keto diet time, the way to end a plateau is to go on an egg fast for 3-5 days - you only eat eggs, butter, cheese. GAH!! no way. so i did a cheat meal and found that worked. no way was i gonna eat those 3 things. some doctor said its dangerous to do an egg fast unless you truly are plateaud. sheesh. no thanks. im not going to die to un-plateau.

so if you ever go to some of these FB pages, you will see things from the Twilight Zone or so it seems.

Then again, if you visit some good FB pages, you will see delicious recipes and those catch my eye. but i wont be a slave to one particular one. ok guidelines yes, but not strict like I must eat like a caveman with no exceptions!
I do not do the: Facebook thing

Now I know why !!

Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I do not do the: Facebook thing

Now I know why !!
LOL yeah! but i like it for the recipes and asking general questions or people's ideas. it is ironic to see how dogmatic people can be. It was a dang crime for that one person to eat a banana on the keto diet! oh the inhumanity of it all!

Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 AM

83 posts, read 82,820 times
We rent a house on a family cattle farm and the majority of our food is local and/or organic. we also exercise a lot and my wife has always struggled with maintaining her desired weight, chronic stomach discomfort, sugar addiction and low energy level. Her doctor put her on a modified very low carb diet and eliminating all starch (trying to kill off a bacteria) and after six weeks we both feel great. Basically we eat only meat, veggies, seeds and nuts with a couple of exceptions (like bananas) . I like to cycle a lot and can still ride hard three hours without bonking. She has lost 20 lbs me about 15. I am fairly sure our portions are larger than two months ago and we both feel great.

It's the opinion of our doctor that her diet should be followed strictly for a few months and later she can return to a more "normal" routine.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM

983 posts, read 1,187,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
We rent a house on a family cattle farm and the majority of our food is local and/or organic. we also exercise a lot and my wife has always struggled with maintaining her desired weight, chronic stomach discomfort, sugar addiction and low energy level. Her doctor put her on a modified very low carb diet and eliminating all starch (trying to kill off a bacteria) and after six weeks we both feel great. Basically we eat only meat, veggies, seeds and nuts with a couple of exceptions (like bananas) . I like to cycle a lot and can still ride hard three hours without bonking. She has lost 20 lbs me about 15. I am fairly sure our portions are larger than two months ago and we both feel great.

It's the opinion of our doctor that her diet should be followed strictly for a few months and later she can return to a more "normal" routine.
Glad that is working out for you

It was amazing to me a few months ago how quickly that bloated 'feeling' went away after I gave up all the carbs - starch items from my diet.

You feel so much better every 5-10lbs you drop ( not to mention LOOK better ). When friends and family mention how great you look it is very inspiring. Digging thru your closet and pulling out your favorite cloths from yester-year is a blast from the past as well !

I am 100% positive I can keep all the weight off forever as once I hit my target goal and only need to MAINTAIN a certain weight vs be LOSING weight ... it will be a total cinch. I can simply keep doing exact as I am right now and mix in occasional cheat meals here and there and still be completely fine

I will never go back to drinking beer on a daily basis. I absolutely LOVE drinking water all day long

Old 05-21-2017, 05:13 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
I don't follow a diet. I just eat X number of calories per day, whatever that may be. Macros are naturally balanced and I don't get any bloated feeling. I *do* get bloated when I overeat. If I eat too much fat or protein, I get bad stomach pains and have unpleasant trips to the bathroom. Too many carbs causes water retention. I don't bother to track calories either..at this point I know, give or take, how much I'm eating.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,536,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
I would switch to Adams or other peanut butter that does not add sugar like Jif. The eggs are fine, maybe a few less per week but cut the sodium and nitrates laden bacon. I am sure you can find a bacon that contains less. Congrats on the weight loss. Once you reach your goal you can add some healthy grains, fruits and veggies.
I don't think there's any reason to limit eggs. The mainstream health community has finally come around to what the low carbers knew 25 years ago. Food does not increase bad cholesterol. Our bodies manufacture the bad stuff when we overeat highly refined carbs.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,671,559 times
Successful dieting involves a lot of trial and error. You can research every diet til you're blue in the face. You'll find plenty of success stories for each diet. But ultimately, you have try different ones or create your own before you figure out what works best for you. The problem is most people don't have a lot of patience. They'll try one diet, won't see any results, and then give up. Or they'll hear about some other diet and give that a try. As a middle aged guy who doesn't play sports and has a desk job, I've learned that I do better on a low carb diet. Maybe some other guy who's more active can get away with high carbs. I've also learned that the types of foods I eat make a huge difference. Paleo agrees with me more than anything else. I'm not celiac, but I know that when I eat bread, I not only have a harder time losing weight, I also experience other health issues like allergies and fatigue. Someone else can have lots of dairy, but I can't because it makes my skin break out. I tend to ignore the people who say low carb is bad or paleo is bad or vegetarianism is bad. Ultimately, only you can know what's bad for you and what isn't. Are you losing fat? Are you health markers improving? Are you feeling better and do you have enough energy? If you can say yes to all of those questions, then continue doing whatever it is you're doing, no matter what anyone tells you. I follow my own diet which is really a hybrid of several. But it works for me and I'm probably in better health and shape now than I was in my 20s.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Successful dieting involves a lot of trial and error. You can research every diet til you're blue in the face. You'll find plenty of success stories for each diet. But ultimately, you have try different ones or create your own before you figure out what works best for you. The problem is most people don't have a lot of patience. They'll try one diet, won't see any results, and then give up. Or they'll hear about some other diet and give that a try. As a middle aged guy who doesn't play sports and has a desk job, I've learned that I do better on a low carb diet. Maybe some other guy who's more active can get away with high carbs. I've also learned that the types of foods I eat make a huge difference. Paleo agrees with me more than anything else. I'm not celiac, but I know that when I eat bread, I not only have a harder time losing weight, I also experience other health issues like allergies and fatigue. Someone else can have lots of dairy, but I can't because it makes my skin break out. I tend to ignore the people who say low carb is bad or paleo is bad or vegetarianism is bad. Ultimately, only you can know what's bad for you and what isn't. Are you losing fat? Are you health markers improving? Are you feeling better and do you have enough energy? If you can say yes to all of those questions, then continue doing whatever it is you're doing, no matter what anyone tells you. I follow my own diet which is really a hybrid of several. But it works for me and I'm probably in better health and shape now than I was in my 20s.
You are exactly right! just don't give up.. Find the trend in the thing that seems to be working for you. Also non scale victories are important. So maybe a person loses only 1 pound in a week. But all week, they did not choose pastries to combat stress. Which was more important? The thing that will carry the person the long road ahead - which is the non-scale victory. They count too! Of course, it would be nice to lose 3 pounds a week and overcome a food addiction at the same time.

the one thing that disturbs me about these specific diets is when people become super-religious about it - i.e. Paleo Diet - you MUST NOT eat anything that a caveman would not have eaten (ok so there goes the eggs out the door, cant eat them); the keto diet says "you must not eat a small banana" and about to crucify you if you happened to eat one.. the keto diet says "eat all this bacon and extra butter in your coffee" meanwhile saying dont eat a small tangerine which is more healthy for you than that butter.... etc etc. So i take the best of 4 different ones that work for me.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:10 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,671,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
the one thing that disturbs me about these specific diets is when people become super-religious about it - i.e. Paleo Diet - you MUST NOT eat anything that a caveman would not have eaten (ok so there goes the eggs out the door, cant eat them); the keto diet says "you must not eat a small banana" and about to crucify you if you happened to eat one.. the keto diet says "eat all this bacon and extra butter in your coffee" meanwhile saying dont eat a small tangerine which is more healthy for you than that butter.... etc etc. So i take the best of 4 different ones that work for me.
I'm glad you used the term super-religious. In the same way you can't judge Christianity or Islam by its followers, you can't judge a diet by its followers. I was following Paleo long before anyone had even heard of it and I get annoyed about how defensive and preachy some people get about it. If a diet says you must not eat this food or that food, that's fine. But there are degrees to which someone follows a diet. Some of us are just stricter than others. I do Paleo maybe 80-90% of the time. On the weekends, I'll indulge and have a burger, pizza, or ice cream. Someone who's stricter might say I'm not truly following Paleo. I'll just roll my eyes. I've met people who say they're Paleo, but they'll have a glass of wine every night with dinner. I won't lecture them, but in my mind I'm thinking they're not as serious about it as me. In the end, who cares what someone else is doing or calling it. I come back to religion. Someone could say they're Christian, but maybe they haven't been to church in months. I'm not going to tell them they're not a real Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss