Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:16 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times

Advertisements

I researched the Atkins diet and Keto diets and a few others and kind of invented my own diet

It is obvious carb restricted as I stopped eating any taters or breads or rice and gave up my daily banana even when I discovered how many carbs were in a banana ( a lot )

I am 56yo male 6'1" tall and currently weigh 245 lbs ( started a couple months ago at 275 )

basically I have stopped all beers gatorades and any alcoholic drinks. never was a pop drinker so no biggie there. All I drink now is water and a couple cups of coffee in the morning ea day

My diet is mostly chicken ( Costco rotisserie ) and hard salami and fish a couple times a week ( salmon halibut etc )

I snack on unsalted nuts during the day: pecans and almonds.

Absolutely ZERO junk food ( chips cookies popcorn candy etc... )

I am eating a lot of above ground veggies - broccoli cauliflower celery raw spinach and making at least 1 salad a day and snacking on raw spinach with every meal or snack I can

eating at least 1-2 hard boiled eggs a day or a couple scrambled eggs. having a couple slices of bacon a few times a week. Snacking on medium cheddar cheese a time or 2 a day with the salami.

So far so good and my energy level is fine and I am super happy with the results and my clothes are very loose fitting compared to a couple months ago

I really look at food and eating and meal time so much more critically now than ever before. It was so easy to have a 'not give a crap' attitude about making bad food choices in what I ate as well as OVER EATING and eating late eve. I now make myself accountable and eat all healthy meals and maybe 1 cheat day every few weeks and then its back to work on eating right.

I think these changes I have made I can live with long term as I still have a ways to go to my target weight of around 210. The BMI scale says I am still obese ( I do not look or feel fat ) that number holds true at my height until I hit 228 lbs then I am no longer obese and just over weight - hahahaha Very sobering facts though

I am very muscular ( underneath all my flubber ) take zero meds and have normal blood pressure and feel as I am in good health. Just need to make a life style change and permanently slim down to a weight I feel good about myself and save my old body from breaking down too soon as I am still pretty active

I hope this posts helps others motivate themselves and will try to answer any question

sadly we are taught as kids to eat all the food groups bread dairy fruits and veggies etc ... well those fruits and certain veggies can make you FAT and unhealthy.

Not really going crazy and counting carbs or calories .. just taking the simple approach and eating healthier and less quantity and better quality of whole foods and nothing packaged or canned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I researched the Atkins diet and Keto diets and a few others and kind of invented my own diet

It is obvious carb restricted as I stopped eating any taters or breads or rice and gave up my daily banana even when I discovered how many carbs were in a banana ( a lot )

I am 56yo male 6'1" tall and currently weigh 245 lbs ( started a couple months ago at 275 )

basically I have stopped all beers gatorades and any alcoholic drinks. never was a pop drinker so no biggie there. All I drink now is water and a couple cups of coffee in the morning ea day

My diet is mostly chicken ( Costco rotisserie ) and hard salami and fish a couple times a week ( salmon halibut etc )

I snack on unsalted nuts during the day: pecans and almonds.

Absolutely ZERO junk food ( chips cookies popcorn candy etc... )

I am eating a lot of above ground veggies - broccoli cauliflower celery raw spinach and making at least 1 salad a day and snacking on raw spinach with every meal or snack I can

eating at least 1-2 hard boiled eggs a day or a couple scrambled eggs. having a couple slices of bacon a few times a week. Snacking on medium cheddar cheese a time or 2 a day with the salami.

So far so good and my energy level is fine and I am super happy with the results and my clothes are very loose fitting compared to a couple months ago

I really look at food and eating and meal time so much more critically now than ever before. It was so easy to have a 'not give a crap' attitude about making bad food choices in what I ate as well as OVER EATING and eating late eve. I now make myself accountable and eat all healthy meals and maybe 1 cheat day every few weeks and then its back to work on eating right.

I think these changes I have made I can live with long term as I still have a ways to go to my target weight of around 210. The BMI scale says I am still obese ( I do not look or feel fat ) that number holds true at my height until I hit 228 lbs then I am no longer obese and just over weight - hahahaha Very sobering facts though

I am very muscular ( underneath all my flubber ) take zero meds and have normal blood pressure and feel as I am in good health. Just need to make a life style change and permanently slim down to a weight I feel good about myself and save my old body from breaking down too soon as I am still pretty active

I hope this posts helps others motivate themselves and will try to answer any question

sadly we are taught as kids to eat all the food groups bread dairy fruits and veggies etc ... well those fruits and certain veggies can make you FAT and unhealthy.

Not really going crazy and counting carbs or calories .. just taking the simple approach and eating healthier and less quantity and better quality of whole foods and nothing packaged or canned
I eat fruit and bread and guess what I am healthy! Imagine that! I have even lost weight indulging in those nasty foods.
Look, you found something that works for you and that is great. But your diet sounds unbalanced, and frankly unhealthy to me.
All the food groups have something to offer, as long as the food from those groups is not fast food, prepackaged food, sugary baked foods, etc...
There is zero wrong with fruit. And zero wrong with root vegetables that you are avoiding for some strange reason. Whole grains offer minerals, nutrients, fiber.
Again, if it works for you great, just don't demonize foods that do not want to eat.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I eat fruit and bread and guess what I am healthy! Imagine that! I have even lost weight indulging in those nasty foods.
Look, you found something that works for you and that is great. But your diet sounds unbalanced, and frankly unhealthy to me.
All the food groups have something to offer, as long as the food from those groups is not fast food, prepackaged food, sugary baked foods, etc...
There is zero wrong with fruit. And zero wrong with root vegetables that you are avoiding for some strange reason. Whole grains offer minerals, nutrients, fiber.
Again, if it works for you great, just don't demonize foods that do not want to eat.
That is the thinking of a lot of people, however, it sounds like the OP is on a low carb way of eating and i see nothing wrong with it, as i am doing similar to him. Later on even the Adkins diet lets you add more carbs (fruit and such) when you get down to your weight loss goal. But for now, those things are not ok to eat and he should do as he sees fit.

Root veg and fruit has many carbs and therefore are not eaten when on a low carb diet.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
You know, my daughter in law was just here visiting. She lives on pizza and chips, soda, bread, fruit, candy and cookies. She hates vegetables. She is as lean and healthy as they come. I can only wish to someday have her BMI.

Just because she can eat all those foods doesn't mean I can eat all those foods. When I attempt to convince myself that I should be able to eat bread or fruit just because she can, I quickly put the weight on and my cravings come back.

We are all different. Be happy that you, personally, are able to eat fruits and breads without gaining weight. Some of us can't, which is why we do well on low carb eating plans. No need to demonize us for our food choices.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You know, my daughter in law was just here visiting. She lives on pizza and chips, soda, bread, fruit, candy and cookies. She hates vegetables. She is as lean and healthy as they come. I can only wish to someday have her BMI.

Just because she can eat all those foods doesn't mean I can eat all those foods. When I attempt to convince myself that I should be able to eat bread or fruit just because she can, I quickly put the weight on and my cravings come back.

We are all different. Be happy that you, personally, are able to eat fruits and breads without gaining weight. Some of us can't, which is why we do well on low carb eating plans. No need to demonize us for our food choices.
Where did I advocate eating chips, pizza, soda, candy and cookies? Why do people wrongly assume that all carbs are junk?
Complex carbs that are found in whole grains are a wonderful source of fiber, minerals, nutrients, etc...
And some root vegetables are also a powerhouse when it comes to nutrition.

I am not knocking eating low carb, I am knocking the ignorance that goes with it for some people.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 03-27-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Where did I advocate eating chips, pizza, soda, candy and cookies? Why do people wrongly assume that all carbs are junk?
Complex carbs that are found in whole grains are a wonderful source of fiber, minerals, nutrients, etc...
And some root vegetables are also a powerhouse when it comes to nutrition.

I am not knocking eating low carb, I am knocking the ignorance that goes with it for some people.
Low carb is excellent if a person is heading toward diabetes, of course after it is ok'd with the doctor and there are not other conditions that this way of eating would be harmful, i.e if they are already in diabetes, or some other condition that they need to choose another way of eating.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Low carb is excellent if a person is heading toward diabetes, of course after it is ok'd with the doctor and there are not other conditions that this way of eating would be harmful, i.e if they are already in diabetes, or some other condition that they need to choose another way of eating.
I agree that for diabetes that low carb is a good choice.

My beef with the low carb advocates is when they assume all carbs are coming from junk and are simple. That is just not so.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
If you know it tastes REALLY good, don't eat it!!!

I mean, I like what I eat very much.......but it ain't as good as eating pizza, cake and corn-chips for every meal. Then again, with no discipline I would be 400 pounds and getting around in a fatcart.

So yeah, I do switch-off between various versions of low-carb, because my health declines whenever I start ramping-up the carbs.....even if it is "good carbs".

I TRY to follow the 90% rule. Eat high-quality/calorie-carb appropriate foods 90% of the time.......that gives me a maximum of 2 cheat-meals a week.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 PM

854 posts, read 1,704,145 times
Hard salami, bacon ? Not good.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Hard salami, bacon ? Not good.
Actually both are very good for you in a low carb / slight Keto style diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss