Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Instant oatmeal with dried coconut and cranberries.

He had what suspiciously felt like a blockage and not run of the mill constipation and is wondering if it was the oatmeal because it feels like cement when it dries in the bowl.
Why doesn't he flus -- oh, the OATMEAL feels like cement in the bowl.

Instant oats shouldn't cause constipation unless he's eating an entire box every day. Excess fiber can constipate. Opioids can cause serious problems too.

He can try taking a stool softener and drink plenty of water. If he keeps having problems he should go to the dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Why doesn't he flus -- oh, the OATMEAL feels like cement in the bowl.

Instant oats shouldn't cause constipation unless he's eating an entire box every day. Excess fiber can constipate. Opioids can cause serious problems too.

He can try taking a stool softener and drink plenty of water. If he keeps having problems he should go to the dr.

No opiates, already drinks lots of water. Just wondering ...

Doctor is a last resort. No health insurance, hasn't been in 25 years and if anything is wrong he would rather not know.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Instant oatmeal with dried coconut and cranberries.

He had what suspiciously felt like a blockage and not run of the mill constipation and is wondering if it was the oatmeal because it feels like cement when it dries in the bowl.
Doubt its the oatmeal. Are they active? Do they eat dairy? Do they take medication? So many different reasons for constipation. I am fairly certain the oatmeal is not the culprit.
Not wanting to know if something is wrong with you is not healthy at all. Your friend needs to get to a doctor, the constipation could be a symptom of something. They should look for a clinic. Chances are since they have not seen a doctor in so long a full workup will be necessary.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Doubt its the oatmeal. Are they active? Do they eat dairy? Do they take medication? So many different reasons for constipation. I am fairly certain the oatmeal is not the culprit.
Not wanting to know if something is wrong with you is not healthy at all. Your friend needs to get to a doctor, the constipation could be a symptom of something. They should look for a clinic. Chances are since they have not seen a doctor in so long a full workup will be necessary.
He don't care. His life is a complete mess so unnecessarily prolonging it doesn't seem to be in his best interest. Going into all the whys would take multiple posts across multiple forums and I don't have time for that.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:24 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with oatmeal every day as long as you get plenty of protein and vegetables the rest of the day. Some people get cravings eating carbs for breakfast too. If your friend feels like they're starving and they eat too much the rest of the day, that might be a reason to stay away.

I agree that the instant packets are bad. Then again, my personal opinion is that adding sugar or any caloric sweetener to home cooked oats is just as bad. I add fresh fruit, or unsweetened frozen fruit, usually berries, for a little sweetening. It took some getting used to after decades of adding 1/2 cup brown sugar but it's actually quite delicious. Oats, tsp of butter, cinnamon and nutmeg, 1/2 cup blueberries, and I use heated almond milk. Cow milk is fine too. Mmmm mmmm good!
Lilly (if I may take the liberty to call you by your first name)- you started out well, but then fell into the trap about "natural" sugar. Why isn't the glucose-fructose disaccharide sucrose extracted from sugar beets or sugar cane as good as the glucose & fructose monomers contained in grapes, blueberries or other fresh fruits? There's really no difference nutritionally speaking.

OTOH- the fruits add other flavors, textures and nutrients not contained in the table sugar.

I'm not questioning your choices, only the commonly held reasoning about sugars.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Lilly (if I may take the liberty to call you by your first name)- you started out well, but then fell into the trap about "natural" sugar. Why isn't the glucose-fructose disaccharide sucrose extracted from sugar beets or sugar cane as good as the glucose & fructose monomers contained in grapes, blueberries or other fresh fruits? There's really no difference nutritionally speaking.

OTOH- the fruits add other flavors, textures and nutrients not contained in the table sugar.

I'm not questioning your choices, only the commonly held reasoning about sugars.
I actually prefer my middle name, thank you.

The sugar in fruits is still attached to the rest of the nutrients so your body takes longer to break it down and it enters the blood stream more gradually.

For many of us, that tbsp of sugar can cause serious cravings that impact food choices the rest of the day. I understand that there are plenty of people who don't have the craving problems with sugar, but many of us do and since this is a weight loss forum, I'm assuming that there are more of us here than in the average population that are overweight due to overeating refined carbs.

Plus fruit is more satisfying to me. IIRC a tbsp of honey or sugar is about the same calories as 1/2 cup berries. I'm going to feel fuller with the berries. It takes longer to eat the berries and takes some chewing so I'll be feeling satisfied sooner.

Last but not least, do it for the teeth! Sugar and honey stick to the teeth and are immediately available to the bacteria, promoting tooth decay. Fruits have much less impact on your enamel.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Oatmeal is good for reducing bad cholesterol. If one has a daily (reasonable size) portion of oatmeal (and not the kind that is pre-sweetened with sugar, etc.), I don't think it would cause any long term problems. If one has constipation problems, usually adding fiber to one's diet helps.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,493 times
Quote:
No.

I want an actual discussion with multiple opinions.
Why? What good is that, getting personal opinions from random strangers on the Internet? Actual information from reliable sources on health is the only useful information.

Especially if you're "asking for someone else".

Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM

19 posts, read 10,406 times
I can't see there being a problem if they were eating the good stuff, but if they were eating the instant oatmeal that are loaded with sugar, then that will definitely be a problem.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
As long as it fits within one's daily/weekly caloric budget, it should be fine. Even the instant kind. It shouldn't cause digestive problems. If anything, oatmeal has fiber. Your friend, if he's trying to lose weight or maintain weight, should be mindful of the extra calories he includes with the oatmeal such as coconut and cranberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss