Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Jamin, we get it already. You don’t eat bread, bread makes everyone fat, etc etc. Do we really need multiple similar topics? (See below). Just like you find it kind of funny that people love bread I find it kind of funny eating a burger with tasteless lettuce leaves. Let people love what they love and You continue loving what you love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 07:58 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
All of those links reference only one observational study and this quote is the most important statement:

"The authors point out that this is an observational study, so no firm conclusions can be drawn about cause and effect, and they outline some limitations that could have introduced bias."
As I said, there are many links - I just picked a few. Do your own research if you don't believe me.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM

384 posts, read 376,672 times
Do Carbs Make You Hungrier? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Eating carbs like bread will make you even hungrier . I generally follow low carb , this past weekend I splurged and ate a donut and coffee . An hour later I was ravenous , more so than had I not ate anything.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post

Eating carbs like bread will make you even hungrier . I generally follow low carb , this past weekend I splurged and ate a donut and coffee . An hour later I was ravenous , more so than had I not ate anything.
Eating a donut is not representative of all carbs. It is representative of refined carbs. Below is an excerpt from the article you posted clearly stating that grains are not the enemy, on the contrary, they provide fiber, and are satiating.

Carbs without Cravings
Whole natural carbohydrate sources don't cause a spike in your blood sugar. That's because refined grains contain just the grain's starchy endosperm, while whole grains also contain the bran and germ, which provide fiber. Fiber slows the absorption of carbs into your bloodstream and also fills your stomach to help you stay satisfied longer. Healthy choices include whole-wheat and pumpernickel bread, oatmeal, quinoa and brown rice. Fruits and vegetables are also fiber-rich sources of carbohydrates -- just watch out for white potatoes, which raise blood sugar significantly.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I love bread (especially sourdough and sprouted grain) and eat some every day. I maintain my proper weight just fine eating bread and grains. The thing that I had to cut out was processed sugar (cookies, chocolate, cake, etc) I also had to cut out nuts like cashews, peanuts, pistachios. Those things made me feel sick, bloated, skin breakouts and weight gain. Breads and natural grains to not affect me at all (assuming I do not overconsume)

Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post

If you eat a donut, which is nothing but fat and sugar, of course you're going to be ravenous.

If satiety is what you are after, you eat complex carbohydrates.

I have yet to hear of someone bingeing on baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, etc.

Dinner rolls are basically in the same camp as donuts in terms of substance as they have little to no fiber.

Pair the carbs with protein and fat for a complete meal and you'll be good to go.

That article that you linked clearly said that refined carbs have that effect, not complex carbs. But somehow people think that all carbs cause people to pig out like crazy. I eat a cup of beans and rice and I have never had the urge to keep consuming.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love bread (especially sourdough and sprouted grain) and eat some every day. I maintain my proper weight just fine eating bread and grains. The thing that I had to cut out was processed sugar (cookies, chocolate, cake, etc) I also had to cut out nuts like cashews, peanuts, pistachios. Those things made me feel sick, bloated, skin breakouts and weight gain. Breads and natural grains to not affect me at all (assuming I do not overconsume)
same here. sugary snacks trigger that never ending cycle and cause bloating and weight gain. that is why I never turn to sugar when I'm hungry. Sugary things are TREATS and I'm never hungry when I eat them. I eat controlled amounts too. By doing that, there's no weight gain or any ill effects.

For most people, eating in moderation means that you can eat a lot of things with no issue. If you overeat, that's another story.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love sourdough too. But I only eat it once a week or so. Bread however has never been my downfall, or pasta, which we make full of veggies. I eat white rice with no ill effect. I stopped eating donuts about 30 years ago. To me they were just deep fried dough dipped in sugar. Not worth the empty calories at all. For the most part I stay away from cakes and cookies, and any other sugary refined carb food.

Its just common sense if you want to eat healthy and/or lose weight, you stay away from empty calorie foods, which are mainly refined carb/sugary foods. Complex carb grains have lots of nutrients and fiber and have a satiating effect.
And of course, like you stated - common sense dictates we do not over eat them, or any food.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM

9,099 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
As I said, there are many links - I just picked a few. Do your own research if you don't believe me.
They are all links to the same study. I have been doing consistent food research for over a year now and the case again grains is stronger in my opinion. The big corporate agribusiness entities are heavily invested in grains and soybeans. I have read far too much food science to fall for the grains are only good mantra.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
They are all links to the same study. I have been doing consistent food research for over a year now and the case again grains is stronger in my opinion. The big corporate agribusiness entities are heavily invested in grains and soybeans. I have read far too much food science to fall for the grains are only good mantra.
Not all grains are bad. And not all grains are being pushed by big agri. You could just as easily do a years worth of research and find that grains are actually good for you too. There is a lot of information out there and you need to know who you are getting it from. Not an easy task.

Common sense alone will tell you that grains are not the enemy. People from all over the world eat grains without ill effect or obesity problems. Its processed food with refined grains that are in a lot of baked goods. Those are bad. Faro, quinoa, millet, bulgar, black, wild, and brown rice, etc... All great sources of fiber and nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss