Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I was a chubby teen and still am a chubby adult. And I did not need people commenting on it. My dad was happy to make comments and then set an excellent example by eating frosted flakes, processed snacks and all sorts of junk food.

In my late teens I cut out quite a few junk food items and stopped drinking soda. It did nothing for my weight.

My sister was normal weight and slightly overweight till her late 20s or so. She gained more. She lost some due to another health issue and now she is still overweight and we are roughly the same size. Her current weight is about 25 pounds larger than her early adulthood weight.

Mine is basically exactly were it was since I was 22 - though I have had some heavier periods. But basically I am currently at my post-college standard weight.

Her nickname at home was junk food junkie. Her and I have very different reactions to food. She eats more than I do (even now) and loses 10 pounds by eating an extra serving of veggies a day (her normal is basically 1 serving a day. I eat healthfully, lkmit sugar, eat smaller portions and so on but not a whole lot happens on the scale.

I imagine the two siblings here have wildly dkfferent metabolisms like my sister and I.

If I were to go back in time, I would tell my larents to set a better example from an eating habits perspective. As long as I can remember, sida was a standard beverage for meals. Dessert was standard nightly. We did OK on veggies, but we could nave had larger portions of them. Doing activity as a family wasn’t a common practice either. While I was moderately active as a kid, it would have set up good behaviors. As an adult I reqlly have to prioritize vigirous exercise, but I am happy to use my two feet for transportation as much as possible. I cleaned up my diet in my eaely 20s, limiting processed foods, bad fats and adding whole grains. I have been cutting added sugar to minimal levels in recent years. (The impact on my weight is mot for this thread). But it would have been better to start witg good behaviors frkm chikdhood. Especially since my sister is really struggling with her eating habits and it is critical for her health now as a cancer survivor. Not having the behavior modeld from birth doesn’t help.

My mom was anti-exercise and still is. She thinks it is unnatural, but she is gardening because her bones are brittle. And that js how she exercises. My mom was “naturally thin”and stayed that way for most of her life. Dad is overweight but has gotten slimmer in old age. Even now sugary beverages are the norm for them, and the kitchen is loaded with processed snacks when we visit. My parents haven't had many health problems even with all of the poor food choices.

So OP -if you come back. The whole family should model good behavior. not for weight loss, but for good health. And that is more empowering than people harping on your weight. As I am well aware, the right behaviors may not drop your weight, they will improve longevity. And that is essential too (all of my metabolic health markers are normal to stellar, at my current size).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenSpirit View Post
It’s only gotten worse, put on more weight, I tried talking to her but she’s deaf to it. Says she doesn’t want to come visit if I’m going to “ judge her” which I don’t
I would suggest you drop the eating subject but keep her busy doing something. Maybe let her go jogging with you every day. She needs your respect, love, and understanding. I am sure she is not fat on purpose. Food is not half as important as activity.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenSpirit View Post
At this point, I don’t think not saying anything is a good option, let’s say I don’t say anything, she gets bigger and bigger, eventually one morning she’ll wake up 300 pounds and getting it off will be more difficult, I mean, she’s already seriously overweight as it is, why let it get worse?

Obviously I’ll love her no matter what, but I’ll have to watch her struggle with her weight and worry about her more and more
Want to help her STOP the weight increase? Tell her to eat foods as usual, but eliminate all items that contain wheat. Modern wheat is an APPETITE STIMULANT, meaning certain percentages of people never become satiated- even after large consumption of calories and carbohydrates from wheat derived foods. Easy thing to do is have the parents start reading food labels of products and learn what is in the food that is consumed.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Want to help her STOP the weight increase? Tell her to eat foods as usual, but eliminate all items that contain wheat. Modern wheat is an APPETITE STIMULANT, meaning certain percentages of people never become satiated- even after large consumption of calories and carbohydrates from wheat derived foods. Easy thing to do is have the parents start reading food labels of products and learn what is in the food that is consumed.
Excellent advice. If you look at most foods presented at stores and restaurants it's some kind of what. Crusts, breads, bagels.

I'd also add someone obese can't usually just "go for a jog". It could even be dangerous for them to do that. They need to start slowly with walks and stationary bikes focusing more on diet until their heart can withstand a more rigorous exercise.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:15 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
I wonder too if it has to do with mass production in the U.S. as well? Do they put things in it that makes it more addicting making it hard to moderate? I've only been a traveler in Europe, so my experience is limited, but people aren't as fat over there and there're a lot of carbs around.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,316 times
Tell her you love her and are concerned about her. Ask her about her biggest fears and worries. Most overeating is emotional. You can't do it for her. She has to decide to take control/charge over her actions, behaviors, and thoughts and body.

A good coach can help. A hypnotherapist can help - but only if she is motivated to take action. Let me know if I can help.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I wonder too if it has to do with mass production in the U.S. as well? Do they put things in it that makes it more addicting making it hard to moderate? I've only been a traveler in Europe, so my experience is limited, but people aren't as fat over there and there're a lot of carbs around.
US has the worst variety of wheat compared to European countries. Also, US has wheat in so many processed, frozen, and fast food items that are consumed by many people at great rates. This does not even take into account portion size. Add in the appetite stimulating properties of wheat, severely negative health effects of wheat, and it is a perfect storm disaster.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
US has the worst variety of wheat compared to European countries. Also, US has wheat in so many processed, frozen, and fast food items that are consumed by many people at great rates. This does not even take into account portion size. Add in the appetite stimulating properties of wheat, severely negative health effects of wheat, and it is a perfect storm disaster.
You should preface your comments that YOU are wheat intolerant. Lots of people eat wheat and are not negatively affected at all. Lots of people eat foods that have gluten and are not negatively affected at all. That is an important distinction. Telling people that if they go gluten free they will lose weight without even trying is not only misleading it is false.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You should preface your comments that YOU are wheat intolerant. Lots of people eat wheat and are not negatively affected at all. Lots of people eat foods that have gluten and are not negatively affected at all. That is an important distinction. Telling people that if they go gluten free they will lose weight without even trying is not only misleading it is false.
Really, I have have facts to back up my statements. I lost 30 pounds going gluten free eight years ago with very little effort. My mother lost 25 pounds going gluten free. My cousin lost 50 pounds by switching to a modified paleo and gluten free diet. A few people from work lost between 30-50 pounds by removing gluten from their diet as well. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Really, I have have facts to back up my statements. I lost 30 pounds going gluten free eight years ago with very little effort. My mother lost 25 pounds going gluten free. My cousin lost 50 pounds by switching to a modified paleo and gluten free diet. A few people from work lost between 30-50 pounds by removing gluten from their diet as well. Coincidence? I think not.
What works for some people may not work for others. It is really not a hard concept to understand. There are a few of us on this board who have lost weight and kept it off by watching our calories and eating, wait for it, WHEAT! OMG how did we do it?
Your claim of your family losing weight is not conclusive evidence for a grain free diet. It works for them, that is great, but I am sure they kept their calories in check as well. I am not saying that eating like that doesn't work, I am saying it is not the only way to lose weight. And for some people that way of eating doesn't work at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss