Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Ironically I think you are on the wrong track here. Plant Paradox talks about how some plants can be bad for you and make you gain (or not lose) weight. Plants with lectins. Such as peanuts, beans, potatoes, tomatos. I had heard this theory before in the blood type diet book. Which turns out -- I just don't like foods with lectins and rarely eat them anyway so it would make no difference for me.
My bad! I guess I should have researched before I posted. In that case I am still going to stick by my opinion that plant based diets are excellent for health and weight loss. I see it is just another crackpot who wrote a book based on a flawed premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Well I am 81 years old or will be in a few weeks and I am still trying to figure this one out.

I do remember a doctor many years ago that said the calories are the secret. He said if I cut back to about 1500 to 1600 a day I would lose weight regardless of what I ate. He even said it could be in alcohol if I wanted but of course he reminded me if I did it that way while I would lose the weight he would have to treat me for liver damage.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:26 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Ironically I think you are on the wrong track here. Plant Paradox talks about how some plants can be bad for you and make you gain (or not lose) weight. Plants with lectins. Such as peanuts, beans, potatoes, tomatos. I had heard this theory before in the blood type diet book. Which turns out -- I just don't like foods with lectins and rarely eat them anyway so it would make no difference for me.
I lean towards more plant based eating, I enjoy it and my autoimmune collection seems to do better on it.
I eat lots of beans, and I weigh 125 lbs at 5'5.

I also eat bread, but a healthy sprouted grain, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2018, 12:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I've found that sipping water frequently quells urges to eat as well. I know that you said that water consumption is a challenge for you, but this is what I do - I get one of those 24 oz sports bottles and I keep that at my desk. I then reach for it and sip from time to time. I find that I drain that bottle rather quickly without even knowing it. Put some lemon/juice/etc to flavor the water if you must. Sometimes thirst mimics hunger. Also, don't be afraid to eat more if you are truly hungry. The kicker is are you truly hungry or is it something else.

I've lost over 70 lbs. If there's one thing that I share with folks is that I don't deprive myself any more. I firmly believe in total calories over a period of time. There are days when I eat sparingly and one day where I eat a LOT. It's what you average over time. I also learned how to not let the scale beat me and undue my hard work.

Physical activity is what transformed my life, though. I don't think you mentioned an exercise plan, but if you did I'm sorry. That definitely helps when it comes to weight loss. It firms up and burns. Most of all it makes you feel good about yourself if you let it.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The best thing I did was read a book called Plant Paradox and adopt the diet plan recommended. I had a target of losing 40 lbs. and I've done it...now 11% bodyfat and 45% muscle (I'm male and these numbers are fantastic).

One trick I have done that really helped was just skipping dinner. If I'm hungry, I snack on good fat foods before going to bed. The rationale for this is why do you need food energy right before going to sleep?

Good luck!
you need food energy before going to sleep because your body does ALL of it's cellular repair work when you are sleeping. You want to make as many nutrients available as possible for this process.

I just looked over the Plant Paradox online and while it does make some sense, eating that way would really take some discipline.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
For me.. I can't stomach 8 glasses. But I try to have four. I also try to have a glass of water if I want to eat. Keeps me busy and usually kills the urge.

I don't like fruit and it doesn't help keep me full. Just wasted calories. I get my vitamins in veggies and supplements.
Re: supplements, although I am now taking certain supplements, such as garlic capsules, cosamin ds, l-arganine, and a few more, I stopped taking the fish oil because recent studies (not that I believe all of them) are showing that the fish itself, even walnuts, are better than the fish oil. And I believe that. In fact, it reminds me to put some walnuts in my nice little fruit compote I made. :-) I am working on drinking tea after my meal, hoping that takes away the desire for me to eat more. We'll see.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
you need food energy before going to sleep because your body does ALL of it's cellular repair work when you are sleeping. You want to make as many nutrients available as possible for this process.

I just looked over the Plant Paradox online and while it does make some sense, eating that way would really take some discipline.
My aunt, who is 91 and in fairly good health, stops eating after an early dinner. I can't do that. I have to eat, sad to say. But I am going to try to curb my food intake because if I eat just because I'm hungry before I go to sleep, I am not happy with a full stomach when I go to sleep. However, I have found that a little sugary stuff before I go to sleep puts me in a better mood during the night. I get a better night's sleep. But not if I overeat, so I have to work on that, even if it means drinking more tea and not eating so much. :-)

Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I lean towards more plant based eating, I enjoy it and my autoimmune collection seems to do better on it.
I eat lots of beans, and I weigh 125 lbs at 5'5.

I also eat bread, but a healthy sprouted grain, etc.
I stopped eating white bread a long time ago. Today so far (the day is not done yet) I have had a pretty good eating day. We shall see. :-) It is such a trial for me.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Then perhaps you should preface your comments with that because I have seen you tell people to not eat any bread or other carbs if they want to lose weight. And again, gluten is not the big bad bugaboo people claim in to be so maybe you should just point that out as well.
We went out to eat with a couple, and he was on a gluten free diet. Fortunately the restaurant had foods he could choose from. I asked him if he could tell the difference when he ate. He said, Yes, absolutely. When I was a little girl, many years ago -- my mother put me on a rigid diet because the doctor said I had celiac disease. I don't think he tested me for it, but I remember being deprived for many years, eating basically bananas, hamburger, no bread, can't remember what else. I remember how I cried for ice cream but couldn't get it. Well, anyway, at a certain point she let me eat everything. And I was fine (so I think). In high school I was thin, but I tried hard to be thin. I can't do that any more. I also exercised a lot, and now I don't get much exercise. But decades later I read about celiac disease and the article said you never get over it. But I was still fine. I saw a doctor about this and he told me that the only way to really test for celiac disease is by taking a scraping of the intestines.
But our friend went on a gluten free diet in his older age, and said he can definitely feel an immediate reaction when he eats anything with gluten. Meantime, I'm just trying to lose weight. :-)
I know it's a calorie thing and I don't count calories, but I'm thinking to go on a calorie counting diet, such as buying foods (maybe frozen dinners), with the calorie count right there on the label. Maybe I'll do that for two weeks and see what happens.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:05 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
There are a lot of people who swear that avoiding gluten is the way to go. I think also, besides celiac, there are probably some people who are genuinely sensitive to it. I also think there is a placebo effect at work with the people who avoid for no other reason that it is the trendy thing to avoid. Everyone is different.
There is a certain mindset that some people have in which they blame some thing as the cause of why they gained weight and if they avoid that thing amazing things will happen and they will lose the weight.
We are always searching for the easiest and fastest way to lose weight and we will try anything. There is a reason that diet pills, which never work, are a multi million dollar business. Our desire to believe in such things even when faced with facts they don't work does not seem to stop us from trying them.

We all need to find what works for us and not expect what works for us to work with anyone else. Its an individual journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss