Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:34 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times

Advertisements

I wonder if many big meat-eaters have high cholesterol? Mine's low, but I rarely eat meat. Animal protein is high in saturated fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 10:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I wonder if many big meat-eaters have high cholesterol? Mine's low, but I rarely eat meat. Animal protein is high in saturated fat.
People who have high cholesterol levels are often advised to make lifestyle changes prior to going on medication. One of the lifestyle changes that is almost always mentioned is to reduce meat consumption--especially pork and red meat since those are particularly high in saturated fat. The one exception is certain fish (mackerel/salmon/tuna/sardines) which are high in omega 6 fatty acids and have beneficial effects on good cholesterol (HDL) levels.

High cholesterol has a familial component for certain. Both of my parents have high cholesterol and both of my siblings also have it. My sister and brother both were on cholesterol medications for a couple of years before I was. They both ate a standard American diet and I was primarily vegetarian with the periodic salmon or other fish. It still hovered right around 200 despite being UNDERWEIGHT and physically active; shot right up to 271 at menopause Oh well, the good news is that the lowest dose of statin dropped it down to 160.

I don't think that a diet based mostly on meat is particularly healthy anyhow. I eat a lot of whole grains, vegetables and fruits; I do just fine with that diet.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I would NOT let cholesterol levels get too low, our bodies and brains especially need cholesterol.

Do some research on too low a cholesterol. Again, I feel that so much of this cholesterol fear is man made by the drug companies. My thinking. Parents lived into 90's and never knew the word cholesterol and never knew their numbers. They were of that generation that the word was never known..and most in my life lived long lives.

I eat some meat, not lots, never did. I have cut our breads, pastas and a lot of the white flour type foods....aka carbs.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
People who have high cholesterol levels are often advised to make lifestyle changes prior to going on medication. One of the lifestyle changes that is almost always mentioned is to reduce meat consumption--especially pork and red meat since those are particularly high in saturated fat. The one exception is certain fish (mackerel/salmon/tuna/sardines) which are high in omega 6 fatty acids and have beneficial effects on good cholesterol (HDL) levels.
The problem is that factory-farmed chicken and fish is not really much healthier either, as they are also loaded with saturated fat. Especially due to the fact that don't get the space to engage in much physical activity.

Due to my high cholesterol levels, my doctor has also wanted me to limit my poultry consumption in addition to red meats.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:20 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Lycanmaster: Do some research on the cholesterol myth. Doctors today are keeping people in so much fear of cholesterol.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Lycanmaster: Do some research on the cholesterol myth. Doctors today are keeping people in so much fear of cholesterol.
jamin' I'm with you on the cholesterol myth! I'd worry more about my triglyceride level than my total cholesterol. Triglycerides are what transport LDL cholesterol around your body. High triglycerides = high LDL cholesterol levels!

Old 09-04-2018, 02:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
jamin' I'm with you on the cholesterol myth! I'd worry more about my triglyceride level than my total cholesterol. Triglycerides are what transport LDL cholesterol around your body. High triglycerides = high LDL cholesterol levels!
It's actually the other way around. LDL transports trigs (fats) to the cells.

High LDL does not always equal high triglycerides although the opposite may be true as you stated, that high trigs = high LDL. I don't believe so. When I used to take statins, my LDL was in the normal range but my trigs remained high. Statins just don't help with trigs that much at all from my experience. The doctor would always recommend omega-3 supplements but that never did anything. What did lower my trigs (a lot) was a low carb diet.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's actually the other way around. LDL transports trigs (fats) to the cells.

High LDL does not always equal high triglycerides although the opposite may be true as you stated, that high trigs = high LDL. I don't believe so. When I used to take statins, my LDL was in the normal range but my trigs remained high. Statins just don't help with trigs that much at all from my experience. The doctor would always recommend omega-3 supplements but that never did anything. What did lower my trigs (a lot) was a low carb diet.
Yes, you're right! It's a case of you can't have one without the other in terms of "normal" transport. But one of the great downfalls of statin treatment is that it doesn't do anything to lower triglycerides, which may be just as important a component as cholesterol, in affecting coronary artery disease. I concur that a low or lower carb diet will reduce your triglyceride number. I wish there was some drug that would lower LDL and triglycerides together, but I guess diet and exercise will have to suffice for the time being.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear conflicting things on the seriousness of high cholesterol, so not sure what to think at this point.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I hear conflicting things on the seriousness of high cholesterol, so not sure what to think at this point.
Ask your doctor. You are getting lots of opinions from people who do not have an MD after their name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss