Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times

Advertisements

Quick backstory, I need to lose some weight. My doctor put me in touch with the nutritionist who works in his office, but I felt like I didn't get what I was looking for out of that meeting. Sure she gave me the high level "eat this, not that" stuff that (let's face it) everyone knows. Quite frankly I stopped listening when she suggested using salsa as salad dressing. I love salad and use simple olive oil/vinegar, so it's not like I'm drowning it in ranch or something.

I feel like I know what to eat/not to eat - but still fall short. What I was expecting was a plan. Is that more along the lines of a dietitian, or are nutritionist/dietitian interchangeable? Ideally I'd love to have a plan as in "eat this for breakfast, this for lunch" and so on. Something that I can stick to and know what to look forward to (and plan my shopping accordingly).

In any event, lately I've been hearing advertisements on the radio about "The Health Dare" (About The Health Dare, Preventative Nutrition Education). The ads indicate that you receive a personal coach and a plan. My hesitation is that there is not a single review about this company anywhere (good or bad) so I'm hesitant to contact.

Even if you're unsure of the the health dare...when it comes to nutritionists, is it just a matter of shopping around, or am I not looking in the right place? I know I can google meal plans and things like that but I would rather work one on one with someone to come up with a plan for me that will help me make the eating change that I need to make.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:04 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Quick backstory, I need to lose some weight. My doctor put me in touch with the nutritionist who works in his office, but I felt like I didn't get what I was looking for out of that meeting. Sure she gave me the high level "eat this, not that" stuff that (let's face it) everyone knows. Quite frankly I stopped listening when she suggested using salsa as salad dressing.

.............I know I can google meal plans and things like that but I would rather work one on one with someone to come up with a plan for me that will help me make the eating change that I need to make.

Do you think its possible that you are in the shape you are in now because of your attitude towards those who offer help/assistance? Im just saying, if there is a PROFESSIONAL who offers advice and you "stopped listening" because you dont want to do what they suggest, then maybe the problem is more serious than what is on the surface.

Your doctor referred nutritionist offered one on one advice but you "stopped listening". My suggestion to you is to pick up a few books on HEALTHY EATING and PROPER NUTRITION to arm yourself with better knowledge, then apply that knowledge to your everyday eating habits. Oh, and exercise daily with the highest intensity levels you can muster.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
You have unrealistic expectations. Sounds like you are looking for either magic or for someone to hold your hand while you eat. You can look up meal plans. You can find someone to customize a meal plan but it will be similar to what you would find in a book or online. No one can force you to put the correct foods in your mouth.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
I feel like I know what to eat/not to eat - but still fall short. What I was expecting was a plan. Is that more along the lines of a dietitian, or are nutritionist/dietitian interchangeable? Ideally I'd love to have a plan as in "eat this for breakfast, this for lunch" and so on. Something that I can stick to and know what to look forward to (and plan my shopping accordingly).

Thanks in advance!
I watch a tv show called My 600lb life and wondered what diet the doctor (surgeon Younan Nowzaradan) put them on to produce such good results pre bariatric surgery . Google and here it is =
http://cf.ltkcdn.net/diet/files/1350...-meal-plan.pdf
Not sure how much you weigh or how much you want to lose but this 1200 low carb per day diet will definitely impact your weight.

If you are unfamiliar with the show you can read about it here =
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.0f26ZO7LSjI

Old 09-29-2017, 07:29 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You have unrealistic expectations. Sounds like you are looking for either magic or for someone to hold your hand while you eat. You can look up meal plans. You can find someone to customize a meal plan but it will be similar to what you would find in a book or online. No one can force you to put the correct foods in your mouth.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't need someone to force me to do anything - I think more than anything I was dismayed at the lack of a "plan". If I'm paying to see a nutritionist, I would expect that the person take into account my current vitals, and my lifestyle, and come up with a gameplan. Is that unrealistic? I don't know, it was my first time having to deal with a nutritionist.

Obviously I (or anyone) can go online or purchase one of the tens of thousands of books, but I thought by seeing someone one on one it would have been more than the generic advice that could have been found elsewhere.

For what its worth, my vitals have always been historically excellent. Blood pressure, cholesterol, normal. Never took medicine a day in my life and rarely get sick (I can't remember the last time I had a cold). I walk 30-40 minutes a day on my lunch and workout 3X per week. Doctor just said I need to lose a few lbs and I thought I did the responsible thing by seeing a nutritionist.

I posted here to see if there were any nutritionists, or anyone who had a similar question, but if the resounding answer here is "look it up online" I'm guessing it is what it is.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:43 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
BoSox15--from the information you gave, it almost sounds like you know "good nutrition." That's what, IMO, a nutritionist is for: to teach you the right foods to eat. Just because one is overweight doesn't mean that one doesn't know HOW to eat.

Sounds like you just struggle with "amounts." You're eating too much, right.

In looking for a plan, you can figure that out yourself and you an also probably get meal plans on line.

My suggestion would be to log on to one of the weight loss sites (MyFitnessPal) is my favorite. Use their tools to calculate what you WANT to weigh and you will get a calorie range to follow daily. Then, find the foods you like and see how you can fit them into that.

If you don't want to do all that and want to have it done for you, I think that you're correct that maybe it's a "dietician" you are after versus a nutritionist.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
If you don't want to do all that and want to have it done for you, I think that you're correct that maybe it's a "dietician" you are after versus a nutritionist.
I don't know about the health dare.

But... I agree with the OP.. nutritionists / dieticians are a joke. What they should be doing is getting your records and asking your diet history. If I were going to do this I would..

(1) ask for a detailed diet history and any diet program "records" you had of that from the client.
(2) if you did a diet through a program I would get those records.
(3) I would have you tell me what you like in foods and what you don't like. I hate it when a "nutrionist" shoves fruit into my diet. I hate fruit. And I never have and never will eat it.
(4) I would ask, in detail, about your relationship with exercise. Does it work for you? Do you enjoy it? Is it realistic in your current life.
(5) I would have your metabolism tested TWICE.. to find out what we are working with. I don't see how anyone can propose any diet if they don't know what your actual RMR is. Twice in case of false reports.
(6) I would want detailed health records. Are you insulin resistant? Do you have any issue that would make dieting hard? A low but not medical thyroid.
(7) I would want to know what the dieter thinks trips him or her up every time.

This all should be targeted to YOU. We are all different until it comes to dieting. Then we are all like widgets.

I would then formulate a plan for the dieter
(1) if the dieter reports getting stuck all the time and gaining it back, I would propose a 13 to 16 week diet followed by breaks.
(2) if the dieter reports that exercise doesn't work for them... I would not recommend it. Or I might look into ways to get exercise though what they already have to do.. like house chores or home decorating.
(3) if the dieter does not like fruit but likes veggies I would double up on the low cal veggies.
(4) I would go over with the dieter foods that you may believe are low in calories but are not. Such as a store bought muffin (my local store just put up the calorie counts and their muffins are a stunning 850 cals)
(5) if the dieter thought that he or she needed some help to take the "edge" off, or had a low metabolism I would prescribe a diet drug.
(6) if the dieter had problems with emotional eating I would have them see someone. But not every dieter is fat because of emotional eating -- god. So don't send people off to therapists when they don't need any.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't need someone to force me to do anything - I think more than anything I was dismayed at the lack of a "plan". If I'm paying to see a nutritionist, I would expect that the person take into account my current vitals, and my lifestyle, and come up with a gameplan. Is that unrealistic? I don't know, it was my first time having to deal with a nutritionist.

Obviously I (or anyone) can go online or purchase one of the tens of thousands of books, but I thought by seeing someone one on one it would have been more than the generic advice that could have been found elsewhere.

For what its worth, my vitals have always been historically excellent. Blood pressure, cholesterol, normal. Never took medicine a day in my life and rarely get sick (I can't remember the last time I had a cold). I walk 30-40 minutes a day on my lunch and workout 3X per week. Doctor just said I need to lose a few lbs and I thought I did the responsible thing by seeing a nutritionist.

I posted here to see if there were any nutritionists, or anyone who had a similar question, but if the resounding answer here is "look it up online" I'm guessing it is what it is.
You might really benefit from joining Weight Watchers. Its a great plan that really teaches you about how to eat in the real world and how those foods will affect you weight wise. Its even better if you can find a local group and attend their meetings. It is going to be cheaper than going to a nutritionist, and the weekly weigh ins are great motivation.
Weight Watchers is what I did and I lost weight and it really helped me in the long run with for choices.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Instead of tuning out the nutritionist, perhaps you could have explained what help you needed from them in order to be more successful at weight loss?

Seems like that would have been a better option than a for profit company whose goal is to make money and who is paying to advertise on the radio to drum up business.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:54 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Instead of tuning out the nutritionist, perhaps you could have explained what help you needed from them in order to be more successful at weight loss?
Blame the victim huh? It is like when I got to my hair salon and they ask me if I would like blah blah cut or shee shee cut. I don't know your the "professional". Professionals are supposed to know what they are talking about. With regard to nutritionists you can get most of the basics off the internet.

Quote:
Its a great plan that really teaches you about how to eat in the real world and how those foods will affect you weight wise.
Its a horrible plan. They get all their information from corporate which isn't designed for anything but the most newbie dieter and the people that teach the classes are usually like "real house wives" of your town. Don't try to get any answers out of them either. They just read what weight watchers tells them to. When I got stuck on my diet, they just blamed me. They had zero answers for me. And made things worse. It is one size fits all. If you have any problems they will have zero answers for you. Or nothing you couldn't find on the internet. Never mind how out of wack their scales can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss