Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm glad you used the term super-religious. In the same way you can't judge Christianity or Islam by its followers, you can't judge a diet by its followers. I was following Paleo long before anyone had even heard of it and I get annoyed about how defensive and preachy some people get about it. If a diet says you must not eat this food or that food, that's fine. But there are degrees to which someone follows a diet. Some of us are just stricter than others. I do Paleo maybe 80-90% of the time. On the weekends, I'll indulge and have a burger, pizza, or ice cream. Someone who's stricter might say I'm not truly following Paleo. I'll just roll my eyes. I've met people who say they're Paleo, but they'll have a glass of wine every night with dinner. I won't lecture them, but in my mind I'm thinking they're not as serious about it as me. In the end, who cares what someone else is doing or calling it. I come back to religion. Someone could say they're Christian, but maybe they haven't been to church in months. I'm not going to tell them they're not a real Christian.
Exactly!!!! i was reading an article in Time Magazine about diets. And they said basically, the best one is one that you tailor for yourself.. and some people were reported as having success after they tried several different ways. one person even gained 10 pounds while seeking the best way.. but one day you will find your niche and then settle into that, and that is when you find it works for you.

The other thing that i hear is "Diets dont work" No, thats not true. YOU did not work, rather. It means you tried a way of eating and then after a time, maybe a few months, you started back in your old ways. You got tired of disciplining yourself, and then you start to miss your old foods, or else you take that one step and never return. You start to justify why you need that piece of cake. But the most reason you say "diets dont work" is when you cheated one day, and it turned into two, then three, and then you never catch ahold of yourself and go back to your healthy way of eating.

Just ask anyone who claims diets dont work - ask them what happened, and you will see similar things happen. they left the diet and did not return.. maybe the diet itself was the problem - that they did not stick with it for life.

#2 - why diets dont work - because food is meeting other things for you than fuel. If you use food for love, for rewards, for emotional relief, self medicate, tastes good, its free leftovers, it was a gift, i cant dissappoint my mom who slaved over the stove all day; i'm celebrating; im stressed, i have no one to love me, someone hurt my feelings so this brownie will make me feel good, i got abused so i turned to food, i felt safe building up a wall to protect me from abuse, i'm going on vacation; im on a cruise, everybody does it; etc. these are the things that make us overweight.

Remember - food is fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Update June 8

My unscientific cheat WEEK was May 25-May 30 where I ate and drank ( yes booze beer mixers etc ) whatever I wanted on a golf vacation with my buddies

I gained exactly 7lbs ( went from 232 to 239 ) - took me exactly 1 week to lose the 7lbs back. This morning I was 232 on the scale. Pretty much my plateau weight for the past 5-6 weeks or so.

I see some strict compliance and some added exercise in my immediate future as I am about to push hard to get off this plateau and hit 220-225 by July 4 weekend hopefully

Was nice to get away on a vacation with buddies and partake in bad habits eating and drinking a bunch of no no foods.
I noticed that although everything tasted pretty good ... I just did not like the bloated full feel I got from the various food and drinks I had.

My normal diet state of minimal food intake and 99% water is a much more enjoyable life style

was a big relief to know I could walk on the dark side for a week and then instantly get right back into my regular routine and not miss the junk foods or carbs in the least

I am pretty sure I have my life long diet - eating plan oncourse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss