Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,816 times

Advertisements

I have a vitamix that I rarely use these days and lately I've been obsessed with juice...so I've been toying with the idea of getting a juicer. However juicers are pretty expensive and it seems like a lot of the fruit is wasted...i did find some recipes where you can use the waste...but with my busy life i wonder how often I'll actually do that.

Juice is easier to swallow/digest...but i am sort of fascinated by juicing right now.

What is actually healthier/better for you? it seems smoothies...but why are there so many juice cleanses out there and juice shops opening up? what is the draw to juicing? Something about it seems fresher and cleaner than smoothies...but I'm not sure if this is actually the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I have a vitamix that I rarely use these days and lately I've been obsessed with juice...so I've been toying with the idea of getting a juicer. However juicers are pretty expensive and it seems like a lot of the fruit is wasted...i did find some recipes where you can use the waste...but with my busy life i wonder how often I'll actually do that.

Juice is easier to swallow/digest...but i am sort of fascinated by juicing right now.

What is actually healthier/better for you? it seems smoothies...but why are there so many juice cleanses out there and juice shops opening up? what is the draw to juicing? Something about it seems fresher and cleaner than smoothies...but I'm not sure if this is actually the case?
I've never invested in a juicer, I've gone thru phases of juicing, buying juices, but didn't get big into the smothies. When I made my veggie juices it was in my blender, and I would get some pulp but that was ok with me....used a base of coconut milk often or almond milk BUT watch the sugars no matter what you
decide on.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks, I even bought a cheese cloth thing that can be used with the vitamix...it seems like quite a process and messy...but i dont have a chic juice store near me, not to mention the juices are about $9.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
I have been making smoothies with my NutriBullet lately, but want to try juicing. Just the other day I got my juicer out of storage. It is an Omega Vert that I bought at Tuesday Morning for half the price, so that is a place you might get a good deal on juicers because the prices are exorbitant. I went to their online site and downloaded a ton of recipes and today will start prepping for a juice cleanse. I bought the fruits and vegetables for a five day cleanse, cost about $50. Looking forward to it.

I like smoothies for when I am on the go. They're faster.
I like juices for cleansing.

Here is a website that tells about the two (although it appears to be biased toward juicing, it does give a good comparison of the pros/cons of both).

Juicing Vs Blending - Find out which is the best and healthiest

I like both, for their individual benefits.

There is NOTHING like fresh carrot juice IMHO!

Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Neither, I think it is best to eat the WHOLE fruit & veggies, you get the fiber & all the nutrients, plus you feel fuller.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:26 PM

hmm...well that's not always as fun I do eat veggies and fruits but i think you get benefits by blending a large amount into juice or smoothie. There's no way i'm eating a whole bunch of kale, carrots, peppers, apples, pineapples, etc throughout every day. Plus i like to chia seeds and acai berries into them.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
I love my Vitamix and I make smoothies which I generally prefer over juice. If I want to have a juice I will get it at a place that makes them. By the time you buy all the veggies and fruit to juice and then have to clean the juicer, it is much cheaper and easier to just buy one.
Juice does not have fiber so I prefer smoothies where you get the whole fruit or veggie.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:27 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

If you can afford $500.00 for a Vitamix blender, you can afford a juicer. But really, the Vitamix (LOVE LOVE LOVE those things) is all you need. I upgraded from a Nutri-Bullet to a Vitamix and can imagine living without it. I know a lot of people with those who use it everyday.

As far as which is healthier between juicing and blending, that will depend on what ingredients you use, but blending IMO is better (and easier to clean up) and nothing is wasted. Just keep in mind how much sugar (not just grandulated sugar, but sugar contained in fruits) you use and be aware of how many actual servings of food/fruit you put into the blender and you should be fine. Dont blend 3 days servings worth of berries into one drink, otherwise you'll see the poundage on the scale start to quickly climb up and up and up.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:10 PM

983 posts, read 1,182,375 times
I experimented with the juicing thing a few months ago and quickly realized I was drinking a self created sugary drink that had waaaaaayyyyyy to many carbs and sugars in it.

So I nixed that diet aid real quick.

Will I still make a juice once every few weeks if I get the urge ? Yes of course, but making 1 or more daily is ingesting too much sugar and calories ( depending of course on what you are juicing )

Just wasn't for me. I like 0 calorie water as my drink of choice all day everyday and low carb - calorie restriction has helped me drop 40lbs since the end of Feb this year

Old 07-01-2017, 01:21 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Neither, I think it is best to eat the WHOLE fruit & veggies, you get the fiber & all the nutrients, plus you feel fuller.
I totally agree with this post!

Also, I've owned several juicers through the years and ended up selling them because it was too time-consuming to keep them clean.

A compromise might be to get a good blender for making drinks.

But I've found that sliced apples with a little cheese makes a great snack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss