Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:00 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenSpirit View Post
I mean, like I said, I don’t say anything to her now because I don’t wanna potentially hurt her feelings or have her misconstrue my words as me calling her fat or something.
If you're fairly close to her and you've never heard her bemoaning being overweight, then it's probably not an issue to her.

All you can do is set a good example. When you're home, turn down the dessert most nights. Eat a small serving once while you're there. Don't eat chips. Instead find some raw vegetables. Don't drink sugary soft drinks. If those are served at your/her house, bring a carton of that flavored sparkling water that doesn't have any type of sweetener at all.

I agree you shouldn't bring it up specifically unless she talks about it first, but hopefully she won't see setting a good example as a dig at her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 12:00 PM

54 posts, read 38,727 times
Parents aren’t cooking when I come home, we usually go out or get delivery. Fridge is about 50% healthy 50% junk

Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM

I mean, I get that there is a tough love route but I’m not sure how effective that would be

Old 02-02-2018, 12:14 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
I mean, I get that there is a tough love route but I’m not sure how effective that would be
It may not be effective but why not plant some SEEDS...she's setting her life up to a lot of misery.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:15 PM

What kind of seeds

Old 02-02-2018, 12:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Is your sister's weight gain sudden? Or, has she been overweight for many years already?

Does your sister see a doctor for a yearly check-up?

Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Overweight for many years

Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It may not be effective but why not plant some SEEDS...she's setting her life up to a lot of misery.
But those seeds really need to be positive and encouraging. I was a chubby teen (I didn't weigh as much as the OP says his sister does, but I didn't have to,) and I knew it. Every day. I saw what the other girls looked like in gym class; what girls looked like on TV. Being shamed, being asked, "do you need another one of those?" didn't cause me to have an health epiphany, it merely caused me to sneak food and hide my eating. It's a tricky situation. Chronic overeating is just as disordered as anorexia or bulemia, but it doesn't get nearly as much sympathy even though it's just as much of a mental block to work through. She doesn't need a lecture, she needs a support system.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:20 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
I agree, tough love that will affect her self image and self esteem is not an appropriate response to a teenage girl. It will only make her want to seek more comfort, and for some of us that comfort is found in junk food. I think tough love would be counter productive.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
What kind of seeds
Plant the MIND with seeds for her to maybe THINK about...those seeds...seeds = thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss