Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

I prefer to eat said hamburger in a whole wheat, high fiber pita.

You make it sound like as soon as you stick a food containing carbs ("breads") into your mouth, you're on a fast track to being overweight. That's not true. That woman ate too much. She was in denial all right, with how much she was consuming. She was probably sedentary too, which isn't great as you get older (I definitely believe in "use it or lose it").

I love carbs (not just bread...in fact I really don't eat many slices of "bread" much of the week except for a sandwich every now and then) and won't give them up and why would I when I don't have to? She needs to learn how to eat smaller portions, reduce mindless eating/snacking and have balanced meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I prefer to eat said hamburger in a whole wheat, high fiber pita.

You make it sound like as soon as you stick a food containing carbs ("breads") into your mouth, you're on a fast track to being overweight. That's not true. That woman ate too much. She was in denial all right, with how much she was consuming. She was probably sedentary too, which isn't great as you get older (I definitely believe in "use it or lose it").

I love carbs (not just bread...in fact I really don't eat many slices of "bread" much of the week except for a sandwich every now and then) and won't give them up and why would I when I don't have to? She needs to learn how to eat smaller portions, reduce mindless eating/snacking and have balanced meals.
Most love carbs and we are experiencing a U.S. of obessity and higher than ever diabetes. I don't love foods, I like foods and enjoy my burger without a bun. Bed of nice lettuce suits me fine. And yes, I watch my blood sugars levels and last thing I want is more health issues. I treat myself to a Carl's angus burger on a bun once a month or so....we are born and raised with grains. People are making changes but many too late.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most love carbs and we are experiencing a U.S. of obessity and higher than ever diabetes. I don't love foods, I like foods and enjoy my burger without a bun. Bed of nice lettuce suits me fine. And yes, I watch my blood sugars levels and last thing I want is more health issues. I treat myself to a Carl's angus burger on a bun once a month or so....we are born and raised with grains. People are making changes but many too late.
Many people love carbs and why not? However, the carbs that people love are usually french fries, honey buns, and stuff like that. Things doused in salt and sugar. Pasta drenched in butter and cream sauces.
Jumbo portions too.

I love food, and I love eating. That isn't gonna change. I just have a handle on it for the first time in awhile.

While I understand that you believe in carb restriction, your admonition for people to "make changes" reeks of imposing your views on others. The doctor told the lady to lose weight. that can be accomplished by several methods. She could still eat "breads" and lose weight unless she is pre-disposed to certain conditions that dictate she limit her intake.

Eating carbs does not cause more health issues in many people. Carbs are not the reason why America is obese. If you enjoy your burger with lettuce leaves by all means go ahead but you don't have to eat that way at all.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:37 PM

I really don't want to argue this, everyone does what they want. But overweight it a BIG issue in our country. Wonder how much grains are eaten in Japan, these are a pretty thin people.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
I really don't want to argue this, everyone does what they want. But overweight it a BIG issue in our country. Wonder how much grains are eaten in Japan, these are a pretty thin people.
They eat a LOT of grains (rice), and noodles (ramen, udon, etc.). So do the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2018, 03:59 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Rice is a grain. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 04-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They eat a LOT of grains (rice), and noodles (ramen, udon, etc.). So do the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Rice is a grain. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly. I dated a Japanese guy (who introduced me to buckwheat noodles, mmm). Rice is traditionally eaten at every meal. Then there's noodles. Asians eat a LOT of carbs. So do Europeans. Both groups eat sweets too. Difference is traditionally they consume smaller portions. Rice is probably at most a cup, served in a small bowl. Meat is also not dominating the meal.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:12 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Bread and other carbs certainly can make people fat. The exact mechanism varies, but it is there.

I start ramping-up my carbs, bread, grains, etc......my appetite starts going up and up and up.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM

I stopped pasta eating, eat hardly any rice, when I have sushi yes and breads are out and I believe mostly for me, I want to keep my blood sugar numbers under control...and also my weight in check...I do not go to gyms and exercise like I did for most of my life...just got off my bike and my knee felt OK cycling but now it's aching after the fact....so I know what I'm dealing with.

I get plenty to eat and I'm doing fine with my current choices. I was born and raised on grains (pasta and breads) but can't go there now at this late date.

For years, I said my last supper would be a bowl of spaghetti, meat balls and sausage and peppers...we shall see about that one.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Bread and other carbs certainly can make people fat. The exact mechanism varies, but it is there.

I start ramping-up my carbs, bread, grains, etc......my appetite starts going up and up and up.
Only sugary foods do that to me. My appetite doesn't increase when I eat rice, potatoes, or other complex carbs and that is due to fiber. It takes longer to digest whereas the main purpose of simple carbs is instant energy, ready to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss