Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:27 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,760,204 times

Advertisements

Do you know anyone else that has lost weight?

Right now, several of the ladies I know are losing weight easily doing a low carb ketogenic diet. One of the young ladies is 24 and her weight blew up at around age 8, she was always the overweight child. She was up to 335 and has now lost nearly 40 pounds on this eating plan. She is not hungry, she's finding great things to eat by looking up recipes online. I'm very happy for her!

She was motivated because she saw so many of the other ladies losing weight.

You could share with your sister what others have done, not tell her to do it or that she needs to, but just plant the idea in her head. If she wants to learn more, she can get online and do lots of research.

How sweet of you to care about your sister's health and well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenSpirit View Post
I like that idea, but now the issue becomes her “ relapsing” at home
You can't control so then have to let it go and she'll pay her dues. Maybe get to your parents.....tough.

We have a major population of overweights and diabetes.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:35 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,507,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenSpirit View Post
Afraid that will cause a rift
You don't have to actually say anything about her. Just say let's go to ABC or let's cook at home. Cook healthy stuff, or take her to a nicer restaurant where there are healthier options. Set a good example by ordering something more healthy and foregoing dessert.

If she questions, just say YOU are trying to eat healthier that you recently learned that sugar and highly refined carbs contribute to type 2 diabetes, and sugar causes cavities, etc. etc. etc. You don't have to say anything at all about her weight or body size.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
You can't make anyone do anything. If she wants your help, she will ask. If she doesn't ask, leave it alone. Believe me, her peers are already making her life a living hell. She knows she is fat. You don't have to tell her!

Old 02-02-2018, 01:52 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,507,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Do you think a 15 yr old like to have an overweight body?
The culture has changed rapidly over the last decade or so. Many teens are proud of and accept their bodies no matter what size. So to answer your question, yes, there are teen girls who are obese and are perfectly happy and have no intention on changing.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
The culture has changed rapidly over the last decade or so. Many teens are proud of and accept their bodies no matter what size. So to answer your question, yes, there are teen girls who are obese and are perfectly happy and have no intention on changing.
And that thinking too, I guess, has helped pharma industry with all the diabetic drugs.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,288,796 times
Quote:
I have an adult good friend who is overweight and she's done EVERYTHING re: diets etc but she's a compulsive eater....some people you can talk to and some you can't. They will get defensive/angry and others can thank you too. But I'm talking older adults in my life.

You have to decide, set good examples for starters.
Have you really had people thank you for pointing out their weight problem, or other shortcomings? Truly?

I am really having trouble understanding what positive effect you think saying something to an overweight friend, any overweight friend, about their weight will have. Do you think people don't notice that they're overweight?

The best thing you can do is be a positive influence, be supportive and be a non-judgmental friend. I've never understood this. Just what do people expect an overweight person to do when someone mentions their weight? Do you think they're going to say, "oh wow, I didn't think anyone noticed. Thank you so much for telling me?" and be thankful?

If a friend of mine were to do this to me, I would be extremely hurt and would distance myself from this person immediately.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:49 PM

OP, in my opinion, just love her and set the best example that you can. Lead a healthy, balanced and active life yourself and share how happy you are and how good you feel. Insist on good quality, healthy food when you're around her and (as someone upthread suggested), ask her to join you on walks, hikes, bike rides or whatever.

Other than that, be positive, show her and tell her that you love her. Encourage her to talk to you. And I mean talk about her life, not her weight. Maybe she will eventually feel comfortable enough and supported enough to open up to you. I personally don't think confronting her and pointing out her weight problem is going to turn her around. All it is likely to do is hurt her very much, humiliate her and make her feel like there is no one she can trust. She KNOWS that she is overweight. Trust me.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Have you really had people thank you for pointing out their weight problem, or other shortcomings? Truly?

I am really having trouble understanding what positive effect you think saying something to an overweight friend, any overweight friend, about their weight will have. Do you think people don't notice that they're overweight?

The best thing you can do is be a positive influence, be supportive and be a non-judgmental friend. I've never understood this. Just what do people expect an overweight person to do when someone mentions their weight? Do you think they're going to say, "oh wow, I didn't think anyone noticed. Thank you so much for telling me?" and be thankful?

If a friend of mine were to do this to me, I would be extremely hurt and would distance myself from this person immediately.
I have known this friend 25 yrs and watch her gain weight, go thru many programs and I'll often talk about how I've cut out bread and lots of carbs etc etc etc ... but she's a grown woman and I can't give her any advice, she's done so much. I've never said anything about her weight issue. She brings it up and I'll listen and talk about how I could lose a few lbs and how I recently took off 30 lbs in rehab due to loss of appetitie due to meds....I've talked about my stopping alcohol, all types...she has not. What are you reading that you think I've said to her?

Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I have known this friend 25 yrs and watch her gain weight, go thru many programs and I'll often talk about how I've cut out bread and lots of carbs etc etc etc ... but she's a grown woman and I can't give her any advice, she's done so much. I've never said anything about her weight issue. She brings it up and I'll listen and talk about how I could lose a few lbs and how I recently took off 30 lbs in rehab due to loss of appetitie due to meds....I've talked about my stopping alcohol, all types...she has not. What are you reading that you think I've said to her?
This was your quote:

Quote:
I have an adult good friend who is overweight and she's done EVERYTHING re: diets etc but she's a compulsive eater....some people you can talk to and some you can't. They will get defensive/angry and others can thank you too. But I'm talking older adults in my life.

You have to decide, set good examples for starters.
Which is why I qualified my post with:

Quote:

Also, you are advocating for the OP to be confronting her sister about her weight. I have a different opinion. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss