Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 PM

282 posts, read 235,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's not true and it's your opinion. Potatoes are high in fiber, potassium, and are a good source of Vitamin C and some B vitamins. I wouldn't call that "little nutrition". Little nutrition is a Twinkie. And you're not "settling" by eating a potato. A baked potato is filling and an acceptable food choice. There is nothing unhealthy about a potato.

And sometimes people just enjoy eating potatoes, regardless of where they fall on a food graph. And they should as there's nothing wrong with them.

And you claim to have cut carbs out of your diet for "health". So that would include beans since they are carbs primarily, am I right?
One small baked potato (skin on) with a few forksfull of broccoli, some sun-dried tomatoes, and a sprinkling of feta cheese with some olive oil drizzled over the whole thing, and you've got a whole meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 PM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
For better or worse, San Francisco is an anomaly in terms of being a city in the US that has a very high population density. Its figures would be somewhat more aligned with European countries in certain regards.
Why would just the fact of population density matter?

New York's obesity is 25%.

https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/obesity/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,604,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
One small baked potato (skin on) with a few forksfull of broccoli, some sun-dried tomatoes, and a sprinkling of feta cheese with some olive oil drizzled over the whole thing, and you've got a whole meal.
And it's also a low calorie payload, even with the olive oil you suggest. People think potatoes are bad because french fries are high in calories; that's because of the oil they're fried in. Or because mashed potatoes are high in calories; that's because of the butter et al that's added.

A baked potato minus butter or sour cream is a great food choice, particularly with the skin included.

There is an important distinction between carb's from natural food sources and those from processed foods. We tend to overreact as a species to any nutritional guidance, with no better example than this.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:54 AM

22,064 posts, read 25,443,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And it's also a low calorie payload, even with the olive oil you suggest. People think potatoes are bad because french fries are high in calories; that's because of the oil they're fried in. Or because mashed potatoes are high in calories; that's because of the butter et al that's added.

A baked potato minus butter or sour cream is a great food choice, particularly with the skin included.

There is an important distinction between carb's from natural food sources and those from processed foods. We tend to overreact as a species to any nutritional guidance, with no better example than this.
Not necessarily a bad food choice with the butter and sour cream either. Just depends, both are high in fat (obviously) and saturated fat... but then saturated fat isn't bad for you, just maybe not as good as unsaturated. For someone with high cholesterol maybe those should be limited even though there's at best inconclusive evidence that saturated fat has anything to do with cholesterol the generally consensus is it may be better to replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated ones.

Personally, I have no problem with the calories in french fries. My problem with french fries is acrylamide. Potatoes to begin with aren't the best nutrient dense food and adding a bunch of fat to them obviously isn't going to help that any. But then there's room in a balanced diet for less nutrient dense foods like potatoes, rice, or wheat. They're fine as part of a diet unless you have some specific reason not to eat them: diabetic, Celiac (wheat), extremely low calorie diet where getting proper nutrition is difficult.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-21-2017 at 02:12 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 AM

7,419 posts, read 5,356,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not necessarily a bad food choice with the butter and sour cream either. Just depends, both are high in fat (obviously) and saturated fat... but then saturated fat isn't bad for you, just maybe not as good as unsaturated. For someone with high cholesterol maybe those should be limited even though there's at best inconclusive evidence that saturated fat has anything to do with cholesterol the generally consensus is it may be better to replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated ones....

Potatoes to begin with aren't the best nutrient dense food... .
Reduction of the unsaturated double bond in unsaturated fats is accomplished by oxidation of arteriolar intima-- ie- unsaturated fats cause oxidative damage to arteries. "Anti-oxidants" are supposed to be good for us and reducing agents bad. So much for the value of unsaturated fats.

For a plant based food, potatoes are actually very good nutrition with >25% RDA of many vit & minerals Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt Nutrition Facts & Calories

Most fruits & veggies have <10%-- that's why USDA recommends 9-10 servings/day.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,870,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Reduction of the unsaturated double bond in unsaturated fats is accomplished by oxidation of arteriolar intima-- ie- unsaturated fats cause oxidative damage to arteries. "Anti-oxidants" are supposed to be good for us and reducing agents bad. So much for the value of unsaturated fats.

For a plant based food, potatoes are actually very good nutrition with >25% RDA of many vit & minerals Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt Nutrition Facts & Calories

I don't know of anyone who would eat baked potato naked and without salt. I love baked potatoes but I put salt and a little olive oil on them.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:

A medium potato w/ skins has ~25% of C, B6, and potassium, 20% of manganese. It also has 160 calories.
A serving of broccoli has ~ 200% of C, and K, 13% of B6, 15% manganese in less than one third of the calories. It has higher nutrient density for all the common vitamins and minerals than a potato does. Potatoes are okay. A bit better than brown rice for nutrient density but not nearly as good as even fairly non-nutrient dense starchy vegetables like corn.

It's not so much for the value of unsaturated fats, it's just that unsaturated fats may cause problems as well. Especially with polyunsaturated fats there is increased peroxidation which may lead to damage especially of the central nervous system. On the other side, high saturated fat intake may cause increased rates of cancer and heart disease. Everything is a may as it's not exactly easy to do a long-term study on humans to see what the actual effect is. Certainly high polyunsaturated fats leads to increased preoxidation... does that then lead to increased rates of disease such as macular degeneration? It might.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:57 PM

282 posts, read 235,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I don't know of anyone who would eat baked potato naked and without salt. I love baked potatoes but I put salt and a little olive oil on them.
I do. I stab them a few times with a fork, then wrap them in wet paper towel and nuke them for 5 minutes. They come out soft, moist, and nutty tasting. No toppings necessary. I also enjoy them with cheese and broccoli (as previously mentioned) but that's only if I'm eating it as my entire meal. Sometimes even some shredded white meat chicken under the cheese too, but only if I happen to have some in the fridge.

If I'm just having lunch, or eating some other food with it (like a big salad), it's fine just as is, nothing on it at all.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:04 PM

7,419 posts, read 5,356,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
A medium potato w/ skins has ~25% of C, B6, and potassium, 20% of manganese. It also has 160 calories.
A serving of broccoli has ~ 200% of C, and K, 13% of B6, 15% manganese in less than one third of the calories. It has higher nutrient density for all the common vitamins and minerals than a potato does. Potatoes are okay. A bit better than brown rice for nutrient density but not nearly as good as even fairly non-nutrient dense starchy vegetables like corn.
Back in the good ol' days when they were still allowed to do experiments on prisoners, it was found that scurvy (Vit C deficiency) did not appear in anybody on a completely C free diet for at least six months-- and that's for a vitamin that has no storage depot in the body. .. I'm not impressed with broccoli's excess C.... Nobody needs K in their diet-- our bowel flora provide it all for us- a good example of commensalism- both host and parasite benefit from the relationship.... Manganese is everywhere.

Potatoes have better nutritional value over all than broccoli despite the 160 cal. Broccoli has single digit percentages of all other vits & minerals-- way behind potatoes. Broccoli, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

We can't argue about tastes. If you like broccoli, go for it, but it has pretty poor nutritional value-- like most veggies taken singly.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Back in the good ol' days when they were still allowed to do experiments on prisoners, it was found that scurvy (Vit C deficiency) did not appear in anybody on a completely C free diet for at least six months-- and that's for a vitamin that has no storage depot in the body. .. I'm not impressed with broccoli's excess C.... Nobody needs K in their diet-- our bowel flora provide it all for us- a good example of commensalism- both host and parasite benefit from the relationship.... Manganese is everywhere.

Potatoes have better nutritional value over all than broccoli despite the 160 cal. Broccoli has single digit percentages of all other vits & minerals-- way behind potatoes. Broccoli, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

We can't argue about tastes. If you like broccoli, go for it, but it has pretty poor nutritional value-- like most veggies taken singly.
Only if you consider less nutrients to be better nutritional value. If you don't like broccoli, that's fine. That it has "pretty poor nutritional" compared with a potato, however, is just laughable. I eat plenty of potatoes myself. I just don't need to make up stories about how they are more nutritious than broccoli. That's just factually incorrect. Even if you take vitamins nad minerals that broccoli doesn't have a whole lot of, it still has more than potatoes. Niacin, only .9mg in 50 calories of broccoli versus 2.4mg in 160 calories of potatoes. One has to have a fundamental lack of basic arithmetic to make the claim you're making.

And yes, we're perfectly capable of storing vitamin C. Scurvy symptoms begin to appear at around 300 mg... over three times the recommended daily intake of vitamin C. Why? Because we have the ability to store vitamin C, contrary to what some vitamin peddler may have told you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss