Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:00 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Blame the victim huh? It is like when I got to my hair salon and they ask me if I would like blah blah cut or shee shee cut. I don't know your the "professional". Professionals are supposed to know what they are talking about. With regard to nutritionists you can get most of the basics off the internet.
I would never in a million years walk into a hair salon without being able to tell the stylist what I wanted (and in this day and age, without having photos on my phone to show them). I think a professional allows for a collaborative approach where I can explain what I need or want, and they have the knowledge and skills to provide that.

Clearly you have different expectations of professional interactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 AM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Oil can have a lot of calories. A spoon of olive oil (yes the extra extra virgin oil stuff) can easily have 100 calories. Make sure u consume what u really think u are consuming. No sweet ice tea or Cook out burgers. You can just skip any dressing and use juicy veggies and shredded cheese. Make sure the count all calories like cheese or croutons which will double/triple the amount.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Quick backstory, I need to lose some weight. My doctor put me in touch with the nutritionist who works in his office, but I felt like I didn't get what I was looking for out of that meeting. Sure she gave me the high level "eat this, not that" stuff that (let's face it) everyone knows.

If you know it, why aren't you doing it?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2017, 04:19 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Quick backstory, I need to lose some weight. My doctor put me in touch with the nutritionist who works in his office, but I felt like I didn't get what I was looking for out of that meeting. Sure she gave me the high level "eat this, not that" stuff that (let's face it) everyone knows. Quite frankly I stopped listening when she suggested using salsa as salad dressing. I love salad and use simple olive oil/vinegar, so it's not like I'm drowning it in ranch or something.

I feel like I know what to eat/not to eat - but still fall short. What I was expecting was a plan. Is that more along the lines of a dietitian, or are nutritionist/dietitian interchangeable? Ideally I'd love to have a plan as in "eat this for breakfast, this for lunch" and so on. Something that I can stick to and know what to look forward to (and plan my shopping accordingly).

In any event, lately I've been hearing advertisements on the radio about "The Health Dare" (About The Health Dare, Preventative Nutrition Education). The ads indicate that you receive a personal coach and a plan. My hesitation is that there is not a single review about this company anywhere (good or bad) so I'm hesitant to contact.

Even if you're unsure of the the health dare...when it comes to nutritionists, is it just a matter of shopping around, or am I not looking in the right place? I know I can google meal plans and things like that but I would rather work one on one with someone to come up with a plan for me that will help me make the eating change that I need to make.

Thanks in advance!
I agree with your perspective, ignore the experts and trust your own amateur feeling regarding what makes sense.

I mean, how can reject the notion that olive oil/vinegar isn't a viable salad dressing option? Unless of course you care about calories. If you care about calories, maybe, perhaps, the nutritionist was doing their job. If you're open to using quantitative methods, consider that one tablespoon of olive oil is roughly 120 calories. On an entree sized salad most people tend to use 3-4 tablespoons of dressing. So with your healthy meal choice (which can by itself be well over 1,000 calories) you've now dumped somewhere close to an additional 500 calories into the nutritional mix. That's a massive payload of calories for someone trying to lose weight.

I too used to reject solid dietary logic. Then I had the good fortune to start paying attention to someone who had it all figured out. Sure, I ate responsibly insofar as food choices (broiled vs. fried, avoided lots of complex-carbs) but I was consuming way more calories than I realized or admitted to. Coincidentally, one of my favorite things was a house-made balsamic vinaigrette dressing which I had on my lunchtime salads at least three times per week. While I limited the amount to three tablespoons, that was adding 390 calories to my diet.

Once I accepted that I needed to reframe my view of food options and their related nutritional impact, the weight melted off.

The nutritionist wasn't supposed to design a diet, they were supposed to educate you on sensible food choices depending on your health goals. Stop looking for schemes or scams to lose weight and instead focus on controlling the balance between what you consume and what your body needs.

Achieving a consistent and meaningful calorie deficit is literally the only way to lose weight outside of surgery. Whether you achieve that via a diet, a reworked nutrition plan or fasting, that's up to you to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss