Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times

Advertisements

I love all the grains, farro, spelt, bulgar, wheat berries, barley.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sounds like you're doing great! If you feel like answering, have you always been a fit person?
No, I went through a period of several years in my 50s where I was going through menopause, had a lot of personal problems and depression and literally ate myself sick. Food was my "drug" of choice, especially sweets. I had no control and I did not care. I developed a lot of problems and weighed about 200 lbs. ( I was mostly fit and slim all my life until this period of time) Anyway, I got my act together when I was diagnosed with Type 2 D, (not to mention I felt like crap all the time) started exercising and dropped a ton of weight. I am over 5'8" and my weight now stays between 140 and 143, and I have a good bit of muscle. I work out every single day, although I don't do heavy strength training anymore due to past injuries and some arthritis and disc compression. I ride my bike, take dance classes and do yoga, plus a few bodyweight exercises. Every day.

Bottom line, for me it boils down to all things in moderation. I just never tell myself there is something I "can't have" - that does not work for me. Rather if I want it I have it. Occasionally I go a little too far with a "bad food" (OMG, I am ADDICTED to kettle potato chips!) but when I do that I just get right back on track and make up for it. At the end of the day it is all about what you do MOST of the time, not some of the time.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I love all the grains, farro, spelt, bulgar, wheat berries, barley.....
I had farro for the first time this summer. Had never heard of it. I briefly tried one of those ingredient/recipe food services, and there was farro as part of one meal. I liked it.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:40 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are some great whole wheat variations! Or have bulgur instead! It can be used in similar ways and is whole wheat.

I have had delicious couscous, at a Moroccan place
. The best ones seem to be steamed and it turns magically fluffy. But if you do not have time for that, I find that couscous is really sensitive to water ratios. And also, it helps to toast it in some oil before cooking.

Interesting idea. I have been using quinoa in places I would have used couscous. Bulgur is a good option too.
Now that sounds good. I find I like the Moroccan flavors.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:41 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
No, I went through a period of several years in my 50s where I was going through menopause, had a lot of personal problems and depression and literally ate myself sick. Food was my "drug" of choice, especially sweets. I had no control and I did not care. I developed a lot of problems and weighed about 200 lbs. ( I was mostly fit and slim all my life until this period of time) Anyway, I got my act together when I was diagnosed with Type 2 D, (not to mention I felt like crap all the time) started exercising and dropped a ton of weight. I am over 5'8" and my weight now stays between 140 and 143, and I have a good bit of muscle. I work out every single day, although I don't do heavy strength training anymore due to past injuries and some arthritis and disc compression. I ride my bike, take dance classes and do yoga, plus a few bodyweight exercises. Every day.

Bottom line, for me it boils down to all things in moderation. I just never tell myself there is something I "can't have" - that does not work for me. Rather if I want it I have it. Occasionally I go a little too far with a "bad food" (OMG, I am ADDICTED to kettle potato chips!) but when I do that I just get right back on track and make up for it. At the end of the day it is all about what you do MOST of the time, not some of the time.
Thanks for that. So great that you found what works for you!

Old 11-18-2017, 06:52 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,207,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
We all have a unique metabolic makeup so I don't think that there is one answer as far as the perfect diet plan for everyone.
I think this is key....there are quite a few metabolic types. Some can eat just about all the carbs they want...others can hardly eat a baked potato per day and keep the pounds off. It's a pain to do this...but there are ways you can find out which type of plan you should be on for your body type, and then the going is much easier. I did it, and it makes all the difference in the world for me. My body type is very susceptible to eating a high carbohydrate diet of REFINED CARBS. I can eat "real food" and it's so much better for my level of food cravings and keeping the weight off. I found out I need to cut out all refined foods. Once I committed to doing that, it's been painless, but it took me a lifetime to figure all this out, with a some help from the professionals.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
I'm in the boat of carbs = weight gain for my body. I've been able to increase my carbs to around 30g per day and have slowed my weight loss to around 2 lbs per week. I should be moving to 50g carbs per day in the next week to plateau and move into the maintenance phase. I'm within 5 lbs of my target weight for the first time in years. I feel better, sleep better, and have almost zero food cravings. I've found that I now eat when I know it's time and no just because I think I want something.

While it may not work for everyone I think I've found that it works for me. But as with everything in life, others mileage may vary.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'm in the boat of carbs = weight gain for my body. I've been able to increase my carbs to around 30g per day and have slowed my weight loss to around 2 lbs per week. I should be moving to 50g carbs per day in the next week to plateau and move into the maintenance phase. I'm within 5 lbs of my target weight for the first time in years. I feel better, sleep better, and have almost zero food cravings. I've found that I now eat when I know it's time and no just because I think I want something.

While it may not work for everyone I think I've found that it works for me. But as with everything in life, others mileage may vary.
2 pounds a week should be your target. You really should be not losing more than that per week. As you gt closer to your goal the weight comes off much slower. I doubt carbs are the culprit. But do whatever works for you. Just know if you only have 5 pounds to go it could take 5 weeks to get there. Those last pounds are very stubborn.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,512,973 times
My diet while on vacation has largely been full of fatty meat and I've had nothing but digestive issues. I guess my body has fully adapted to a grain based diet so that when I eat lots of fat I'm condemned to unpleasant trips to the toilet. Tmi but it's just interesting.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,495,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My diet while on vacation has largely been full of fatty meat and I've had nothing but digestive issues. I guess my body has fully adapted to a grain based diet so that when I eat lots of fat I'm condemned to unpleasant trips to the toilet. Tmi but it's just interesting.
There are other sources of fiber besides grains. I consume a LOT of vegetables to combat this problem.

This is a funny word I heard the other day in a movie called "Victoria and Abdul" and they mentioned the queen was not getting enough in her diet.

roughage
fibrous indigestible material in vegetable foodstuffs that aids the passage of food and waste products through the gut.

It may be TMI but I know what you are talking about. Cheese is the worst thing for this as you may well know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss