Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Most chain restaurants have the calories and nutritional breakdown on-line
Almost never eat at chains, except for maybe Chipotle and small QSR's like sweetgreen or Little Beet in NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think that eating out should really be a treat rather than a regular thing, personally. I'm not a big health nut (I am a fitness nut though) but I can tell you that even the best of restaurant food is laden with salt, sugar, stuff that wouldn't serve you well on an ongoing basis. Sodium makes a lot of people retain gobs of water (which adds lbs on the scale). the amount of calories in many of the items is ridiculous for what you get, not when you can cook a really awesome meal at home for less. Embrace eating food from your own kitchen, and let eating out be 1-2 days tops.

At 5'11, you are in that funky category of "having a few extra pounds". You're overweight, but not terribly overweight. Those with the smallest amount to lose find it the most challenging. I reiterate that restaurant food should not be your "go to". Cooking food from home can be less taxing than you'd think. The one meal that I don't get from home is lunch, so I do eat the frozen kind. You can also get ready made prepared (under 400 cals) lunches as well.
Good advice.

I work in NYC, and there are healthy-ish lunch options. Salad places, Mediterrean, lots of "health" focused eateries.

The problem is the portions. I've been doing it less and less because they're just so big. Or I try to eat some at lunch, and then some before I head home so that I barely eat anything when I get home.

I did buy a bunch of frozen entrees and plan to alternate those into my lunch schedule. And I bought a slow cooker to do more convenient cooking at home.

A nutritionist friend suggested jump starting my metabolism in the morning by eating something small. I'll either have a Soylent or a yogurt.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Almost never eat at chains, except for maybe Chipotle and small QSR's like sweetgreen or Little Beet in NYC...
Well then, you have a pretty good idea of calories if you order a steak and broccoli. I agree with your take on portion sizes, DH and I usually split a meal, or take half home as left overs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 551 times
You need to know your Total Daily Energy Expenditure and eat according to that.

Here is an excellent guide for you.

[url=http://healthtangent.com/bmr-tdee-losing-weight] [/url]

Last edited by neothegod; 01-03-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 05:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
About me: early 30’s, male, 195#, 5’11”.

Lost almost 15 pounds in the last year simply being a bit less indulgent with diet and walking more.

Would like to lose another 15 but hitting a wall. Plan on starting weight training.

But I’d also like to figure out what my calorie deficit should be. Basically the minimum amount of calories I should be consuming before I start to have energy issues and other bad effects.

I already try to eat pretty healthy, but I think I may need to reduce calories. What’s a good target?

Also, have heard so many conflicting opinions on skipping meals. Sometimes I’m just not hungry for extended periods, but I eat because it’s meal time. Thoughts there?

Try 2000 calories a day with as many or as few meals per day as you like. Weigh yourself every morning, take a weekly average, see how your weekly averages compare after about 4 weeks. Adjust as needed then.

Weight train, eat enough protein (minimum of about .6 grams per lb of body weight) and you will maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

If you want to throw in a cheat meal (meal, not day) once a week, go for it.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 2,256 times
First of all: Congratulations on your weight loss! 15 pounds is a fantastic accomplishment already. I calculated my daily calorie goal on this site: https://www.yazio.com/en/calorie-calculator. They also offer an app which is called YAZIO and it’s also a great help for tracking calories. I’m also working with a nutritionist and it seems that the calories the app calculated for me are quite appropriate. Your calorie deficit shouldn’t be too high otherwise you will feel hungry all the time and might not be able to provide your body with all the nutrients it needs. I wish you all the best on your journey and hope you’ll reach your goal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss