Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM

51 posts, read 43,525 times

Advertisements

I am a diabetic and wonder how do I adjust my diet to reach my points. I cant have cantilope, strawberries, pineapples since the sugar makes my numbers go ski high. how does one do weight watches when you cant eat what they consider a very low points. I am disappointed I cant have all the frest fruits anymore. what am I missing here. I do know that when I eat cantolope my numbers jump, grrr what am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I would guess non-starchy vegetables were also very low points, so maybe you can fill up on green salads, summer squash, broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Strawberries and cantaloupe are usually some of the best fruit choices for a diabetic, and pineapple and grapes are not. Are you sure strawberries cause you problems?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
You should contact WW. They have special plan guidelines and suggestions for diabetics.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:18 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, IMO Weight Watchers isn't suitable for diabetics and pre-diabetics. Some endocrinologists recommend a low-carb diet for their patients with blood sugar issues. for that reason. The above poster is on the right track: green veggies, non-starchy veggies (no root veggies, as they're sweet/starchy) + protein are what to focus on. Avocado or a half artichoke may also be ok. They're a bit starchy, but may be ok in small amounts.

You'll have to develop a taste for mixed green salads. I eat a big salad every day, with cucumbers, a variety of greens (swiss chard helps lower blood sugar, btw), and my own oil and vinegar dressing with green onions marinated in the dressing, is now something I look forward to every day. I grate sharp cheddar cheese into it, for an extra kick. You can vary the mixture of greens, for variety. You can add thin slices of red cabbage. You can try radiccio. You can look for purple romaine at the farmer's market or your local co-op. You can start to get jiggy and experimental with your salad ingredients. This helps make it fun and yummy, as well as highly nutritious.

I also have a cheese omelet once/week, with some sautéed yellow squash or thin zuchini slices, and green onions. Experiment with sauces or flavors on chicken: lemon chicken, garlic chicken, chicken cooked in sour cream, paprika chicken, chicken marinated in yogurt and baked (Bulgarian chicken), etc.

In other words, knowing that you can no longer have fruit (are you sure blackberries/ raspberries won't work?), find something else to substitute as a treat. Try new flavors, to make your new diet restrictions fun and delicious. Psych yourself for it; the mind can be a powerful tool. Also note that, though you're not allowed to have sweets (fructose in fruit) or starches, you can have fats. Cheese is fine. High-protein yogurt (Greek yogurt) is ok in modest amounts (plain, unsweetened). Experiment with fish. Enjoy poached salmon with a side of sautéed squash/mixed veggies. Have a hamburger patty with melted cheese and fresh avocado spread and tomato and cucumber slices for lunch. Give the burger some extra flavor by frying it with chopped garlic inside, and a side salad and fresh string beans. Find the lowest-carb bread you can find, instead of a standard bun for the burger, if bread doesn't provoke your sugars too much. But it's tasty enough without bread.

Get creative. Redefine "treat" for yourself, and switch mentally over from fruit, to some other special dishes.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:24 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
WW can give you good guidelines about what to eat if you want to stay on the program. Do you go to meetings? If so you can talk to them there.
If you don't want to continue with WW but want to follow a 'plan' Paleo or South Beach might be better since they focus on low carb. Personally I love WW. I think it is an excellent plan - but you will need to adjust your eating.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 AM

51 posts, read 43,525 times
wow you all know your stuff!! I read the replys to my question, thank you all for taking the time and knowledge to help me. I have it in a file online now so I can try all that was suggested.

I have been a w.w. member in the past and started yesterday going back on plan.
thanks again and will keep all that you guys said in mind, I started writing down my meals and blood sugar numbers and dropped 101points from bs already this morning and lost 2 lbs already lol. I am 200 lb and 5 f/2inches.

for me I learned its not what the scales says its how inches I lose in clothing size. I will see how my clothing fits that lets me know how I'm doing. and also exersice. sorry for the typos I use to know how to spell. lol
Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss