Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
One thing I've noticed today that I've been feeling a bit irritable and on edge. Is this due to the lack of sugar? Withdrawal symptoms, perhaps? And will this pass after a few days?

Not going to have any sugar until dessert time on Saturday night - bet I'll be getting a killer sugar rush from that, lol.

It's sugar withdrawal, and it can last up to two weeks sometimes, though normally no more than 5 days. Just stick with it, and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
One thing I've noticed today that I've been feeling a bit irritable and on edge. Is this due to the lack of sugar? Withdrawal symptoms, perhaps? And will this pass after a few days?

Not going to have any sugar until dessert time on Saturday night - bet I'll be getting a killer sugar rush from that, lol.

Haven't noticed any mood changes.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM

995 posts, read 509,550 times
Doing a bit better today - blasted up Stone Mtn (700' elevation gain) this morning with a time just five minutes off my record. With the exception of a bit of heavy cream in my coffee early this am, I'm closing in on 18 hours of fasting. A bit peckish, but not starving. Amazing what a bit of extra fat will do. Getting ready to do a zero carb lunch to keep the keto thing going.

I think I could get used to this.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
I actually finally got into Ketosis last night after a 12 hour marathon each day of working on raking out 5 years worth of oak and maple leaves in a 1 acre woods the last several days, and burning them. So, I went back out this morning without eating breakfast to continue working on it, was into it about two hours and getting thirsty. Low and below here comes my wife with a drink (she RARELY does that without asking) anyway, I gulped it down without even thinking about it. It was a full glass of SUGAR KOOL-AID, ARGHHHH!

I should have looked at it closer before drinking it...

Old 06-28-2018, 05:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I'm diabetic and have been intermittent fasting with low carb for about 3 months (not quite keto levels of low carb).

Been checking my glucose readings lately and they are quite high.

Morning glucose: 154 (last meal about 12 hours prior)
fasting glucose: 126 (last meal about 22 hours prior)

anyone else seeing this?

I think mine be be higher than others though. link

Old 06-28-2018, 06:15 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I'm diabetic and have been intermittent fasting with low carb for about 3 months (not quite keto levels of low carb).

Out of curiosity, what were your morning and fasting glucose readings before you began IF?

Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:

anyone else seeing this?

No medication I would assume?

What IF schedule are you on?

It could be hormones at work, specifically glucagon. See below
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/glucagon.html

It's basically the body's own defense against low blood sugar and the opposite of insulin. That's why I ask about medication, are you only diet controlled?

Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
What I have found over the years for both myself and many (if not all) of those I have trained to be VERY VERY effective is FASTED CARDIO. This burns fat like crazy and for me it is 100% guaranteed to drop my bodyfat % down.

What do I do? I almost NEVER eat anything after 7:00PM. Only exception is on rare occasion where my resistance training is late and I may have a post workout protein shake. I am up to start my morning cardio at 5:00AM which is 10 hours of "fasting". I guess, if you want to play semantics, you can say this is "intermittent fasting". I'll have 8oz of black (no sugar/no cream) coffee right before beginning my cardio (which btw, I am documenting over in the Daily Exercise Journal forum). I am a pretty heavy beer drinker, and am not at all "young" in age, but I maintain a really nice six pack from this "intermittent fasting" cardio.
Call me intrigued. Can you give us more detail?

I'm not being sarcastic here--I'm curious--because a "heavy beer drinker" doesn't typically go with "nice six pack." (Although I knew a guy who was SHREDDED claimed to drink a 6 pack of beer of night. But I didn't believe it.) I enjoy beer, but I typically don't drink it because it has the reputation for not being good for somebody who wants to keep weight off.

Please clarify your routine:
Up at 5 AM, fasted cardio--do you eat right after your morning workout? So, your feeding window is 7 am - 7 PM? You say you drink beer, but presumably not after 7 PM?

What kind of resistance training do you do?

--

Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Quote:

anyone else seeing this?

Read through this thread and go to some of the links. I am not aware that IF is sure to lower fasting numbers, never did mine. But I know I am using my fat stores, physically is it obvious.

Dr. Jason Fung, on youtube is an Endocrinologist and very much into IF for his pts. Listen to his explanations about it and what it does to your body.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
No medication I would assume?

What IF schedule are you on?

It could be hormones at work, specifically glucagon. See below
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/glucagon.html

It's basically the body's own defense against low blood sugar and the opposite of insulin. That's why I ask about medication, are you only diet controlled?
I stopped taking my metformin, but thinking about taking it up again for a little while. My IF schedule is typically 16 hr fast, 8hrs eating window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Out of curiosity, what were your morning and fasting glucose readings before you began IF?
before IF, I was still using metformin and the morning reading would be 140-160 and fasting would be below 100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss