Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:10 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,697,186 times

Advertisements

I am not looking to loose weight, instead Iv become concerned I'm underweight, or need to least maintain weight and maybe lacking nutritients. I'm 29, female, 5'1", 100lbs. My weight has always been steady 95-105lbs. Low to moderately active. I'm vegetarian, bordering on vegan and a picky eater. I have always gotten full very fast, but I eat when hungry and stop when full. Never done diets, never tracked diet or what I eat. Never had any eating disorders or wanting to loose weight.

Last month I had a bit of a scare and wake up call. I went to the ER due to tingling numbness in arm and through body. Fatigue, dull headaches off and on more frequent, muscle aching and weakness. Just felt off. I had a CT scan of head, neck, chest to show heart and lungs, thyroid, full blood work(at ER and doctors). Everything looked great, except my vitamin B12 was low(225). I started taking a b12 supplement and multi vitamin(women's one a day) about 2-3 weeks ago. So far symptoms seem better, but I still have muscle tightness/cramps, though improved. Also we did a lot of walking(went to Disney, 14k steps) and my feet hurt so bad next couple days I could barely walk. It's improved but still have some pain if I walk to long. We go to Disney often and never had that issue before. I also was put on prednisone during this time and had a horrible severe reaction to just one dose(40mg) so doctor had me stop right away. Those side effects lasted awhile to and I think it threw my body out of wack, though doctor says it couldn't be prednisone anymore effecting me.

Anyways, all this made me think about my diet and health. Being low in b12(guess only animal products it comes from) made me concerned about low in other vitamins. So I have been wanting to make changes and try to improve diet and overall health. I tracked a day of what I ate and figured up totals for day. This is fairly average what I eat daily.

Daily Totals:
Calories 1033
Sugar 86(48 natural sugars)
Fat 37
Sat fat 8.3
Sodium 624
Cholesterol 12
Potassium 2050
Carbs 165.1
Protein 20.9
Fiber 18.9
Calcium 25%

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or suggestions. Things to increase or decrease? Seems like most bad things like saturated fats, sodium, cholesterol is in a ok range for daily intake. When I had blood work my cholesterol was pretty good, but my LdL(good cholesterol) was lower around 52(still in ok area I guess, but low). Blood pressure has always been normal. I think I worry about heart health the most, my grandpa died of heart attack at 47 years old. My parents both have high cholesterol, even though my dad eats very healthy and exercises regularly.

Really I have been quite healthy my whole life and even now doctors say everything looks great. Iv never spoken to a nutritionist or dietitian though. Tests wise and at my annual exam I'm considered healthy. I just wonder though if my diet may be effecting me, worsen over time and what I can do to improve it.

Any guidance on my numbers would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,621,080 times
I might suggest eating more "good" carbs, plenty of fiber and lean proteins. Avoiding carbs is a pretty big key for losing weight, so it makes sense that to gain some weight, you want to eat carbs.

The problem for your may be your almost vegan diet. Obviously you can get protein from vegan sources like beans, ect., but you might want to consider either eating some meats like fish or at least taking some good vitamin and mineral supplements.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:26 AM

48,578 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Your sugar is very high, and fiber low. So too much fruit, not enough veggies?

I think you should increase your calories some. What about budah bowls? Get a good grain (millet, farro, etc.) load it with veggies (avocados would be good for you), baked tofu and a sauce (just pick a flavor profile or cuisine)

It's hard to have ideas because you say you are picky, but not how so.

Why were you put on prednisone?

Do you take a general vitamin?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Mytarge13
thanks for the suggestions! I definitely see that my protein is low. I have been trying to do strength workouts(focusing on building arm and leg muscle) but didn't have much success and instead left with very sore muscles that last awhile. After seeing how little protein I get in a day, I guess that's why I'm not gaining much muscle. Are protein powders (like putting in shakes) a good source? I could try that. Greek yogurt seems to have a lot of protein also I could add in. Though not much a fan of it, but I could eat it still.

Mikala43
Yes I definitely eat a lot more fruit during the day then veggies. I think that day I had all fruits(strawberries, blueberries, grapes) which is where most my sugar came from. The only vegetables I eat often are potatoes and celery. What are some good ones I could try to add in? I definitely like fruits over veggies though.

Iv always been a picky eater, mainly I dislike most veggies and salads. I don't eat rice or beans. Texture of a lot of foods bother me. Never had tofu, not sure how that would be. I became vegetarian at age 8 or 9 years old. My parents gave up trying to force me to eat meat. The only meat I ever ate were turkey hotdogs. I just disliked meats and had no desire to eat it. As I got older it stuck with me. I think a problem for me is the limited foods I'm willing to eat. I'd like to try some new foods, but healthy options of course. I get my dads side metabolism, I don't gain weight easily. I also get full super quick, which is why it's hard to get more calories and nutrients in during the day. Just a banana will fill me up and keep me full for some time. Iv been trying to eat every few hours during the day(like a banana or yougurt or nuts). Even if I'm not real hungry, but to get in more calories. My other problem is snack foods. I do like chips, pretzels, corn chips. I normally get full quick on those to so I'm probably not consuming to much. I love salty foods more then sweets(except fruit, which I love).

When I went to the ER for numbness tingling in my arm and was checked for major issues(stroke, brain tumor, heart issues) everything looks great so he said it's probably more peripheral neuropathy. He gave me prednisone saying there may be inflammation in me causing the tingling. Tingling stopped after 5 hours but 18 hours taking prednisone I started getting pain and muscle soreness. Then my heart began racing even when resting, a constant 100-130bpm. That lasted for hours and hours. I only took one dose(40). The heart racing would come and go for even a week after stopping it, along with nausea, electric feelings throughout entire body, extreame fatique and anxiety, weakness and whole host of effects. It's been a month and everything is gone. Though my muscles still seem to get sore easily, even simple quick workouts.

I just started taking a multi vitamin, Women's One A Day about 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago I started taking the B12 supplements 500mcg a day.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,703,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I am not looking to loose weight, instead Iv become concerned I'm underweight, or need to least maintain weight and maybe lacking nutritients. I'm 29, female, 5'1", 100lbs. My weight has always been steady 95-105lbs. Low to moderately active. I'm vegetarian, bordering on vegan and a picky eater. I have always gotten full very fast, but I eat when hungry and stop when full. Never done diets, never tracked diet or what I eat. Never had any eating disorders or wanting to loose weight.

Last month I had a bit of a scare and wake up call. I went to the ER due to tingling numbness in arm and through body. Fatigue, dull headaches off and on more frequent, muscle aching and weakness. Just felt off. I had a CT scan of head, neck, chest to show heart and lungs, thyroid, full blood work(at ER and doctors). Everything looked great, except my vitamin B12 was low(225). I started taking a b12 supplement and multi vitamin(women's one a day) about 2-3 weeks ago. So far symptoms seem better, but I still have muscle tightness/cramps, though improved. Also we did a lot of walking(went to Disney, 14k steps) and my feet hurt so bad next couple days I could barely walk. It's improved but still have some pain if I walk to long. We go to Disney often and never had that issue before. I also was put on prednisone during this time and had a horrible severe reaction to just one dose(40mg) so doctor had me stop right away. Those side effects lasted awhile to and I think it threw my body out of wack, though doctor says it couldn't be prednisone anymore effecting me.

Anyways, all this made me think about my diet and health. Being low in b12(guess only animal products it comes from) made me concerned about low in other vitamins. So I have been wanting to make changes and try to improve diet and overall health. I tracked a day of what I ate and figured up totals for day. This is fairly average what I eat daily.

Daily Totals:
Calories 1033
Sugar 86(48 natural sugars)
Fat 37
Sat fat 8.3
Sodium 624
Cholesterol 12
Potassium 2050
Carbs 165.1
Protein 20.9
Fiber 18.9
Calcium 25%

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or suggestions. Things to increase or decrease? Seems like most bad things like saturated fats, sodium, cholesterol is in a ok range for daily intake. When I had blood work my cholesterol was pretty good, but my LdL(good cholesterol) was lower around 52(still in ok area I guess, but low). Blood pressure has always been normal. I think I worry about heart health the most, my grandpa died of heart attack at 47 years old. My parents both have high cholesterol, even though my dad eats very healthy and exercises regularly.

Really I have been quite healthy my whole life and even now doctors say everything looks great. Iv never spoken to a nutritionist or dietitian though. Tests wise and at my annual exam I'm considered healthy. I just wonder though if my diet may be effecting me, worsen over time and what I can do to improve it.

Any guidance on my numbers would be great!
You are definitely taking good care of yourself; physical exam, labs & scans are normal; and your doctors said you are healthy. Congrats on that, even though you sometimes feel lousy. BTW, it's great that you are taking B12 supplements.

I follow a strictly plant-based diet, but yeah, like just about everyone else, I still get aches and pains at times, even though my labs are "perfect," I'm slender, and I'm healthy.

I'm also a lot older than you, but I have to wonder if some of your persistent symptoms are just a normal part of aging; perhaps delayed a bit due to your healthful diet? If so, it might mean making changes like, for example, maybe reevaluating your shoes and looking for a different brand.

Your heart health concerns are understandable, but again, your docs have said you are healthy. I would suggest that you visit Dr. Michael Greger's free website, NutritionFacts.org, to access the latest fact-based information on nutrition. You can also use the site's search engine to check on topics of concern.

I'm not a nutritionist, but your fiber intake seems to be on the low side. According to this video by Dr. Greger, research has shown that those least at risk for stroke have a daily dietary intake of at least 25 g of soluble fiber and 47 g of insoluble fiber:

How to Prevent a Stroke
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM April 10th, 2015 Volume 24

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how...vent-a-stroke/

That's a lot of fiber, but it's easily achieved on a whole food plant-based diet. That means minimum intake of processed foods, and maximum intake of green leafy vegetables, legumes, fruits, and some nuts & seeds, etc.

You may also be able to allay some of your fears, and pickup valuable tips on optimizing heart health, by reading "How Not To Die," by Michael Greger, MD.

Additionally, even Dr. Greger uses supplements and he discusses them in his book. In addition to the obvious B12 tablet, he also uses ground flax seed on his food for its very strong anti-inflammatory properties.

Another site I would highly recommend is that run by John McDougall, MD:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

BTW, Dr. Greger has a monthly Q&A were he answers questions from the public and Dr. McDougall has a weekly webinar where he too takes questions.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Just an aside, concerning heart health, Dr. Greger often tells the story of how his 65 year-old grandmother who had undergone multiple bypass operations, was not a candidate for any more, and was sent home to die.

She happened to be watching 60 Minutes one evening when they were interviewing Nathan Pritikin about his plant-based approach to health. She contacted him and subsequently became a patient at his clinic.

Following his advice, she went on to live to about the age of 95 or 96 years. She was mentioned in Pritikin's book as a "death-door" case successfully turned around.

Dr. Greger said it was witnessing his grandmother's remarkable recovery from heart disease in following a plant-based diet, that caused him to become an MD.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Regarding fiber, it's easy for most of us to underestimate the important role it plays in maintaining our general health:

Gut Dysbiosis: Starving our Microbial Self
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM June 15th, 2016 Volume 31
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/gut...icrobial-self/

"Inadequate consumption of prebiotics—the fiber and resistant starch concentrated in unprocessed plant foods—can cause a disease-promoting imbalance in our gut microbiome."

Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Pacific2 - thanks for all the great info! The shoes I wore the day we walked disney(all day) were flip flops. I know they're not the best shoes to wear but I never had issues before. My right foot even after weeks is still bothering me now and then, especially if I walk or stand awhile. My mom has fallen arches, she has custom orthopedic inserts done for her. Not sure if I'm going to have that same type of issue but I could try and find out, maybe finding something more supportive for feet, especially when walking a lot in a day.

I think after almost 30 years of persistently good health(besides a flu or colds) I got very frightened when something random happens and then goes away.. thinking it must be serious. I'm feeling much better overall, more anxiety then anything now. I guess random tingling, aches and pains can come and go but not always mean a serious problem. Even after everything that's been checked, I still feel on edge. Which is what's made me want to get even healthier.

It's great your on a plants based diet! I have been vegetarian for many many years and rarely eat dairy or eggs. Never had any weight issues, fairly active everyday, drink only water and do not smoke or drink at all.

I definitely do want to boost my fiber. I seen chia seeds have a good bit, maybe mix them in a meal? Flax seeds like you mentioned Iv heard of and which I think I'll also pickup. Have you used chia seeds or have other ideas? I seen chia seeds can have some side effects which makes me unsure about them. Oh and they are a choking hazard? I'll have to look more into it. I love fruit but not as big of a fan with vegetables. I'm going to try and expand that though. I also like nuts which I try to have daily. What are some foods you eat Day to day that are very nutritional? I'd like to Up my protein to but I don't like beans or tofu.. I do get protein from nuts but would be good to have more sources. Do you ever use protein powder? I don't know much about them and not sure if good source or not.

I'll check out all the links you gave to!

Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
For fiber, I tend to rely on legumes, snackable veggies like peppers/tomatoes, broccoli, and fruits. Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are good too. It's not that hard to arrive at 25g when you eat those things.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
For fiber, I tend to rely on legumes, snackable veggies like peppers/tomatoes, broccoli, and fruits. Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are good too. It's not that hard to arrive at 25g when you eat those things.
Thanks for the reply and suggestions! Out of those I mainly eat fruits and regular potatoes. I love potatoes and if I could I'd live on them haha. I think I just don't eat enough portion wise to get fiber all the way up to 25g. I will try to increase my portion of fruits and veggies when I have them. I also will add in tomatos, I rarely eat them but use to love them. I really don't care for beans, which is bad since they can provide so much fiber.

Are there any unprocessed or minimally processed cereals out there actually healthy? I see some like Kashi boasting a lot of fiber and protein in just one serving. Something like that every morning could really help increase my totals. Just not sure if these are bad still or not. Trying to stay away from processed but would be nice to have the added option. Right now I don't eat any cereals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss