Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,820,210 times

Advertisements

I always get super hungry at work.. sometimes I bring healthy snacks like nuts but sometimes I still end up getting crap out of the vending machine. Today I ate a jumbo honey bun and two butterfingers. Plus I had a Gatorade. I brought some peas and carrots, one of those Lipton rice mixes (taco rice) , and some rotisserie chicken for lunch today. No matter what I eat I never feel full. I’m 6’3 260 and trying to get down to at least 230 and I have been tracking my calories through My Fitness Pal since December and I have only lost like 2 pounds. Should I quit sweets completely? I try to not buy sweets to keep in the house but whenever I’m out somewhere or at work I will buy a couple sweet snacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,582,039 times
Sugar is a killer. Try 'Swerve.'

Old 03-09-2018, 12:58 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,041,893 times
Why not bring 2 lunches? If you're eating 2 candy bars and a cinnamon roll, you're probably better off eating a second healthy lunch. It sounds like you're a volume eater, so I'd try to eat soups, fruit salad, etc since you can usually get a lot of food. But tbh, I think an Atkins type diet is the best solution for someone who needs volume. Some people just need to always be eating, hungry or not.

The lunch you brought today is pretty terrible especially if you're trying to lose weight. Except for the chicken, it's all sugar/carbs/sodium. I would have made a big chicken salad with mayo, wrapped in huge lettuce leaves or pita bread. You should try double or triple the meat and lowering the sides to see if you feel better.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,764,609 times
Sounds like you might not be eating enough good fats and proteins.

I highly recommend this resource for those who want to reduce their dependence on sugar:

https://www.drdavidludwig.com

Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,503 times
Y'know, tracking calories and using that information to create a consistent deficit is not the same thing. They're clearly related, but knowing how many calories you've consumed won't get the job done.

I can't think of any reason why someone who is aware of the calorie payload for a food/drink item and attempting to lose weight would ever drink Gatorade or eat a candy bar, period. And you're always hungry because apparently, you chose loads of empty calories to consume which are too high and don't leave anyone feeling full.

Here's what I'd suggest: For one week, for those times where you experience hunger pangs between meals, drink at least 24 ounces of ice-cold water as fast as you can manage. Also, try and drink at least 36-48 ounces of water between meals as well. For that one week, no matter how miserable you may be, completely cut out the junk food and bad food choices and see where that gets you.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,999,165 times
Lay off the sugar and carbs and eat more fat.

Replace sugar/carb calories with fat calories. You will feel fuller and your blood sugar will be more stable which means fewer hunger swings.

For example, have a burger with cheese, no bun and veggies for lunch. You WILL feel full.
Have eggs, cheese and sausage for BF.

Count your calories. Make your calories COUNT.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,199,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I always get super hungry at work.. sometimes I bring healthy snacks like nuts but sometimes I still end up getting crap out of the vending machine. Today I ate a jumbo honey bun and two butterfingers. Plus I had a Gatorade. I brought some peas and carrots, one of those Lipton rice mixes (taco rice) , and some rotisserie chicken for lunch today. No matter what I eat I never feel full. I’m 6’3 260 and trying to get down to at least 230 and I have been tracking my calories through My Fitness Pal since December and I have only lost like 2 pounds. Should I quit sweets completely? I try to not buy sweets to keep in the house but whenever I’m out somewhere or at work I will buy a couple sweet snacks.
IMO, you need to get a few weeks under your belt to get the sugar out of your system (and out of your mind). To that end, I would suggest going home and throwing all the sugary snack out of your home. Then when you "slip up" and buy a new container, as soon as you realize what you have done, toss the half-full or even full box out immediately (or if you can, give it to a neighbor so as not to waste food).

In the workplace, I would stop taking money to work for a few weeks - or maybe take large bills if you need emergency cash.

Every time there is an office party, stay out of the kitchen where the cakes and cookies are. If that is not possible, take a good friend aside and ask them to help you out by watching that you don't indulge. Just knowing they are watching will keep you from "pieing out."

I find that once you stop drinking or eating sugar for a while, it is easier not to eat it later. Then once something triggers you again and you "backslide" start the purge again. For me sugar is not a "weakness," instead, it is a "true addiction" and it needs to be treated as such.

The empty feeling can be assuaged with water (lots of it - did you know the average person should be drinking more than a gallon a day - for someone your (our) size closer to two). If the water doesn't do it, start drinking water with soluble fiber - But be prepared for QUICK trips to the men's room.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-09-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,578,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Y'know, tracking calories and using that information to create a consistent deficit is not the same thing. They're clearly related, but knowing how many calories you've consumed won't get the job done.

I can't think of any reason why someone who is aware of the calorie payload for a food/drink item and attempting to lose weight would ever drink Gatorade or eat a candy bar, period. And you're always hungry because apparently, you chose loads of empty calories to consume which are too high and don't leave anyone feeling full.

Here's what I'd suggest: For one week, for those times where you experience hunger pangs between meals, drink at least 24 ounces of ice-cold water as fast as you can manage. Also, try and drink at least 36-48 ounces of water between meals as well. For that one week, no matter how miserable you may be, completely cut out the junk food and bad food choices and see where that gets you.
I "GET" it. It's called CRAVINGS.

Sure, it's easy to read on the box/bottle/package how many calories are in products and we KNOW they are fattening and forbidden.

Our body doesn't need the sugary treats, but we crave them. Not that I'm obese (have to lose 10-15 pounds) I've been on many diets, but the cravings I suffer when I am dieting, are often my downfall.

As much as I can stuff myself with salads and lean proteins and veggies, I always feel like I'm not satisfied and don't get that "happy, full feeling"

Dieting sucks, but it's the only way to lose weight other than exercising off more calories that you take in.
I DO love having my clothes go loose on me, but I just don't have as much determination as I need to, to stick to a lifestyle change of eating habits.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM

22,694 posts, read 24,716,205 times
Structure, discipline and concentrating on eating healthy foods goes a long way in improving your health.

Structure, I have been eating 3 meals a day and no other calories whatsoever for a long time. This really has helped me be honest with my eating-habits and cut-out junky snacking.

Discipline, I think the 90% rule applies here.........90% of the time, eat high-quality foods. The other 10%, you can eat what you want, within reason, if you really want and need to. I allow myself UP TO 2 cheat-meals a week, MAX.................but I have not had a cheat-meal in months.

Healthy food, well, you have to find a way of eating that works for YOU. For me, low-carb is pretty good, YMMV.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,966,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
The only way that I know of to stop craving sweets is to stop eating sweets. For me, moderation does not work with sweets. Once I start with sweets I find it very difficult to stop. It has nothing to do with knowing what is good for me. Once I start I am physically compelled to keep eating sweets.

My advice to you is to stop eating bread, rice, potatoes, and sugar for at least 3 weeks. It takes that long to make it a habit. While you are adapting don't worry that much about calories. Eat high fat, foods with protein until you are no longer hungry (this doesn't mean stuff yourself). When you get hungry again, eat again. After you are adapted you can worry about quantities. You will probably lose weight in the first 3 weeks even if you don't worry about calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss