Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times

Advertisements

If I couldn't eat pizza, I'm not sure I'd want to go on living.

How's about all things in moderation? How much dairy do most people have? I mean, I have half-and-half in my morning coffee, maybe pizza twice a week and occasionally a cheeseburger. I also love steak but limit that to maybe every other week.

Sometimes I wonder when people say they gave up dairy and they lost all kinds of weight, were they eating a pint of Hagen Daz every day? Or were they eating pizza every day? Maybe the removal of dairy was incidental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I also believe in moderation and I have a pizza in the freezer and I think about it. I would love one or two pieces but end up eating the personal size myself. That is a lot of carbs. I do believe many drink a lot of dairy milk and yet we're the only living beings that drink milk after weaned from mothers. Dairy industry is strong. Got Milk???

Old 06-01-2017, 11:56 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,422 times
It's not "normal" for most humans to drink milk after weaning.

However, lactase persistence is real, and probably allowed the populations of NW Europe to survive at many points. For the folks who have lactase persistence, dairy can be a good addition to their diet.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:25 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
I am the one who touted many of dairy's excellent virtues on metabolic health. However, having stated that, I regretfully do not like the taste of regular milk and thus do not drink it. Thus, I key in on just about every other dairy product.

Dr. Ray Peat (Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Oregon, with specialization in physiology) is an expert in nutritional health with an emphasis in metabolic health. He points out in this highly informative column milk/dairy in better context than folks that disparage it simply because they feel like humans are weird for drinking milk outside of infancy. This column really helps put milk's many health benefits into context:

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

Old 06-01-2017, 01:04 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I also believe in moderation and I have a pizza in the freezer and I think about it. I would love one or two pieces but end up eating the personal size myself. That is a lot of carbs. I do believe many drink a lot of dairy milk and yet we're the only living beings that drink milk after weaned from mothers. Dairy industry is strong. Got Milk???
I hear this logic often and it always, always, always makes me laugh. We're also the only species that successfully uses opposable digits, wears clothes, relies on speech to communicate, can create fire, and stand completely erect. I'm not ready to give up any of those either.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I hear this logic often and it always, always, always makes me laugh. We're also the only species that successfully uses opposable digits, wears clothes, relies on speech to communicate, can create fire, and stand completely erect. I'm not ready to give up any of those either.
Not only that, but most mammals are happy to drink milk past infancy..if they can get it! Plainly, they have no real means of getting it unless it is given to them by humans. True, dairy does not agree with all of them just as it does not agree with all humans. But when one of my cats was very sick, the only thing he would eat for days was plain, full-fat yogurt. It probably saved his life.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We're also the only ones who cook potatoes, makes pasta out of the base ingredients, makes soy sauce, purify our water.....

I know its such a silly thing, but people keep repeating it.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:19 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I personally think the whole "dairy causing mucus" is BS. I quit my cheese and butter for awhile and it made NO difference whatsoever. So I am eating it again. I do have a problem with milk, it gives me gas and I cannot digest it. Same with ice cream, which I also do not eat. Cheese and butter (which are cultured) have NEVER been a problem for me in any way. I believe they are very healthy foods, and very satisfying to boot!

Old 06-02-2017, 05:55 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If people wonder why they have mucus, dairy is probably the biggest reason. I had a friend and she's gone now, and omg, the mucus problem was terrible and she drank glasses of milk daily.
I have heard that before, but it never affected me that way. Like bookspage, I used to love drinking a glass of milk. It makes me feel so good when it hits my stomach. It's very pleasant and satisfying.

But, it's also very high in fat, even the 2%, and skim is just no point. That's NOT satisfying, lol.

Now my indulgence is a little half-and-half in my morning coffee. I buy almond or cashew milk on the rare occasion when I want cereal or I use it in my oatmeal.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I personally think the whole "dairy causing mucus" is BS. I quit my cheese and butter for awhile and it made NO difference whatsoever. So I am eating it again. I do have a problem with milk, it gives me gas and I cannot digest it. Same with ice cream, which I also do not eat. Cheese and butter (which are cultured) have NEVER been a problem for me in any way. I believe they are very healthy foods, and very satisfying to boot!
Yes, I have heard it's just one of those tales that has no actual basis in fact, but some people swear it made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss