Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

One thing I’ve worked at is a rethinking about food, that works for me. First, instead of thinking, what’s the biggest or most I can get, I go for the smallest, and it’s always plenty. Example: what is the smallest steak, chop or chicken breast in the meat case? I get it.

Secondly, if I want a cookie or brownie, I’ll have it, but unless I really want it, I dont take it just because I can. Sometimes just imagining how it would taste is enough. It’s a tactic that worked, years ago, to quit smoking too.

It seems like small changes have evolved as a result of all the diets I’ve been on. They all work, but unless you implement the changes permanently, you’re doomed.

Things like, whole fruit is ok, juice is not ok. (Atkins and Weightwatchers)
Things made with white flour, not good. (Atkins)
Things high in protein and fiber, good. (All)
Things that contain a lot of sugar? I don’t even like them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
my husband is doing low carb because he's pre-diabetic. He eats fewer than 100 carbs per day and eats lots of meat, fat, cheese. And he's hungry about every 3 hours (which is comparable with my own diet).
When first trying to kick the sugar/high carb habit, you will get some cravings for those foods so it will involve some form of will power. After a couple or three days the cravings should disappear. The key here is consistency. If you cheat more than you should, then guess what?

100g a day is not really low carb. It is less carbs than the SAD. True keto/lc diets are 20 to 50g per day.

Meats, fat and cheese equal almost 0 carbs. What else does he eat to get close to the 100g?

The easiest way to overcome cravings

Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
This is a lifelong battle and the key for me is whatever the food plan, it has to be something I can live with long term, as in forever. Diets and diet mentality don't work. As soon as you see the magic number on the scale, the diet is over and you will start gaining. Those pounds you lost will come back fast and bring a few friends. Then it's back to the diet and the yoyo begins. And each time you lose the weight it's a bit harder than it was the time before. We set ourselves up to fail!

I can tell you what works for me! You have to find what will work for you. I do low carb, high protein, high fat. I eat no bread, sweets/sugar, potatoes, corn, peas, pasta, or grains. Fruit is an occasional treat because fructose is sugar. I eat mostly meat, cheese, green low carb veggies, and eggs. I use real cream in my coffee because it has no carbs. Other than the cream in my coffee, I drink no calories. But there are exceptions because I know I will not tolerate eternal deprivation.

Every month I have a free weekend. It goes on the calendar. I can eat as I please. I plan these to coincide with events or outings. Out of town vacations and holidays are free too. This has helped me learn control. And I don't want to be the one who has dry salads on vacation while everyone else has steak and lobster! I won't go the rest of my life without a potato chip but I can defer that gratification until my next free eating period. Sort of like food TIVO or a DVR. And if I really want something...I can have it provided I do equivalent exercise first! Like a Snickers bar equals an extra 3 mile run. And it's usually not worth it so I guess I didn't want it that much!

Last exercise. I loathe and despise it but I do it. I started out walking 5 miles a day 5 days a week. I was very resentful of the time it used up so I started running and eventually got to the point where I could run it easily(used cool runnings couch to 5K). I am a lot older now. Sometimes I still run a mile or so and walk the rest. Sometimes I ride my bike and use a rowing machine. I try to get in 5 miles worth of activity every day on top of normal walking around type exercise. I use a fitbit because that makes it harder to cheat! When I was training myself to do this I was very strict!

Good luck! I hope you find what works for you! I am in my 60's now and whatever I weigh, I still KNOW 10lbs less would be better! It never changes!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This is a lifelong battle and the key for me is whatever the food plan, it has to be something I can live with long term, as in forever. Diets and diet mentality don't work. As soon as you see the magic number on the scale, the diet is over and you will start gaining. Those pounds you lost will come back fast and bring a few friends. Then it's back to the diet and the yoyo begins. And each time you lose the weight it's a bit harder than it was the time before. We set ourselves up to fail!

I can tell you what works for me! You have to find what will work for you. I do low carb, high protein, high fat. I eat no bread, sweets/sugar, potatoes, corn, peas, pasta, or grains. Fruit is an occasional treat because fructose is sugar. I eat mostly meat, cheese, green low carb veggies, and eggs. I use real cream in my coffee because it has no carbs. Other than the cream in my coffee, I drink no calories. But there are exceptions because I know I will not tolerate eternal deprivation.

Every month I have a free weekend. It goes on the calendar. I can eat as I please. I plan these to coincide with events or outings. Out of town vacations and holidays are free too. This has helped me learn control. And I don't want to be the one who has dry salads on vacation while everyone else has steak and lobster! I won't go the rest of my life without a potato chip but I can defer that gratification until my next free eating period. Sort of like food TIVO or a DVR. And if I really want something...I can have it provided I do equivalent exercise first! Like a Snickers bar equals an extra 3 mile run. And it's usually not worth it so I guess I didn't want it that much!

Last exercise. I loathe and despise it but I do it. I started out walking 5 miles a day 5 days a week. I was very resentful of the time it used up so I started running and eventually got to the point where I could run it easily(used cool runnings couch to 5K). I am a lot older now. Sometimes I still run a mile or so and walk the rest. Sometimes I ride my bike and use a rowing machine. I try to get in 5 miles worth of activity every day on top of normal walking around type exercise. I use a fitbit because that makes it harder to cheat! When I was training myself to do this I was very strict!

Good luck! I hope you find what works for you! I am in my 60's now and whatever I weigh, I still KNOW 10lbs less would be better! It never changes!
Your eating sounds so much like mine NOW. I have not had breads or pastas in a good 10 yrs. Rice when I have sushi which isn't too often. Some times I'll throw a little rice in my soups I make and when I get a real craving I'll put a personal size pizza in the oven and eat 1/2 and put pieces in refrig for next day.

My walking world has changed so much and the exercise I did all my life, I have to do other things that I believe work for me.

I stretch a lot and ride my recumbent bike a little, if I do too much my knee crys the next day or so.

I don't crave chocolate but now and then buy some licorice and get satisfaction from that.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The best thing I did was read a book called Plant Paradox and adopt the diet plan recommended. I had a target of losing 40 lbs. and I've done it...now 11% bodyfat and 45% muscle (I'm male and these numbers are fantastic).

One trick I have done that really helped was just skipping dinner. If I'm hungry, I snack on good fat foods before going to bed. The rationale for this is why do you need food energy right before going to sleep?

Good luck!
My friend copied pages 201 etc with the lists of Yes and No Lectin Foods and I have been eating a lot of them anyway, and the only food I've increased since home from the rehabs is legumes...so I'm backing off on them....and the author also likes coconut yogurts and other coconut foods and I do them anyway.

I have an open mind to many theories.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
When first trying to kick the sugar/high carb habit, you will get some cravings for those foods so it will involve some form of will power. After a couple or three days the cravings should disappear. The key here is consistency. If you cheat more than you should, then guess what?

100g a day is not really low carb. It is less carbs than the SAD. True keto/lc diets are 20 to 50g per day.

Meats, fat and cheese equal almost 0 carbs. What else does he eat to get close to the 100g?

The easiest way to overcome cravings
Yeah, he'll never do keto, but "reduced carb" seems to be agreeable for him and he hasn't gone off the rails. 100g seems to be the number he can live with. He doesn't really cheat. He has meat, 1/2 cup of starches like rice, or 1/2 of a low carb tortilla. He's eaten meat and veggies and absolutely doesn't stay full. I've done that too, eat meat with broccoli and I'm hungry three hours later. He doesn't like fruit, so that won't be a problem. He's really a meat and potatoes guy (well meat and tortillas and spanish rice guy) and has modified his diet to eat less potatoes and tortillas. I'm cool with all of that, I give him half of whatever I've cooked.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

basically that's my attitude, but I have a higher carb intake. I eat within my caloric range and once a week I eat "off the rails". Life's too short to eat healthy all of the time. There are naysayers who say that you shouldn't have "cheat meals" (I know, I know, I'm not "cheating" but the name's stuck). I'd rather deal with the temporary "gain" of a cheat meal, then going right back to healthy eating, than permanent weight gain when I rebel and start overeating in earnest. It's been over a year of this, and gone are the out of control binges, overeating day in and day out, eating pints of ice cream.

And yes, to physical activity. I'm 42, exercise 1.5 hours 4 days per week, lift weights. I'm in the best shape of my life, seriously, now at middle age.

A takeaway for the OP is do not deprive yourself, move more, and find something that keeps your mind off food.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:20 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not angry, just someone who is frustrated with people who tell other people to not eat carbs. I am glad you changed the wording.
And as someone who lost weight successfully and kept it off, I ate plenty of rice, potatoes (by the way potatoes are very nutritious), and bread. I stayed away from junk food and prepackaged foods. I ate nutrient dense foods and healthy fats.
Also, when you tell people to not eat bread and rice you are eliminating fa food group.

And as we both realize there is no one way to do it. I could never, ever eliminate grains - did it once for 6 months and it sucked.
Who said eliminate anything?

Here's the question: Are fat people fat because they overeat vegetables? Fruits? Meats? Cheese?

No. They are fat because they overeat SUGAR (ccokies, candy, pasta, chips, cake, donuts, huge protions of rice and extra bread with dinner, etc.). It actually makes complete sense to REDUCE these portions and use veg, meat, dairy as a replacement for fewer calories.

Sugar = carbs = empty calories that add up extremely fast.

I know people who actually have to eat MORE cal when doing low carb because it is much easier to eat less without sugar cravings. And I don't know why people get so angry about it. I never said DON'T EAT THIS!!!! I said low carb because it helps eliminate cravings and eliminate completely empty calories.

Low sugar is the exact same thing as saying low carb. Exactly the same. But look at how it's perceived differently.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
You can overeat on anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Who said eliminate anything?

Here's the question: Are fat people fat because they overeat vegetables? Fruits? Meats? Cheese?

No. They are fat because they overeat SUGAR (ccokies, candy, pasta, chips, cake, donuts, huge protions of rice and extra bread with dinner, etc.). It actually makes complete sense to REDUCE these portions and use veg, meat, dairy as a replacement for fewer calories.

Sugar = carbs = empty calories that add up extremely fast.

I know people who actually have to eat MORE cal when doing low carb because it is much easier to eat less without sugar cravings. And I don't know why people get so angry about it. I never said DON'T EAT THIS!!!! I said low carb because it helps eliminate cravings and eliminate completely empty calories.

Low sugar is the exact same thing as saying low carb. Exactly the same. But look at how it's perceived differently.
As a former fat person, I got fat overeating meat, fat, AND carbs. For example, I could easily put away three burgers and work on a fourth. I once downed a 16 oz ribeye. I ate a huge serving of mac and cheese. Give me half the bag of cheese cubes please. Yes, my appetite was gargantuan. I was fat because I overate anything and everything plain and simple. I lost weight when I practiced moderation and moved my butt. I don't eat "huge portions" of anything these days, except for maybe my cheat day.

Last edited by riaelise; 02-13-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss