Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,506,019 times

Advertisements

In the last three months, I've dropped about 15 pounds. My gut is disappearing and my clothes are getting looser. I'm very happy about that! But some of my friends say, "you look fine ...you don't need to lose any more. I may look fine to them, but standing naked in front of a mirror, I still want to gag a bit!

I started off at 218 last summer and now I'm down to 186. I'm 5' 9.5" in height. I'd like to get down to 150, which is what I weighed in college. At 65, I don't want to take off weight as fast as I could at 45. Skin is not as elastic, the older you get! My next door neighbor dropped 60 lbs in 3 months and had a flap of skin hanging down between his belly and "privates" for lack of a better word. That was gross!! If it takes another year to get down to 150, so what?

Do you have friends and relatives who have said the same thing to you? These tend to be people who are a bit on the "plump side" themselves. I just wonder that as I get thinner, I start to remind other people of their own caloric misadventures. Just last week, at the grocery store, I was talking to a cashier and mentioned my diet. She said "you don't need to lose any weight ...you're almost too skinny!". I'm thinking to myself, "Honey, you could lose a good 40 lbs ...and I could lose another 40 myself!"

I just wonder too about where I live, makes a difference in how I look, compared to the rest of the population. I'm originally from NJ, where people tend to be thinner than in North Carolina. What are your thoughts about this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 AM

854 posts, read 1,710,866 times
Why would you mention your diet to the cashier ?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
OP, if you pay less attention to the opinions of others and do what you want you will have much less stress.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times
It happens to me a lot. I am a woman and for most of my life I weighed about 140 lbs (I'm 5'7"). I felt good at that weight. My clothes fit great. Weight has crept up over the years to about 155. Do I look chubby or overweight? Nope. I still have my shape and wear flattering clothes. But I feel yucky. I have rolls through my midsection that Spanx takes care of. My knees are pudgy and look gross in shorts. Fat overlapping bra strap, etc. You get the picture.

Anyway, at work we all do talk about weight, clothes, eating habits and I did mention that I was "back on my plan" because my "fat" clothes were getting tight. I actually keep about 3 different sizes on my closet for my various stages of weight. Whenever we talk about it in a group, I always get the "you don't need to worry about it, you look great." And so on. They are all heavier than me and then I end up feeling bad because they do have a much longer/harder road ahead of them than I do.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,471,807 times
You are doing great on your weight loss it sounds like. Keep doing what makes you happy and ignore the comments that you are just fine the way you are if you feel that you would like to lose some more. You have to do what makes you feel best, happy and healthy. Many people are negative or don't encourage the success of others.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,529,448 times
Congrats OP on your loss! I hear you on that one. These people mean well though. As long as people aren't sabotaging your efforts to lose weight, I'd just smile and disregard. You know your body best. When I regained over the holidays (eating too much and sidelined from the gym due to pneumonia), I had people saying "That's good, you were too thin before". I've had people cautioning me about not getting too thin. Bless their hearts. I wasn't comfortable with the extra weight AT ALL and got to work burning it off. I'm just about back to where I was before the holiday setback and I feel better. When it comes to weight, it all comes down to how I feel not what others think, unless I'm disordered of course (which can happen when you diet). I actually don't see myself as thin, either. I'm 5'10, range between 149-153 lbs. Sure, I work out but I'm not (and never will be) rail thin.

I live in Texas and honestly, when I was overweight I just fit right in with most of the population. Oh well. I never felt bad about being overweight because I was just part of the crowd. No point and look at the obese person, I was just one of the group.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,840,001 times
Jealousy and insecurity. When I was in the process of losing 40 pounds more than a few people said they didn't understand why I was losing weight. Some people would actually try and derail me by offering me food. Or get upset when I did not partake. At my job at the time we held monthly meetings and there would always be these really good pastries. A very overweight coworker made snide comments my diet when I did not take any to eat.
Just keep doing what you are doing and ignore the rest.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:03 AM

22,679 posts, read 24,673,472 times
You KNOW what is the best weight for you. I mean, as you get older, any excess weight is just all the more of a burden.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,815,216 times
An MD on the radio here says, an extra pound on the body is 5 extra lbs on the knees.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,506,019 times
One of the reasons I'm on this quest, is that my doctor kept trying to force a statin on me and I've heard too many horror stories about their side effects. I think that as you get older, a pill seems like a much easier solution than to effect a "major lifestyle change" in the way you eat.

Turning 65 last October, gave me added impetus to start losing weight and permanently change my eating habits. For the last couple of years, I half-heartedly did my semi-Atkins diet on and off, only to fall off the wagon and go back to excessive munching. I saw the doctor last October and told him I would make a really concerted effort to change my blood chemistry through exercise and diet rather than take a statin.

In October of 2017 my lab results showed:

Cholesterol - 210
Triglycerides - 107
HDL - 56
LDL - 133

In April of 2018 my lab results showed:

Cholesterol - 179
Triglycerides - 107
HDL - 60
LDL - 98

Doctors seem to want to push statins on you, once your cholesterol level hits 200. Just losing over 20 lbs changed my numbers to something my doc was pleased with! I plan to drop my cholesterol and lbs to 150!

One of the reasons I was slow off the mark to lose weight was, that by North Carolina standards, I don't look too bad. When I walk through my local Walmart, I almost feel skinny. A few weeks back, I was buying some Atkins shakes that were on sale and the lady at the register said, "Are they for you?" I said yes, and she looked surprised.

I suppose if I was walking down the Santa Monica pier, past endless 20-something shirtless males on skateboards with washboard abs, (hi, jaminhealth!) I'd have felt "fatter" a lot sooner!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 04-11-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss