Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 05:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,850,794 times

Advertisements

Just listening to KFI radio and they are broadcasting from Orange County at a Vegan Food Expo and Mark Thompson co host was being quizzed about his almost All Vegetable diet and he said the thing that really "set him free" was getting rid of dairy.

I am almost cheese free except for some goat cheese now and then and still like my goat milk yogurt. That's it...on the dairy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 05:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,477,686 times
I just put a little org milk in my org coffee.

Because of that , if someone offers it in their food ...I'm ok...I'll live.
But, ya gotta stay away from the chemicals ...

Old 05-27-2017, 06:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,849,404 times
I went vegan for about 4 months ( I now eat fish), and I learned that dairy and I have never really gotten along. I don't miss it. I have in a pinch used half and half in my coffee when traveling.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:57 PM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
Love all dairy-products........do not care for liquid-milk. If I could get away with it, I would eat dairy-products each and every day.

Inflammation, yes, depending on what type of dairy I eat, it will flare-up my creaky joints. Butter seems to go down fine......aged cheeses, which I love, seem to be the worst culprits.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 PM

17,578 posts, read 39,271,099 times
They will have to pry my cheese and butter from my cold dead hands! lol! I love hard aged cheeses, and grass-fed butter. I am trying to eat less than I used to. Doesn't seem to affect me badly and cheese has lots of protein and nutrients. Better than eating cake! I do not, however drink milk or eat ice cream, can't handle it.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:33 AM

9,927 posts, read 7,826,395 times
Our whole family has problems with dairy.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,735,124 times
Actually, while many people give up on dairy due to the perceived high-fat, high-calorie weight gains that they fear it will provide, one almost could not consume a more potent stoker of metabolic rate than dairy.

Dairy is a saturated fat. Saturated fats (like coconut oil as well or beef) are strong agonists to optimal thyroid function and thus to optimal bodily metabolic rate.

Further, like eggs, dairy is a source of full and complete protein, meaning that all standard dietary amino acids are found in dairy. Dairy protein is extremely easily digested (its why people utilize whey protein or casein protein drinks or supplements) and thus contributes steadfastly to optimal muscle strengthening/development. And we all know that stronger core muscles increases the metabolic rate at rest of the individual.

In addition to its muscle growth/strengthening properties, dairy's easily digestible protein is particularly beneficial in the muscle recovery process, thus minimizing muscle wear and shortening soreness/recovery times, allowing for more regular exercise. This is a primary reason why chocolate milk has gained fame in running circles as an optimal recovery drink. It has some of the sugars that are beneficial at replenishing glycogen stores, and the proteins are especially helpful at the muscle repairs that running demands.

Further, dairy is one of the food types with the highest ratio/proportion of calcium to phosphorus. It appears very likely that having as strong a calcium-to-phosphorus ratio in the body is very supportive of a strong, healthy metabolic rate.

SEE: Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio, PTH, and Bone Health – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

It is likely that having reduced fat dairy is more healthful for weight loss/prevention of weight gain as the extra fat calories in full-fat dairy are not particularly helpful or beneficial. However, if one is not struggling with their weight and are interested in simply maintenance, full fat dairy is perfectly acceptable.

Many dairy products - including the real dirty words "ice cream" - contain a proportion of fat - protein - carbohydrate (i.e., sugar) that are very effective at lowering or blunting stress hormone levels. Stress hormones (such as excess adrenaline levels) antagonize thyroid function and thus optimal metabolic functioning. As such, utilizing dairy to mitigate stress hormones is an effective practice, helping to stoke the body's natural metabolic processes. This is a primary reason why the old adage of having warmed milk to help to fall asleep makes sense as well; personally I would advocate for a small scoop of ice cream instead, however, that is just me!

That ratio of fat - protein - carbohydrate makes dairy a particularly satiating food, so one is less likely to overeat when incorporating low fat dairy into the diet.

Don't like regular milk? Think of substances such as low-fat cottage cheese (which also provides sodium to help blunt stress hormone responses) or low-fat yogurt/Greek yogurt/low-fat sour cream. All substances are very pro-metabolic rate, particularly the cottage cheese and yogurt.

I imagine one could be an athlete without dairy in their diet, however, doing so would seem to complicate matters unnecessarily. Low-fat dairy is a perfect food to aid exercise gains and to contribute to an optimally functioning thyroid/metabolic rate.

Moo!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,512,669 times
I love dairy. I don't eat cheese because it's too high in sodium. But I drink three glasses of cows milk a day. I crave it when I don't have it and sometimes will feel sick without it. Must be that North-Western European lactase persistance

Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,533,789 times
I love dairy but it affects my sinuses. Can't eat it very often anymore.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,850,794 times
If people wonder why they have mucus, dairy is probably the biggest reason. I had a friend and she's gone now, and omg, the mucus problem was terrible and she drank glasses of milk daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss