Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:33 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling like a loser by comparison. Only 16 pounds over 3-1/2 months. I will keep plodding though.

Not a good day. I am too tired to exercise and so hungry I can't think clearly, even though I've already eaten my allotment of calories. I won't let myself pig out, but I am going to have to eat something else.

In a self-loathing kind of mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm feeling like a loser by comparison. Only 16 pounds over 3-1/2 months. I will keep plodding though.

Not a good day. I am too tired to exercise and so hungry I can't think clearly, even though I've already eaten my allotment of calories. I won't let myself pig out, but I am going to have to eat something else.

Have you been logging your food diligently? Are you eating enough protein and healthy fats? You are still averaging over a pound a month and that is a good thing. Don't be so hard on yourself. If it comes off slow chances are much better that it will stay off. For me exercise is the number one way to boost self esteem and alter a bad mood. Take a walk, go for a run, lay on the floor and do some planks or ab work.
And you may want to change up your exercise. If you don't already do any HIIT - high intensity interval training, start. It will jump start your metabolism by burning more calories after your stop working out.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:51 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:

We have those days. Please stop using the word "only". That's 16 lbs removed from your body, so yes you are a "loser" In addition, if my memory serves me right you are older. Let's face it, things aren't the same as they used to be. The key thing is the number is going down.

If you are truly hungry, then yes you should eat. Eat something light and nutritious, enough to manage the hunger. Whatever overage can be mitigated by the days when you may not be as hungry. My husband is trying to lose weight too and finds himself constantly hungry and out of calories. I tell him that if he is truly hungry -- as in a need for sustenance vs. cravings -- then yes, satisfy that. Eat some nuts, a cheese stick and maybe yogurt, popcorn..something that isn't very high in calories but has volume to satisfy.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We have those days. Please stop using the word "only". That's 16 lbs removed from your body, so yes you are a "loser" In addition, if my memory serves me right you are older. Let's face it, things aren't the same as they used to be. The key thing is the number is going down.

If you are truly hungry, then yes you should eat. Eat something light and nutritious, enough to manage the hunger. Whatever overage can be mitigated by the days when you may not be as hungry. My husband is trying to lose weight too and finds himself constantly hungry and out of calories. I tell him that if he is truly hungry -- as in a need for sustenance vs. cravings -- then yes, satisfy that. Eat some nuts, a cheese stick and maybe yogurt, popcorn..something that isn't very high in calories but has volume to satisfy.

Kroger hard boiled eggs are becoming my 'secret weapon'.

They come in a carton of 6, with 3 sealed packages in each carton....2 eggs in each sealed package. Calories per egg = 60.

$2.49 per carton of 6.

$2.29 when the Kroger card discount is available.

Other chains might have similar packaging.

Popcorn has helped me in the past, but I'm finding now that packing quite a bit of protein into my allotted calories is working out better for me this time. Just judging visually, it seems as though more of the weight I'm losing is fat. The last time I was well into normal weight range I could 'grab more' than I can now. IIRC, I've got about 12 pounds to go before I hit the top of normal weight range for my height.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:

Don't compare yourself. You have no idea how much weight the original poster has to lose compared to yourself. I lost 16 lbs last year and it took months. It was hard. But I don't have a lot to lose. When comparing yourself to other people you cannot compare the numbers straight up.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Have you been logging your food diligently? Are you eating enough protein and healthy fats? You are still averaging over a pound a month and that is a good thing. Don't be so hard on yourself. If it comes off slow chances are much better that it will stay off. For me exercise is the number one way to boost self esteem and alter a bad mood. Take a walk, go for a run, lay on the floor and do some planks or ab work.
And you may want to change up your exercise. If you don't already do any HIIT - high intensity interval training, start. It will jump start your metabolism by burning more calories after your stop working out.
A pound a week is what I think you meant. . And yes, I log every crumb. The exercise is what I think is exhausting me. I am not exactly sore but kind of stiff and like my muscles feel exhausted for a couple of days after I do the 30-minute circuit at PF, and I recently increased the weights on the machine. On the off days I walk a couple of miles. Try to jog at intervals but it's a little too painful to keep up for long.

Not making excuses, but it definitely takes longer to recover from a workout at this age in comparison to when I was young.

I think also with other physical activity this weekend--cleaning out a closet and swimming, it caught up to me. I work 3 days a week, MTW, and yesterday was Monday so of course I didn't get to sleep enough. Fell asleep around 10 last night, so today I feel better because I got that 7-1/2 hours sleep. It makes a difference.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Don't compare yourself. You have no idea how much weight the original poster has to lose compared to yourself. I lost 16 lbs last year and it took months. It was hard. But I don't have a lot to lose. When comparing yourself to other people you cannot compare the numbers straight up.
You are right. I think last night was just hard and discouraging. I felt tired and hungry and sad. I have so much work I am supposed to be doing--I need to paint closet doors so the guy can come install them, I need to move a bed out of the house, I need to clean carpets--and I came home from work exhausted and had no energy to do anything and I wasn't supposed to eat any more food but I was hungry. Then I read all these posts from people who are losing mega-pounds and I'm killing myself for a pound a week. Lol. Comparison isn't a good habit.

Ended up having some lettuce and tomato and thawed a handful of cooked frozen shrimp. Not too damaging.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Thank you.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I keep track of my calories each day and I exercise daily, 7 days a week. I feel better than I have in years. I eat no more than 1250 calories a day and I don eat after 5pm at night. I am an early morning person so I eat breakfast at 6 in the morning. I will be 61 in a few more weeks. I would like to lose 10 more pounds and then just maintain. I have asthma, COPD, and a few other heath problems. I was always on steroids, and I gained weight. I am now trying some herbal remedies for my asthma and they seem to be working.
Fantastic!!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:00 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,268 times
I have been taking Grape seed extract, Black seed oil and Lobelia. I started in January with this combination and I stopped having daily asthma attacks, I found after a month I could do more than just cross the room and be breathless. I have had asthma since I was a child. I have chronic bronchitis and I normally get it for 3 months a year and I get put back on steroids for it. This year I had bronchitis but it lasted a month and I didnt need steroids at all. I have allergies to alot of things, like grasses trees, dust, etc. I can walk now and breath easier. This combo helps with the allergies, my nose doesn't run all the time and I am not coughing constantly.

My internal medicine doctor has been amazed at how well I am doing. She and my neuro recommended I move because my next option would have been oxygen. I decided in January I needed to do something or I needed to move. I was on the phoenix site here at city data and some one said they had tried Lobelia and it helped alot. So I tried lobelia, but it wasn't enough, so I added grape seed extract, and I did pretty good, but still a few problems I read about black seed oil and I decided to add it and Voila that combination has kept me doing great!!

This worked for me and I am so glad it did. It has changed my life. Thank you for all the Congrats I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss