Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

I usually do one meal a day (OMAD) 5 to 6 times a week. I feel great and actually feel hungry when I eat. I don't eat just because it's "time to eat", that's just plain stuipid. There are many health benefits. Regardless of how or when you do it, it's pretty easy (for most) to see the benefits of EATING LESS. I doubt that it would be good for anybody to do the opposite of that. Isn't that the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If I ate two huge meaty meals like and stuff slathered in butter, my stomach would be all sorts of messed up. No one would want to be around me. I guess I fast daily in that I eat breakfast no earlier than 10 am and there's times I stop eating at 8 pm. What I don't do is gut load when I do eat. That would ruin my workouts.
You don’t have to eat huge meals to be a faster. Or eat ketogenetically. My cousin was vegetarian for most of it. I think that there is a lot of crossover in the keto and fasting camp if there was a venn diagram.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:33 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Hello CityDatatians,

So I'm just meddling around watching Youtube and this commercial comes on with this guy that has ripped abs. He puts on a demonstration with hot frying pan and melting butter. So the guy claims that an idea called "intermittent fasting" is the key to weight loss and burning fat.

So basically that's his whole play. He preaches that if you wake up in the morning, not to pile on breakfast but to wait till around noon so that your body burns stored calories (fat) between that 7am-ish to noon time when you do eat lunch. Basically that's what he describes as intermittent fasting which he does claim, will lose you weight quickly.

Ok, so the guy is no expert. I do not see any credentials, or experience of him helping folks with this method so my bull**** meter is wayyy high. But of course, as always, I'll leave it up to discussion.

If you're with me and feel this is horse manure and just another money-making scheme weigh in. If on the other hand, you do believe he's onto something, also lay down your thoughts, comments, e.t.c

HS
Just depends. Only really when combined with prolonged caloric deficit. What normally happens when we eat is glycogen is stored in the liver and muscles. Then when you don't have any new glycogen coming in because you've digested everything, you pull glycogen from the liver and then muscles. If you eat like a pig from 12-9, you'll just keep topping those glycogen stores up and never really burn fat. It's just calories in, calories out.

On the other hand, if you're eating less calories than you're burning, you'll run low on stored glycogen and burn more fat. Timing is the cart. The horse is caloric deficit. Just keep the horse before the cart and IF is fine. Eat like a pig and you'll gain weight. Doesn't matter if you spend 20 hours fasting and 4 hours stuffing or 18 hours grazing and 6 hours not grazing. Calories in > calories out, get fatter. Calories out > calories in, get less fatter.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Intermittent Fasting - Fact or Horsesh#$t!!

So basically that's his whole play. He preaches that if you wake up in the morning, not to pile on breakfast but to wait till around noon so that your body burns stored calories (fat) between that 7am-ish to noon time when you do eat lunch. Basically that's what he describes as intermittent fasting which he does claim, will lose you weight quickly.

Ok, so the guy is no expert. I do not see any credentials, or experience of him helping folks with this method so my bull**** meter is wayyy high. But of course, as always, I'll leave it up to discussion.
Whoever this guy is, he's fully of baloney. Even Spongebob knows how important breakfast is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPu0xAPfqt4

He sounds like a guy who is just trying to swindle money out of fat people's pockets. I mean come on. Just about EVERY fat/obese person you will ever come across in life will fall into one of two camps: 1) where they say "Oh, I just cant eat in the morning", and they dont eat breakfast; or 2) they get all super gung ho about all the bacon and eggs and ham and bisquts and butter and pancakes, etc. Neither one is conducive to a healthy nutritional intake, which is why they are fat/obese. So I think he's just reaching out to all those fat/obese people who claim to find difficulty in eating in the morning hoping to part them from their money.

What I have found over the years for both myself and many (if not all) of those I have trained to be VERY VERY effective is FASTED CARDIO. This burns fat like crazy and for me it is 100% guaranteed to drop my bodyfat % down.

What do I do? I almost NEVER eat anything after 7:00PM. Only exception is on rare occasion where my resistance training is late and I may have a post workout protein shake. I am up to start my morning cardio at 5:00AM which is 10 hours of "fasting". I guess, if you want to play semantics, you can say this is "intermittent fasting". I'll have 8oz of black (no sugar/no cream) coffee right before beginning my cardio (which btw, I am documenting over in the Daily Exercise Journal forum). I am a pretty heavy beer drinker, and am not at all "young" in age, but I maintain a really nice six pack from this "intermittent fasting" cardio.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 02-27-2018 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 09:15 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Hello CityDatatians,

So I'm just meddling around watching Youtube and this commercial comes on with this guy that has ripped abs. He puts on a demonstration with hot frying pan and melting butter. So the guy claims that an idea called "intermittent fasting" is the key to weight loss and burning fat.

If you're with me and feel this is horse manure and just another money-making scheme weigh in. If on the other hand, you do believe he's onto something, also lay down your thoughts, comments, e.t.c

HS
I knew this person that didn't eat anything two days a week for weight control and cleansing. Next thing you know she had pneumonia. Best thing to do is a balanced diet.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I knew this person that didn't eat anything two days a week for weight control and cleansing. Next thing you know she had pneumonia. Best thing to do is a balanced diet.
I doubt the pneumonia was the result of this diet unless this person was malnourished. I do not see a correlation.
Also, fasting does not cleanse anything.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting

Old 02-28-2018, 11:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This seems more incidental than anything. I mean, I know many people who have contracted pneumonia without intermittent fasting.

And citing a "balanced diet" as a legitimate strategy overly simplifies something that most people find very difficult. Define "balanced" for an average person and then provide them with a concrete plan to follow.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:15 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Eating less on a regular basis is better than herky jerky intermittent fasting (due to the body going through various changes when going into fasting, and coming out of fasting).

Old 03-03-2018, 10:14 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
It is my guess that IF works for some people and not for others. I believe all dieting is highly specific to you as an individual.

For instance.. I know that low carbing offers me zero benefits. In fact, it has made me sick a few times. But also IF does not work for me. My body is just not made to do it and so I am guessing it offers me zero benefits. That is not to say however, that eating less doesn't offer me benefits.

I believe the best diet for me would be a calorie restriction diet where I eat pretty much the same thing daily. This is in part due to what my body wants but I suspect also due to my work life. Where IF just isn't doable.

The evidence continues to pile up that both IF and CR are good for humans and animals... even though I don't think anyone can say for sure exactly why at this point. But for me it seems obvious.. to be healthy humans MUST try to do things the way nature intended. It is obvious nature did not intend for us to have 3 square meals per day and an unending and consistent supply of food. As hunter gatherers we would have had period of fasting so...that should be part of any healthy diet now.

Last edited by Arya Stark; 03-03-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss