Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:35 PM

21,794 posts, read 28,166,701 times

Advertisements

About me: early 30’s, male, 195#, 5’11”.

Lost almost 15 pounds in the last year simply being a bit less indulgent with diet and walking more.

Would like to lose another 15 but hitting a wall. Plan on starting weight training.

But I’d also like to figure out what my calorie deficit should be. Basically the minimum amount of calories I should be consuming before I start to have energy issues and other bad effects.

I already try to eat pretty healthy, but I think I may need to reduce calories. What’s a good target?

Also, have heard so many conflicting opinions on skipping meals. Sometimes I’m just not hungry for extended periods, but I eat because it’s meal time. Thoughts there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 02:30 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
About me: early 30’s, male, 195#, 5’11”.

Lost almost 15 pounds in the last year simply being a bit less indulgent with diet and walking more.

Would like to lose another 15 but hitting a wall. Plan on starting weight training.

But I’d also like to figure out what my calorie deficit should be. Basically the minimum amount of calories I should be consuming before I start to have energy issues and other bad effects.

I already try to eat pretty healthy, but I think I may need to reduce calories. What’s a good target?

Also, have heard so many conflicting opinions on skipping meals. Sometimes I’m just not hungry for extended periods, but I eat because it’s meal time. Thoughts there?
Download a fitness app and that will give you a bit of a guideline. I like LoseIt. Probably err on the side of caution and deduct 50 calories from the amount they give you. If you aren't losing any more, then you've entered maintenance mode. To go into "lose" mode, it's like you said, calorie reduction. Some people just aren't hungry a lot. Consider yourself lucky because I'm hungry every 2-3 hours, lol. Eat when you're hungry, not because it's meal time. Eat a good sized meal when you are hungry and then follow your body's cues. Meal skipping becomes a problem when people overconsume when they do eat but do no adjustments throughout the day. If your calorie budget is 1600, it really doesn't matter how you arrive at that number at the end of 24 hours - two meals at 800, or three at 500+, etc.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Download a fitness app and that will give you a bit of a guideline. I like LoseIt. Probably err on the side of caution and deduct 50 calories from the amount they give you. If you aren't losing any more, then you've entered maintenance mode. To go into "lose" mode, it's like you said, calorie reduction. Some people just aren't hungry a lot. Consider yourself lucky because I'm hungry every 2-3 hours, lol. Eat when you're hungry, not because it's meal time. Eat a good sized meal when you are hungry and then follow your body's cues. Meal skipping becomes a problem when people overconsume when they do eat but do no adjustments throughout the day. If your calorie budget is 1600, it really doesn't matter how you arrive at that number at the end of 24 hours - two meals at 800, or three at 500+, etc.
Thanks for the info

Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,582,486 times
No matter your strategy, it's a straight-out numbers game.

Your resting calorie burn is right around 2,000 calories (+/- 100 calories) and with normal, non-exercise calories burned as part of just going about your day, is probably closer to 2,700. So, keep to around a 2,000 calorie per day consumption and you should lose the weight at a rate of about one pound per week.

Now, mix in exercise, particularly weight-training, and you're burning another 500-1,000 calories depending on what you're doing. My preference has been to not adjust consumption based on workout days but rather take the additional burn as more fat being shed.

The key to success though is getting good at tracking and recording what you eat. Keep to that 2,000 calories (or under) budget and only adjust based on results.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
No matter your strategy, it's a straight-out numbers game.

Your resting calorie burn is right around 2,000 calories (+/- 100 calories) and with normal, non-exercise calories burned as part of just going about your day, is probably closer to 2,700. So, keep to around a 2,000 calorie per day consumption and you should lose the weight at a rate of about one pound per week.

Now, mix in exercise, particularly weight-training, and you're burning another 500-1,000 calories depending on what you're doing. My preference has been to not adjust consumption based on workout days but rather take the additional burn as more fat being shed.

The key to success though is getting good at tracking and recording what you eat. Keep to that 2,000 calories (or under) budget and only adjust based on results.
The one issue I have with tracking is eating out. It's really unknown what the calories are.

Even when I get a burrito bowl at Chipotle and the calories are stated on the menu, I have my doubts.

But when ordering from independent restaurants and lunch places, which are my go to's, it's pretty hard to know how many calories. Also when cooking recipes.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
The one issue I have with tracking is eating out. It's really unknown what the calories are.

Even when I get a burrito bowl at Chipotle and the calories are stated on the menu, I have my doubts.

But when ordering from independent restaurants and lunch places, which are my go to's, it's pretty hard to know how many calories. Also when cooking recipes.
You can get a general idea if you know your calories. Also there are apps that list calories of all foods. When in doubt eat less. Butter, oil, and cream are pretty easy to detect in food. You can also ask to have your food prepared a certain way.
Here is the other thing to consider - when seriously trying to lose weight one has to re-examine old habits and routines. Maybe its time you start packing your own lunch. Its really not that hard to do if you plan a little. That way you are in complete control of what you eat.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:

When eating out, it's hard to really calculate calories. In that case, you either a) just eat until satiety (not overstuffed). barring eating something incredibly rich, this is a safe way to consume within your range, b) eyeball. in all likelihood restaurant portions are double portions. pasta is usually two cups. meat is usually a double serving, or c) eat at restaurants that do give nutritional information.

Personally, I restrict eating out to 1-2 days per week. It's not just the fat and calories, it's the sodium, which makes a lot of people retain water. When I do eat out, I don't bother counting really. I just enjoy as a "cheat meal". If you find yourself eating out multiple times per week try to make healthier selections (keeping in mind that not all things you think are healthy are in fact healthy. grilled chicken, vegetables not slathered in sauces, etc. are safe bets anywhere).

As for recipes, you can find out the caloric values for the individual ingredients and take it from there (i.e. if a recipe calls for 1 can of diced tomatoes, you can easily find that on the can, etc.) Again, if you're lazy, if the dish seems rich then just eat a smaller portion of it. I really don't count calories to the T now. After practice, you can pretty must guess how much you're eating.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,582,486 times
Quote:

That's no excuse. Here's one simple guide: https://www.precisionnutrition.com/c...-control-guide

Also, only order foods that are consistent with whatever plan you're following. I avoid sandwiches, fried food and carb-featured meals (e.g., pancakes) when eating out. I don't eat the bread when offered or drink sweetened beverages. I hardly drink alcohol as well.

If you have a basic strategy in place, eating out is a simple enough thing.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:

Most chain restaurants have the calories and nutritional breakdown on-line
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 PM

I think that eating out should really be a treat rather than a regular thing, personally. I'm not a big health nut (I am a fitness nut though) but I can tell you that even the best of restaurant food is laden with salt, sugar, stuff that wouldn't serve you well on an ongoing basis. Sodium makes a lot of people retain gobs of water (which adds lbs on the scale). the amount of calories in many of the items is ridiculous for what you get, not when you can cook a really awesome meal at home for less. Embrace eating food from your own kitchen, and let eating out be 1-2 days tops.

At 5'11, you are in that funky category of "having a few extra pounds". You're overweight, but not terribly overweight. Those with the smallest amount to lose find it the most challenging. I reiterate that restaurant food should not be your "go to". Cooking food from home can be less taxing than you'd think. The one meal that I don't get from home is lunch, so I do eat the frozen kind. You can also get ready made prepared (under 400 cals) lunches as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss