Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 PM

307 posts, read 364,246 times

Advertisements

Hello CityDatatians,

So I'm just meddling around watching Youtube and this commercial comes on with this guy that has ripped abs. He puts on a demonstration with hot frying pan and melting butter. So the guy claims that an idea called "intermittent fasting" is the key to weight loss and burning fat.

So basically that's his whole play. He preaches that if you wake up in the morning, not to pile on breakfast but to wait till around noon so that your body burns stored calories (fat) between that 7am-ish to noon time when you do eat lunch. Basically that's what he describes as intermittent fasting which he does claim, will lose you weight quickly.

Ok, so the guy is no expert. I do not see any credentials, or experience of him helping folks with this method so my bull**** meter is wayyy high. But of course, as always, I'll leave it up to discussion.

If you're with me and feel this is horse manure and just another money-making scheme weigh in. If on the other hand, you do believe he's onto something, also lay down your thoughts, comments, e.t.c

HS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,010,347 times
Intermittent fasting (IF) can be EXCELLENT for metabolic problems and gut bacteria issues. Ignore that guy, he's probably just trying to make money, but it can really help.

The paradox is, the same people with metabolic issues are the ones that can really have IF bite them in the butt. They become a low energy, stressed out, hormonal mess. These people generally have leptin problems.

Don't listen to some guys "rules". You don't have to do 16 hours or whatever. Gently start fasting between meals, and extend the fasting period over time. You shouldn't be eating all day anyway. One of the goals here is to get your body used to burning fat for fuel (ketosis) and getting the liver used to producing its own glucose for you. As always, your diet should be nutrient rich, to help you tide over healthily to the next meal.

One of the great things about IF is eating one or two huge healthy meals at once, as big as you want. I've found that low-carb, high-veggie, high-fat/protein meals work best to keep you full. Especially in the context of getting your body used to ketosis, while still providing a ton of energy and nutrients. Eat a big old pot roast and buttered veggies(without the potatoes), or a meaty stir-fry. That's the way to live.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times
It can work really well. My cousin lost about 70 pounds in a year mostly via fasting only.

It isn't a crazy idea, many people unintentionally do it by not eating after 6 or whatever. Not eating from 7-7 was normal in the old days anyway. This isn't particularly different.

On the scheme of things, it is easy to start and stop. If you aren't diabetic you should try it. You probably get medical advice if you have blood sugar issues, diabetes or other health issues first.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:55 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,538,099 times
If I ate two huge meaty meals like and stuff slathered in butter, my stomach would be all sorts of messed up. No one would want to be around me. I guess I fast daily in that I eat breakfast no earlier than 10 am and there's times I stop eating at 8 pm. What I don't do is gut load when I do eat. That would ruin my workouts.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,435,274 times
Intermittent Fasting (IF) works.

There is plenty of data to support it.

It's not for everyone.

I don't do IF every day.

Yesterday for example, I got up/woke up at 7 AM and had my first meal of the day at 5 PM.

10 hours without food. Only black coffee, Green Tea, and water.

I did not even think about food.

One of is a great tool to use.

You don't have to do it every day.

If you get hungry take 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother into 8-10 oz of water. It will quell the appetite.

You don't lose muscle but instead produce more growth hormone. Your insulin levels decline significantly.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:55 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,023,106 times
I do that when I am not working out. My hunger doesn't hit until noon or 1pm. If I don't eat some thing before the gym I get light headed and have no stamina.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2018, 03:42 AM

92 posts, read 166,850 times
Watch Dr. Jason Fung videos on IF. I do it and can tell you it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

Old 02-27-2018, 05:29 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
There is a lot of good science behind intermittent fasting. I don't know if I could personally do it, but I think the data shows why and how it works. I think our bodies were built for long periods of not eating (think back to caveman days).

Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,587,774 times
Like all successful diets, it works when it creates a consistent calorie deficit. However, if during the eating window an individual consumes more calories than their body burns during the overall day, they are still going to gain weight. The reason fasting works is that generally speaking, most people can only consume so many calories in a small period of time.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 7,803,054 times
Try to keep the eating times within daylight hours to keep your circadian cycle in check. I do best when I eat at 9-10 am and again at 5-6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss