Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
count me in. I lost weight on the 5:2 diet a couple of years ago but let my eating habits slip.

First thing for me is to kick sugar

I have more than 10lbs to lose but its a good first goal.

current weight 168lbs 5'5" BMI 28.0
It's amazing what a difference that can make. After not much intake of refined sugar most of the year, the few times over the holidays when I had a big cookie with a lot of refined sugar in it...I felt a sort of 'sugar rush' that I didn't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I'm wondering how each of us determine our "ideal" weight? Is it by how we look and how our clothes fit, by BMI, or by some other formula?

I know I'll never weigh what I did in High School, but I'd sure like to shed some of the weight gained since then.

My clothes have all grown tight(er) since my falling off the healthy eating wagon since Thanksgiving. Carbs! Sugar! And lots of 'em. Not only the turkey got stuffed.

I want to lose weight for my health, but also so I don't have to replace my clothes with larger ones.

I used to smoke -- never had a weight problem then, but I sure had a lot of health issues. Healthier but pudgier now.

How about you?

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-17-2018 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Healthy weight for me is around 150 ish .... I'm 55 not 15 so I don't expect to be a size 0 but getting back into my favourite jeans would be nice.

Tomorrow is my yearly physical, I weigh about the same as last year and the same as last year my bloods will be drawn and my cholesterol will be up and she will nag at me. Thinking I probably need to move my yearly physical to the summer when I eat better (not to mention the sins of Christmas chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate). So yes I'm dieting for my health and for that of my doctor so she doesn't have to get so wound up when once again I refuse to take meds for cholesterol arghhh !!!!

I'm going to 6:1 instead of 5:2, that is fast once a week instead of twice, along with limiting carbs, cutting out sugar and not going back for seconds I'm hoping the weight will slowly drop off.

Right now I'm doing an intestinal flush with kefir and flax oh and oatmeal to *try* and flush some of those nasty cholesterols.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm wondering how each of us determine our "ideal" weight? Is it by how we look and how our clothes fit, by BMI, or by some other formula?

I know I'll never weigh what I did in High School, but I'd sure like to shed some of the weight gained since then.

My clothes have all grown tight(er) since my falling off the healthy eating wagon since Thanksgiving. Carbs! Sugar! And lots of 'em. Not only the turkey got stuffed.

I want to lose weight for my health, but also so I don't have to replace my clothes with larger ones.

I used to smoke -- never had a weight problem then, but I sure had a lot of health issues. Healthier but pudgier now.

How about you?
For me, it's about how clothes fit, not scale weight, BMI, or any of that other stuff. I'd rather be pudgy than be a thin smoker. Being a little overweight can increase health risk in some areas, but being a smoker is a guaranteed ticket to health misery. Quitting smoking is THE best thing you did for your body, and good on you.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I was so skinny that as a teen the doctor told me to eat baloney and cheese sandwiches and drink milk with them to gain. I got closer to a normal weight in my 20s, then in my 30s I gained 45 pounds during pregnancy and gave birth to a six-pound baby. She's 26, so I've run that excuse into the ground. :P

Put on some more after that. Had a health issue that required large doses of prednisone four years ago, and I blew up like a balloon at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Got rid of that, but still working my way down.

I won't say my weight, but I am six feet tall, and it is not as easy to detect it going on someone my height, and it's not as easy to see it when it comes off, either. I have a goal, though, that seems realistic and something I can live with. It is also about how my clothes fit and what size I wear more than the number on the scale. And how I feel. I feel better and move better since I lost the first batch.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:40 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Just read (somewhere) that the people who ate the most soup were thinner than those who ate little to no soup. Makes sense (if the soups aren't cream-based) due to the fluid and the bulk a vegetable soup would supply.

As it's winter and soup is good this time of year, I will be making a big pot of vegetabl-lentil soup...thought I'd pass on the tip.

We'll see if the soup is as soul-satisfying as mashed potatoes and gravy, which this cold weather makes me crave.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:

How about you?
Kudos to you for eliminating smoking.

I've never been a smoker...I joke that I grew up in a Schick Center....seeing what not to do. My father smoked 4 packs of unfiltered Pall Malls a day for 35 years, and my mother smoked 2 packs of filtered cigarettes a day for about 20 years....with severe consequences for each of them.

I didn't hit my tallest height (a smidge under 6' 4"...probably 6' 3 7/8 or 15/16") until I was 25.

Like my father, I was 6' when I was 13, but I never reached his tallest height (6' 7"). I had a bit of baby fat from the time I was 9-10 through my Freshman year in high school. During the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years, I started playing 6 hours of tennis a day...and I lost all the baby fat. I kept all that fat off until my late 20s. IIRC, I didn't go over 175 lbs through the rest of high school and, in college, weighed 178 a few weeks after I turned 21. I weighed 185 when I hit my full height at age 25, and stayed there for another 5 years or so. My wrist measurement = small frame, and my understanding is that normal range for 6' 3" for a small frame (not taking age into consideration) is 170 - 199 lbs. The 'Big Four' in Men's Tennis (Federer, Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic) are all young enough to be my sons, but Andy Murray is the closest to me in height...and he weighs 185. Plus I really liked what I looked like when I weighed 185 at age 25 .

In 2009 I got down to 179, but it wasn't a 'good' 179.....too much calorie restriction that seemed to consume muscle and leave fat. I'm eating much more protein this time, and not letting my daily intake ever get below 1,200 calories. Much better approach than in 2009.

I found a BMI calculator that allowed me to include age. It also flags 'below average weight for height (while taking age into consideration)'. I experimented with every pound to see which pound level would trigger that 'below average' level for me and that ended up being 189 lbs.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Checking in ... I've lost 12lbs since I last posted. BMI now down to 26.

Cut out just about all sugar, eating healthy balanced meals and I still haven't been on the treadmill as this cough just will not go away.

How's everyone else doing ??

Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:

How about you?
A respected cardiologist said that he always asked patients what they weighed/looked like/felt like on HS graduation day. That was his barometer for a healthy weight. So it was individual to each person, not based off some chart that didn't account for body type.

I think that would work for people older than 40. Younger generations, not so much.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Here's the deal -- no dues, no membership, no rules -- just a nice group of people like you--and me-- who might have had a wonderful holiday of eating all that good grub -- and now want to lose ten pounds -- more or less-- of holiday pudge.

I started today. First order of business -- cleaned out the fridge of all the old stuff --out of date stuff and melted, slimy vegetables. All sparkly new and clean now.

Then, went grocery shopping. Got a nice assortment of vegetables and fruit (berries). Skipped the cheese. Skipped bread. Bought lentils, barley. Black beans. And some canned salmon, some good quality sardines.

Gonna eat the Med diet...lots of vegetables, a bit of fruit, some chicken, more fish. That's it. Ditch the sugar, ditch the white carbs. Lots more salads, soups, beans one bowl meals. Eggs.

No sodas. Lots of water.

What do you think? Are you in???

Ten pounds.

Starting now.

Easy peasey?

Can we do it together??
Is it too late to join? I was thinking of Weight Watchers, but it's gotten so expensive, and not one close by. 10 pounds is pretty much what I need to lose, after letting myself go recently.

I guess it's too late, huh? I haven't even decided on a diet, other than restricted calories. No junk, low on processed foods. Healthy eating. Moderate exercise.

Mediterranean Diet? Fasting once a week? Balanced diet? I have to weigh, altho I know that's not the whole story. The threat of weighing is incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss