Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:25 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,716,140 times

Advertisements

I read your note about the shoes. My guess is a that a good pair of sneakers will do the trick since you sound strong and healthy.

Regarding my diet, it varies, but I try to make sure I eat whole grains (mostly oats and brown rice), plenty of dark leafy greens (steamed or in a big salad), beans, potatoes, nuts, and fruits (a lot of berries) everyday. I supplement with ground flax seeds and alma powder (Indian Gooseberry).

I try to avoid processed foods (I know that rolled oats are processed), and stick to the Ezekiel brand for breads, since it's one of the most healthful out there.

I sometimes make a green smoothie with dark leafy greens, nuts, soy milk, and berries.

I eat a lot, don't count calories, and "I'm never hungry.

BTW, you must visit Dr. McDougall's website since he is a "starchavore" and also loves potatoes. What's more, he has a ton of free recipes at the site.

I know you don't care for beans, but they are s-o-o-o-o important, as are dark leafy greens. If possible, maybe you could find a way to eat them?

Increased Lifespan from Beans
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM
October 28th, 2013 Volume 15
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/inc...an-from-beans/

"The intake of legumes—beans, chickpeas, split peas, and lentils—may be the single most important dietary predictor of a long lifespan. But what about concerns about intestinal gas?"

Slowing Our Metabolism with Nitrate-Rich Vegetables
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM
May 20th, 2016 Volume 30

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/slo...ch-vegetables/

"
The reason greens are associated with a significantly longer lifespan may be because, like caloric restriction, they improve our energy efficiency."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,554,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Thanks for the reply and suggestions! Out of those I mainly eat fruits and regular potatoes. I love potatoes and if I could I'd live on them haha. I think I just don't eat enough portion wise to get fiber all the way up to 25g. I will try to increase my portion of fruits and veggies when I have them. I also will add in tomatos, I rarely eat them but use to love them. I really don't care for beans, which is bad since they can provide so much fiber.

Are there any unprocessed or minimally processed cereals out there actually healthy? I see some like Kashi boasting a lot of fiber and protein in just one serving. Something like that every morning could really help increase my totals. Just not sure if these are bad still or not. Trying to stay away from processed but would be nice to have the added option. Right now I don't eat any cereals.
some people may be "bird like" eaters, which is great by the way!

if you're body says its full don't push it. just maybe increase the frequency of your meals.

the whole grain cereals are good. a serving is 3/4 cup.

another thign though to keep in mind is that you are a petite woman who is not all that active. that is why your feet were hurting. because you aren't terribly active, you won't need as many calories as someone who is. 1500-1600 may be your maintenance number, so be careful not to overdo it when it comes to increasing your intake. you'd be surprised as how easy it is overdo it.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Cereals are hard because they have so much sugar, even Kashi. I view most as dessert.

Oatmeal, cream of wheat, All Bran, Cheerios are better. I make an oat cake that is my breakfast on the go, packed with nuts and seeds, and I can control the sugar.

I have a paleo cereal from Costco (coconut, nuts, seeds) which is good in small quantities (calorie dense) but at $14 a small bag.... I don't think it is worth it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have a paleo cereal from Costco (coconut, nuts, seeds) which is good in small quantities (calorie dense) but at $14 a small bag.... I don't think it is worth it.
At $14 you could probably make your own. I have been thinking of doing this and if you buy the stuff in bulk from a place like Sprouts it would not be that much. You could just buy the amount you need. Either way it is way more than "regular" granola. Here are a couple of recipes but there are many more all over the internet.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes...ee-sugar-free/
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/keto-low-carb-granola/

Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,702,980 times
I've done the Disney thing many times. You most certainly hurt your feet by doing that in flip-flops. Probably only 16 year olds can get away with that. It's always a rude awakening when you get to be your age and things they never bothered you start happening. You've probably given yourself a good case of plantar fasciitis that can take months to heal. I will say that one year we went to Disney, my daughter insisted on wearing flip flops (she was a teen at the time). After a couple of days, her feet were really killing her so we had to buy those awful pink Crocs in the park. But they made all the difference.

At 5'1" and 100 lbs, I wouldn't consider you terribly underweight if at all. But I know we all know what our good range is.

At just over 1,000 calories your definitely eating below a maintenance weight. People here have given you lots of good advice. I think if you could get up to 1500 calories per day, it would be just right. You could easily hit that with nuts and avocodos. Two TBSP of natural peanut butter on a banana as a snack would get it up there.

I know you seemed concerned about sugars, but if you don't have a problem with sugar and you aren't feeling "starving" I see no need to cut down sugar and up protein. Of course, doing that is healthier I think but not necessary.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
At $14 you could probably make your own. I have been thinking of doing this and if you buy the stuff in bulk from a place like Sprouts it would not be that much. You could just buy the amount you need. Either way it is way more than "regular" granola. Here are a couple of recipes but there are many more all over the internet.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes...ee-sugar-free/
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/keto-low-carb-granola/

Yeah, it would be easy to make, though it's different from either of those you listed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss