Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 AM

1,098 posts, read 901,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Well let's say plant-based (as opposed to junk-food-based) vegans do live longer. That is total correlation and not causation.
"Plant-based" is a dumb term. If you head out to a baseball game and you eat a hot dog on a bun, a jumbo pretzel, a large soda and fries you're technically eating both a plant-based and a junk-food-based diet.

If you're constantly eating heavily processed meat with other junk food (buns, pretzels, fries, sodas- All plant based) you're going to be unhealthy. I have a feeling that no anti-meat studies take this into consideration. All the researchers care about is the fact that you happened to eat a hot dog that day.

It's scary to think that some people think this thread is a 'troll.' There are some brainwashed people out there who are incapable of critical thinking.

Last edited by Jame22; 08-09-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:43 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
It's safe to assume (I bet) that there are very few gangbangers, for example, who kill themselves off at young ages bringing down the calculated life expectancy numbers, who are vegans. We could extend that argument to any number of riskier lifestyles.

Vegans, presumably health conscious, do or don't do many other things that improve their risks besides avoiding meat.

Is it the diet or the other things that lead to their longer lives?

BTW- genetics determine how long you can POSSIBLY live. Lifestyle and luck add in to determine how long you WILL live.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's safe to assume (I bet) that there are very few gangbangers, for example, who kill themselves off at young ages bringing down the calculated life expectancy numbers, who are vegans. We could extend that argument to any number of riskier lifestyles.

Vegans, presumably health conscious, do or don't do many other things that improve their risks besides avoiding meat.

Is it the diet or the other things that lead to their longer lives?

BTW- genetics determine how long you can POSSIBLY live. Lifestyle and luck add in to determine how long you WILL live.
And they tend to be highly educated, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, don't do illegal drugs, watch their waistlines, and don't drive way over the speed limit.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
I looked at this thread and the original post and thought to myself that it was very troll like and a typical straw man. Although, I'm sure you can find some articles and the like making the claim that Vegetarians live longer lives, I really thing this a fake claim that morphed on the internet. This all started from a claim that 7th Day Adventists had the longest life spans as a group, and to my knowledge, that has not been disproven. But there is much more that goes into that beyond a Vegetarian diet.
Actually there had been a pretty stable influx of people in here denouncing meat consumption (probably something to do with the erroneously based and patently absurd protein-phobia from a few members) and propping up plant-based diets. This was simply posted to remind them that objective science does not really support their cultist like beliefs.

Did I also post this to kick a bit of sand in their faces? Yes--obviously--but doesn't change the fact that the science is very solid.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:19 AM

882 posts, read 688,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Actually there had been a pretty stable influx of people in here denouncing meat consumption (probably something to do with the erroneously based and patently absurd protein-phobia from a few members) and propping up plant-based diets. This was simply posted to remind them that objective science does not really support their cultist like beliefs.

Did I also post this to kick a bit of sand in their faces? Yes--obviously--but doesn't change the fact that the science is very solid.
It also doesn't change the fact that the claim was bogus from the start, so you indeed simply created a straw man. Clearly it's easier to defeat that than a real argument.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Longevity versus health -- not equal!

I had a much loved uncle who lived into his 90's. He worked in the medical field. He was obese ever since I knew him.

Through the magic of modern medicine, he lived a long life. Long life is good. BUT he had a number of serious diseases. He took 12 pills a day. In his last 20 years, he could hardly move, let alone exercise

There is longevity. Then there is health.

I'd rather live a shorter life of robust health than live a long life of pain and illness.

Through trial and error, MY diet works for ME. Does yours work for you? Are you healthy -- then, carry on!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
It also doesn't change the fact that the claim was bogus from the start, so you indeed simply created a straw man. Clearly it's easier to defeat that than a real argument.
I don't think you understand what a strawman argument is. Let me help you.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Now feel free to go back to my original post and show where any of that was actually done.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 AM

882 posts, read 688,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I don't think you understand what a strawman argument is. Let me help you.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Now feel free to go back to my original post and show where any of that was actually done.
Yawn. Give it a rest. I understand very well what a straw man is and so do you. I do find it humorous how someone can take glee in debating such a bogus, and misrepresented claim.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 08-10-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think instead of focusing on how much meat people eat we should focus on increasing the amount of veggies everyone eats. It seems like most of the benefits of vegetarian and vegan diets is the increased produce consumption. And it appears good health correlates to veggie consumption. So more veggies would be good for everyone.
Bingo. Eating meat is not the issue; what people aren't eating enough of is. Vegetarians and vegans as a group consume more fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts/seeds, and legumes: all foods that are known to reduce health risks.
[URL="http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232985/"]http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232985/[/URL]

Eating small to moderate amounts of animal protein should not have negative effects, so long as it isn't causing people to eat fewer health-promoting plant foods.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:38 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Bingo. Eating meat is not the issue;
But but but..plenty of biased studies PROVE otherwise

In other words, most research studies on diet and nutrition are completely worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss