Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,264,146 times

Advertisements

But I need to know before I do if they explain the program clearly, or do I have to muddle my way through it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 02:06 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
But I need to know before I do if they explain the program clearly, or do I have to muddle my way through it?
See if you have a Weight Watchers meeting place near to you and attend it. The meetings are great and provides a support system for you. If you just want to do it online, why not go to a free site like Sparkpeople or Myfitnesspal?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
See if you have a Weight Watchers meeting place near to you and attend it. The meetings are great and provides a support system for you. If you just want to do it online, why not go to a free site like Sparkpeople or Myfitnesspal?
I don't have time or strength to go to WW real person meetings. I checked myfitnesspal, and while it is certainly helpful, it's too tedious for me. I am working hard to keep my food intake down without making myself unhappy, and am trying to stick to good foods, but I am interested in the WW plan. I'll look at Sparkpeople. One of the reasons I am going to try WW online is because a friend of mine can't stop overeating, and I thought maybe it would help her if we do the WW together, but I don't want a big long process of figuring things out. If possible. Just putting in the foods for myfitnesspal in advance was annoying for me.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Quote:
I don't have time or strength to go to WW real person meetings. I checked myfitnesspal, and while it is certainly helpful, it's too tedious for me. I am working hard to keep my food intake down without making myself unhappy, and am trying to stick to good foods, but I am interested in the WW plan. I'll look at Sparkpeople. One of the reasons I am going to try WW online is because a friend of mine can't stop overeating, and I thought maybe it would help her if we do the WW together, but I don't want a big long process of figuring things out. If possible. Just putting in the foods for myfitnesspal in advance was annoying for me.
I think WW Online is not going to be any easier that MFP or Sparkpeople. And you're gonna pay. If you have trouble with these apps and, especially with your friend who can't stop herself, the meetings are going to be what works. If you can't make the meetings for the support, you should just do one of the free apps.

There's another one people rave about you could look at. I think it's called Lose It.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think WW Online is not going to be any easier that MFP or Sparkpeople. And you're gonna pay. If you have trouble with these apps and, especially with your friend who can't stop herself, the meetings are going to be what works. If you can't make the meetings for the support, you should just do one of the free apps.

There's another one people rave about you could look at. I think it's called Lose It.
OK, thanks. I'm not sure as to how savvy my friend is re the apps, but I just looked into sparkpeople and am trying to figure it out for myself. They say I have to eat about 1200-1500 a day and I am not sure if I can eat so few calories. So then I checked another program online and they say 1500 to lose. Another app says that it takes about 250 calories less than your metabolic rate daily to lose 1/2 pound a week. Even THAT doesn't add up to much, but I'm beginning to think I should go with calorie counted meals so I can properly add up what I eat. At least for one or two weeks. WW has meals, so does Atkins. Well, they all have caloric content on their labels.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
WW is ok for people who seem to need the structure. You just may be one of those people. Keeping in track of Point is not easier than entering data in MFP. I found that I was always hungry with WW, especially once you lose weight. Then you get even fewer points. WW doesn't tell you that 18 pts is really only 1200 calories, and 23 is basically 1350. If you're having a hard time with calorie restriction without the points system, I'm not sure if it will be easier for you with it.

I notice that WW has moved to "Freestyle". I've been freestyling it on my own from the beginning. I eat lightly throughout the week and treat myself to a cheat meal once a week.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Quote:
OK, thanks. I'm not sure as to how savvy my friend is re the apps, but I just looked into sparkpeople and am trying to figure it out for myself. They say I have to eat about 1200-1500 a day and I am not sure if I can eat so few calories. So then I checked another program online and they say 1500 to lose. Another app says that it takes about 250 calories less than your metabolic rate daily to lose 1/2 pound a week. Even THAT doesn't add up to much, but I'm beginning to think I should go with calorie counted meals so I can properly add up what I eat. At least for one or two weeks. WW has meals, so does Atkins. Well, they all have caloric content on their labels.
About the apps: does your friend have a computer? A lot of people don't like to use phone apps. I use(d) MyFitnessPal and I much preferred to sit down on the computer and do my logging versus doing it on my iPhone app. I did use the phone app here and there, but I enjoyed logging it while on my computer. I also made HEAVY use of the MyFitnessPal support forums. At times, it was great to connect with others who had the same struggles and get some tips or just a pep talk.

The lowest caloric value I ever used was 1240 calories. I could only sustain that for about 3 weeks. My quality of life was very poor. I ended up settling at about 1400-1500 calories per day. It was still tough but I could manage. I am 54 years old so my metabolism has gone down and I can't lose on what I used to. When I was in my 30s, I could lose sufficiently on 1700 calories. No more.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:
Your friend should start going to Over Eater Anonymous if she cannot stop over eating. It sounds like emotional eating. There is not a diet in the world that can help someone who does not want to be helped. If you think the structure of WW might help then again, the meetings will be key. WW online will be tedious too, if you find entering your food annoying.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM

905 posts, read 668,778 times
With Weight Watchers Freestyle so many foods are free that you don't really have to log your food if you are eating zero point. I think I use about 10 points a day with so many being zero.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
Quote:
Why is eating fewer calories a problem for you? I mean, that's how you're going to lose weight, there's no real alternative short of cutting off body parts.

I'm a 5'11" male and maintained a 1,200 calorie per day budget for nearly five months without issue. And that was while also getting 15k-20k steps per day and working out rigorously 3-4 days per week. It wasn't very hard to find smart food choices which filled me up but kept the calories low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss