Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times

Advertisements

I was strict ovo-vegetarian for 28 years, but started eating meat and dairy about 9 months ago. I consume beef probably 2 or 3 times per week, and have not gained any weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 08:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
You will still gain weight on a low carb diet if you eat too many calories. This is much more common in people who use sauces and artificial sweeteners to add sweetness which increases their cravings and can cause them to eat more calories in general.

Generally though it's carbs that are addictive and carbs people tend to overeat that bring on weight gain.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:41 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A kind of silly question, but here goes...

Does eating a lot of beef make you heavy? Met a very nice but very heavy woman last night. She was talking about her love of beef. Sounded as though she ate lots of it. Don't know about the rest of her diet. Beef was all she talked about -- and this nifty new way of cooking it.

Just wondered -- can you eat lots of beef and stay slender-ish??
There's no connection in my experience and from what the science says. Eating more calories than you are burning over a long period of time is what causes weight gain. People are more likely to eat more than necessary and gain weight if they eat a lot of sugar, because it is stored rapidly as fat and people get hungry again very soon despite having already eaten more than enough calories.

I eat no sugar but eat a lot of meat. I am slim and athletic and around 10% body fat.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
What I've noticed is that meat lovers tend to put weight on more easily.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,598,275 times
its got more to do with portion sizes and lack of exercise than eating or not eating meat.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:24 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I was strict ovo-vegetarian for 28 years, but started eating meat and dairy about 9 months ago. I consume beef probably 2 or 3 times per week, and have not gained any weight.

I rarely ate meat,then went on a paleo diet and eat more meat than I ever have and I’m losing weight

Old 07-04-2018, 11:30 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No, bread/pasta/cereals do not make people fat. Over eating them does.
Agreed. I think a lot of people make gluten the enemy when overeating is the real culprit. I have had chronic constipation issues and have gradually switched over to a pescetarian diet (vegetarian plus seafood, no other meats.) I have been able to control my weight much better and the constipation disappeared. I tried everything I could think of to treat it and control my weight before and nothing helped. No, all I need is high fiber vegetables and it works. I also feel better overall. Eating more vegetables and fruits is always a good thing, IMO.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'd like to amend this previous post . While I am still well within a healthy weight range, I have put on 4 pounds this summer. The only identifiable change is that I was eating meat instead of my usual beans, tofu, and tempeh. I don't think I'll give it up completely (it did get me out of a food rut, and made meal planning for a family easier), I think I'm going to limit my consumption.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Quote:

(unrelated to thread topic)

I'm curious. What prompted the change? Do you regret being on either side the change?

Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
(unrelated to thread topic)

I'm curious. What prompted the change? Do you regret being on either side the change?
Regret... no. I’ve always been far too rigid and restrictive with my food, to the detriment of my own health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss