Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This isn't about me. It's about the idea that people are afraid to reduce their carbs even if it could be beneficial to them.
It depends on who you are referring to. For obese people trying to lose weight, limiting carbs is a good idea. Diabetics should also watch the carb intake. Healthy people that need to lose weight or just to remain healthy do not need to lessen their carb intake.
And veggies have carbs too. So when you are talking about carbs you need to be specific on what you mean.
Most people do just fine eating all kinds of carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
It depends on who you are referring to. For obese people trying to lose weight, limiting carbs is a good idea. Diabetics should also watch the carb intake. Healthy people that need to lose weight or just to remain healthy do not need to lessen their carb intake.
And veggies have carbs too. So when you are talking about carbs you need to be specific on what you mean.
Most people do just fine eating all kinds of carbs.
Of course. I would assume anyone who does low carb would look into low vs high glycemic carbs.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:55 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
If you're trying to lose weight and be healthy, then restricting carbs AKA keto style diet is only a temporary fix and not healthy for many people.

How did I switch from a very low carb diet (no more than 20 grams of carbs per day) to a high carb diet (70-80 percent of daily diet) and not only lose weight, but improve my blood lipid profiles?

And by carbs, I mean many sources of carbs, including 'evil' white rice, bread, pizza, and pasta? And even occasional indulgences in french fries, cookies, etc.?

Hmm, could it be the fact that I no longer eat meat, dairy, or eggs?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
According to The Center for Science in the Public Interest, low-carb and low-fat diets work equally well. They recommend cutting back somewhat on both fat and carbs.

I've cut a lot of carb-laden foods out of my diet--anything high in sugar, grains, or potato. But I still eat fruit and veggies, and sometimes even splurge on ice cream. Not eating bread, pasta, or rice means I cut some fat, too; those all taste best slathered with butter!

I'm losing about a pound a week. I've reached my first goal, and am 2 lbs away from my 2nd goal (20% of my body weight).

Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
This isn't about me. It's about the idea that people are afraid to reduce their carbs even if it could be beneficial to them.
What specific people are you talking about? You are stating this as if it is true of a large portion of the general population, but I don't think I've met many people who are "afraid to reduce their carbs". Are you thinking of people you know? Relatives? Friends? Strangers on Internet message boards?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
What is so wrong with eating "potatoes, bread, rice and pasta"??? It's like some sort of indoctrination or something "thou shalt not eat potatoes rice and pasta". Despite the fact that potatoes eaten as nature intended only have 110 calories, the skin contains fiber, they are chock full of b vitamins. A slice of whole grain bread has fiber and b vitamins, 90-140 cals per slice, the pasta I eat is 190 cals per cup, 7 grams of fiber and b vitamins. All of these things can easily fit into ones diet with no weight gain. These foods are not the devil. You don't have to slather on the butter, sour cream, etc. you don't have to eat two cups of rice or pasta or a football sized potato. Portion control.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What is so wrong with eating "potatoes, bread, rice and pasta"??? It's like some sort of indoctrination or something "thou shalt not eat potatoes rice and pasta". Despite the fact that potatoes eaten as nature intended only have 110 calories, the skin contains fiber, they are chock full of b vitamins. A slice of whole grain bread has fiber and b vitamins, 90-140 cals per slice, the pasta I eat is 190 cals per cup, 7 grams of fiber and b vitamins. All of these things can easily fit into ones diet with no weight gain. These foods are not the devil. You don't have to slather on the butter, sour cream, etc. you don't have to eat two cups of rice or pasta or a football sized potato. Portion control.
It's just anti carb propaganda nonsense perpetuated by the meat and dairy industry, fueled by the rise in the keto/paleo/low carb movement, that all carbs are 'bad.'

Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, I don't understand it myself. It's as if the humble baked potato is lumped in with French fries and potato chips. Personally, of my favorite quick dinners is a baked potato topped with veggie chili.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What specific people are you talking about? You are stating this as if it is true of a large portion of the general population, but I don't think I've met many people who are "afraid to reduce their carbs". Are you thinking of people you know? Relatives? Friends? Strangers on Internet message boards?
First, this is a general discussion. I'm basing the question on the myriad of people who will reject low carb outright because they believe there is no way they could reduce their carb intake. Like I've said repeatedly, low carb has its merits and while it isn't for everyone, perhaps many more people could benefit from not introducing so many carbs into their body. America has a growing diabetes issue and that dietary disease is preventable for most people.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
First, this is a general discussion. I'm basing the question on the myriad of people who will reject low carb outright because they believe there is no way they could reduce their carb intake. Like I've said repeatedly, low carb has its merits and while it isn't for everyone, perhaps many more people could benefit from not introducing so many carbs into their body. America has a growing diabetes issue and that dietary disease is preventable for most people.
I understand that, but I am asking where you get the idea in the first place that there's this "myriad of people" who think the way you say they do/reject low carb out of a belief that they can't reduce their carb intake. It's an honest question.

I have never heard anyone say that. You must have, or you wouldn't have posted that. Who are these people? How do you know they exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss