Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 8,102 times

Advertisements

How does orange/apple/cranberry juice fit into your doctor's recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
I think sugar in fruit is very different from the same amount of grams of cane sugar. Most of our sweeteners are highly refined in the process of being separated out of the sugar cane or guava plant or wherever else they're getting sweeteners from these days. And thus enter our blood stream very quickly causing a surge of insulin in many of us.

The sugar in fruit is still attached to everything else in the fruit. Our digestive system has to work to break it down to access each nutrient, and the sugar enters our blood stream much more slowly with less impact on our systems.

That said, I wouldn't eat 5 fruits per day on a regular basis. At least not the sweet ones that most of us identify as fruits. But if I look at it botanically, I probably eat more than 5. In botany, anything that has seeds inside of flesh is considered a fruit. So zucchinis are fruit, cucumbers too. All winter squash. All legumes are fruits. Tomatoes and avocados as someone already mentioned. Yeah I eat more than 5 botanical fruits per day.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,776 times
There are many fruits you can eat to help your weight loss better, like grapefruit, pear, avocado ...Depending on the mode of nutrition you are using. except bananas, bananas can also eat but eating bananas are very difficult to apply.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
First of all, I would never take dietary advice from a doctor. They have very little training when it comes to nutrition. Many still peddle the BS about eggs raising cholesterol. Others are ignorant about gluten and I've even met doctors who didn't know what high fructose corn syrup is. Second, I would ignore anyone who gives the same dietary rule for everyone. We all live different lifestyles and respond to diets differently. One person can get away with eating a lot of carbs per day while another can't. Fruit might be healthier than candy, but it still breaks down to sugar. If you're someone who isn't very active to begin with, then why do you need more carbs in your diet? Eating vegetables is far better. But fruit is better than processed junk and I'm sure that's why your doctor told you to eat more. By eating more fruit, you'll have less room for junk food.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
One day my doctor told me that we need to eat at least 5 fruits 5 a day. Really! I don't eat so much, if I eat 5 fruits a day, I can barely eat something else. If this is true, then, what is considered 5 fruits a day? One or two cherries are considered a piece of fruit? Do you eat 5 pieces of fruit a day?
5 servings of fruit is a lot for me. I try to keep my diet low carb and it is tough to do if I eat a large amount of fruit. I do add a few berries to yogurt or eat a small piece of fruit every now and then but 5 pieces of fruit per day is a lot of sugar for me. I think it probably depends on your dietary goals.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I think sugar in fruit is very different from the same amount of grams of cane sugar. Most of our sweeteners are highly refined in the process of being separated out of the sugar cane or guava plant or wherever else they're getting sweeteners from these days. And thus enter our blood stream very quickly causing a surge of insulin in many of us.

The sugar in fruit is still attached to everything else in the fruit. Our digestive system has to work to break it down to access each nutrient, and the sugar enters our blood stream much more slowly with less impact on our systems.

That said, I wouldn't eat 5 fruits per day on a regular basis. At least not the sweet ones that most of us identify as fruits. But if I look at it botanically, I probably eat more than 5. In botany, anything that has seeds inside of flesh is considered a fruit. So zucchinis are fruit, cucumbers too. All winter squash. All legumes are fruits. Tomatoes and avocados as someone already mentioned. Yeah I eat more than 5 botanical fruits per day.
This is really important. While fruit does have a more favorable glycemic index (how quickly blood sugar rises) than some other foods the glycemic load (how much blood sugar rises) of some fruits is pretty high. You have to consider both. A serving of pineapple has about the same glycemic load as a cup of hot chocolate. While you wlll get more nutrition with the pineapple, you will get roughly the same blood sugar response from both. If you are trying to control blood sugar spikes you need to be careful with fruit. Some are better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss