Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times

Advertisements

I haven’t read through this entire thread, but as someone who’s been doing intermittent fasting for over a year now, I can definitely say it works for me. First, it gives me a lot of flexibility in what I can eat. Diets tend to be restrictive telling you not to eat this or that. But I haven’t had to do that, which I think is one reason this way of eating has been so easy to stick with. Second, doing IF has made my life a lot easier. I don’t have to plan meals or waste time preparing them. Plus I save a lot of money. Third, it’s given me a better relationship with food. It wasn’t until I started fasting that I realized just how much of my eating was driven by stress, boredom, habit, or social cues and not actual hunger. Fourth, it’s turned me into a bit of a food snob. Because I eat fewer meals, I’m more choosy about I eat, which means I tend enjoy food more than I did before. Finally, I don’t have to exercise as much. In the past, I would worry about missing workouts and thinking I needed to burn off fat. Now, I workout 3 times a week and I’ve maintained my weight loss for over a year. And the best part is I don’t count anything. Not calories, not carbs, nothing. It’s very liberating. I take issue with anyone who says this is some scam to make money. How do you make money telling people to skip meals? Oh and not only did I lose weight and keep it off, I lowered my cholesterol, blood sugar and other blood markers. And despite eating less, I have more energy, better focus, sleep better, and people tell me I even look younger. Feel free to DM me if you want to learn more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I haven’t read through this entire thread, but as someone who’s been doing intermittent fasting for over a year now, I can definitely say it works for me.
Good on you.

I've been doing IF for about a year. 18:6 and at times 20:4 and once in a while 22:2.

It will work for any human being that does it right. It's a systemic physiological function.

I never think about food and feel better.

Sometimes I break it up and eat breakfast for a day or couple of days or say, once per week.

That way the body does not try to adjust too much.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
It's simple logic that IF works. Eat less, lose weight. It's also simple logic that the human body adapts and thrives under these conditions. I've said it before, and it makes perfect sense that the "3 or meals a day" or "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" were ideas started by food companies so they could sell more food. This is especially true for the "breakfast" thing. It was started by cereal companies, specifically Kellogg.

How Breakfast Became a Thing

Here's another one, "Eat many small meals to keep your metabolism up". And by the way, they are still saying this.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/f..._meals_a_day#1

If anything, THIS is Moderator cut: LANGUAGE REMOVED

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-29-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,078 times
Over the last year plus I gained about ten pounds. Nothing seemed to take it off.

Started a better exercise program three months ago. Started IF two months ago.

10 pounds gone!

Of course, it's all based on the individual. But it works for me, and I fully intend to keep it up!

Old 09-30-2018, 11:17 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,277,309 times
Took a little break from CD. Surprised that after the post-Biggest Loser study people still support the CICO fake news.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
I'm two weeks into 16:8 IF and so far I haven't seen any weight loss. The first week, I did not pay any attention to what I was eating. This second week, I'm paying more attention and focusing more on fruits/veggies and less on rice/pasta/bread. I'll play with it a while longer... if I can lose weight on IF, I'll stick with it. It's so easy!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm two weeks into 16:8 IF and so far I haven't seen any weight loss. The first week, I did not pay any attention to what I was eating. This second week, I'm paying more attention and focusing more on fruits/veggies and less on rice/pasta/bread. I'll play with it a while longer... if I can lose weight on IF, I'll stick with it. It's so easy!
If you do IF and still eat whatever you want, it will work but take a lot longer. I did it when I was in college. IMO, it has to be a combination of time restricted eating and eating the right foods for it to show the results you seek. You could work progressively into longer fasts. Go from the 16:8 to 20:4 and then 23:1 which is basically one meal a day. IF is not really considered a "diet". A diet involves food, by definition. So if you do 16:8 and then eat ice cream and pizza and other similar foods during your eating window you are defeating the purpose. The best combination for weight loss in my experience is IF/Keto or at least reduced carb.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,418,578 times
Yes, I started IF almost a month ago, I was tracking everything I eat to no more than 1200 calories a day. I was losing weight then gaining it back over and over even though I was exercising and tracking what I eat during my window of 11am-7pm IF.

I realized after using calorie calculators that I need to eat at least 1500 calories or more with exercise. I started eat more and the weight is coming off again. I do the 16:8 IF. All this to say make sure you are eating the correct calories for your height, weight, age, and sex. Eat more workout days.

Make sure you aren't stalling or gaining because of artificial sugars, alcohols or processed foods. I thought I could eat artificial sugars since they are lower in calories but after months of struggling I found out they make me stall. This includes diet sodas and fat-free foods. Now I eat less of the real stuff. Hang it there, I know it isn't easy.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:50 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I didn't lose any weight my first month on a 16:8 IF. I think my body needed time to adjust to the changes. But I did notice that my pants were less tight!

And my second month 5 pounds dropped right off!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 PM

165 posts, read 241,209 times
If I fast for 18 hours and then eat in next 8 hour window, what does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss