Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Lol .... want to lose weight? Don't eat for days!

Thank goodness I didn't follow such absurdity. As someone who lifts as a hobby, I find it hard to believe that you'd be strong and ripped doong what you're doing. Pics or it didn't happen
If you have questions about explosive growth, you can take a look at the body/arms/pecs on Cole, the inventor of this diet. He's pretty stacked at 7% body fat.But hey, go enjoy your protein powders and 6 meals a day of chicken breast and rice. I heard constantly meal planning is always fun.

It's simple...you drive your body into ketosis, your electrolytes are preserved, when you get lean you reintroduce carbs on refeeds, and after each refeed your growth hormone kicks in. Works for the creator of this system as his pictures suggest, his testimonials, and myself.

You do you and I'll do me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you have questions about explosive growth, you can take a look at the body/arms/pecs on Cole, the inventor of this diet. He's pretty stacked at 7% body fat.But hey, go enjoy your protein powders and 6 meals a day of chicken breast and rice. I heard constantly meal planning is always fun.

It's simple...you drive your body into ketosis, your electrolytes are preserved, when you get lean you reintroduce carbs on refeeds, and after each refeed your growth hormone kicks in. Works for the creator of this system as his pictures suggest, his testimonials, and myself.

You are forgetting one important thing with this salt water fast or snake diet or whatever you want to call it and that is nutrition. Without food, you cannot get nourishment. You will lose weight but how long can you sustain it on so little food? Burning your own body fat will give you the energy you need for some time assuming you have the reserves but the fat will not give you vitamins and minerals which are essential, aren't they?

Granted, you will lose weight but feel like total crap IMO. OMAD and Keto work for me and I don't get any flu or side effects and I feel better for it. I also make sure that that one meal is healthy and nutritious and high in fat. I prefer the 20:4 schedule. I have dinner about 6pm and a couple of snacks afterward.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You are forgetting one important thing with this salt water fast or snake diet or whatever you want to call it and that is nutrition. Without food, you cannot get nourishment. You will lose weight but how long can you sustain it on so little food? Burning your own body fat will give you the energy you need for some time assuming you have the reserves but the fat will not give you vitamins and minerals which are essential, aren't they?
Sodium and potassium are in the salt water

Quote:
Granted, you will lose weight but feel like total crap IMO.
Plain water fasting will have you feeling this way I agree insofar as that is concerned. Salt water I usually feel great. Hungry but great.

Quote:
OMAD and Keto work for me and I don't get any flu or side effects and I feel better for it. I also make sure that that one meal is healthy and nutritious and high in fat. I prefer the 20:4 schedule. I have dinner about 6pm and a couple of snacks afterward.
OMAD is perfectly fine and even a great way to go. I endorse IF also and I don't think it's one size fits all. The prolonged fasting is for fatties who need to lose a pile of weight quickly, combined with the therapeutic effects of fasting in cancer prevention and growth hormone secretion.

Because I'm at around 9-10% body fat I cannot prolong fast effectively without breaking down muscle. I have to intentionally fatten up every time I do more than 72 hours, like 4000 calories a day for several days. I can't do 7 day fasts anymore unless I pig out for weeks.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

What's a re-feed?

Old 03-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's a re-feed?
That is the term for when you eat after a fast: usually describing the macro and calorie breakdown (carbs, fat, protein) since different goals mean different macro breakdown. When you're a fatty, you cut carbs at all costs. When you're ripped and lean, you introduce carbs to get jam at the gym, and cut back when you gain too much weight again. Rinse and repeat.

A 24 hour dry fast will often contain 2 kg of cucumbers and 1 1/2 packages of bacon (grease included), totaling 3000 calories but I will still lose weight eating all that. Low carb and supplies all of the sodium and potassium necessary.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
That is the term for when you eat after a fast: usually describing the macro and calorie breakdown (carbs, fat, protein) since different goals mean different macro breakdown. When you're a fatty, you cut carbs at all costs. When you're ripped and lean, you introduce carbs to get jam at the gym, and cut back when you gain too much weight again. Rinse and repeat.

A 24 hour dry fast will often contain 2 kg of cucumbers and 1 1/2 packages of bacon (grease included), totaling 3000 calories but I will still lose weight eating all that. Low carb and supplies all of the sodium and potassium necessary.
The goal is get lean and stay lean, not yo-yo back and forth.

This idea of losing weight, then gaining, then losing is not healthy. For what purpose would you do this?

Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The goal is get lean and stay lean, not yo-yo back and forth.
Wrong. Intentionally fattening up is the only way you can do prolonged fasting if you are already lean and remain anabolic at the end. How will you achieve the therapeutic advantages that fasting provides if you don't fatten up to prepare? Fasting is extremely painful if you are already lean but is a joke if you are a fatty.

Quote:
This idea of losing weight, then gaining, then losing is not healthy. For what purpose would you do this?
Why would you say this? Because this is a mainstream argument? The reason why this conventional wisdom even exists is because the losing weight part of weight control has been traditionally difficult, because we are taught the stupidity of 3 meals a day or eating on back to back days. When you do a calorie deficit with constant re-feeds, you become catabolic. Since fasting is so frowned upon by the mainstream, there is no other possibility to lose those last few pounds prior to becoming lean without the danger of losing muscle mass. Fasting is that only way to preserve muscle and boost your metabolism at the end of the tunnel.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Intentionally fattening up is the only way you can do prolonged fasting if you are already lean and remain anabolic at the end. How will you achieve the therapeutic advantages that fasting provides if you don't fatten up to prepare? Fasting is extremely painful if you are already lean but is a joke if you are a fatty.
Sorry this is the stupidest argument I've ever seen. If you are already lean and healthy why would you want to gain therapeutic advantages? and you wouldn't want to or need to fast. Fasting is not painful if your are lean, to you it may be but not to everybody.

Quote:
Why would you say this? Because this is a mainstream argument? The reason why this conventional wisdom even exists is because the losing weight part of weight control has been traditionally difficult, because we are taught the stupidity of 3 meals a day or eating on back to back days. When you do a calorie deficit with constant re-feeds, you become catabolic. Since fasting is so frowned upon by the mainstream, there is no other possibility to lose those last few pounds prior to becoming lean without the danger of losing muscle mass. Fasting is that only way to preserve muscle and boost your metabolism at the end of the tunnel.
Once you reach your goal, stay there and maintain your health. I don't care for or believe in the mainstream, quite the contrary and you are basing your statements on your experience or what you saw on that youtube video you posted. Fasting has been used for centuries for therapeutic advantages as you state and your DON'T fatten up first just so you can fast. I say get to your goal and yes keep fasting. It's not painful in the least.

And while you are at it, why don't you elaborate on these therapeutic advantages.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
man...I'm so glad I didn't pay attention to all of this when I was losing. Call it mainstream or whatever. To lose, I returned to eating smaller portions and started working out on a regular basis. I started taking the stairs rather than the elevator. I incorporated movement into my daily life. Made healthier food choices. That was it, in a nutshell.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
man...I'm so glad I didn't pay attention to all of this when I was losing. Call it mainstream or whatever. To lose, I returned to eating smaller portions and started working out on a regular basis. I started taking the stairs rather than the elevator. I incorporated movement into my daily life. Made healthier food choices. That was it, in a nutshell.
I'm glad it worked for you. I'm personally glad I went the approach I did. It reduced my C-Reactive Protein, got my BP back to a perfect 117/78, and had me gain a ton of lean muscle mass. My testosterone levels went up markedly too, an added bonus for wifey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss