Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,141,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It might have been phrased a little more nicely, but the point is that words are important. In your quest to improve your life it helps to be able to use the correct words correctly. A lot of people will judge you on that, better to learn than to take offense.
we are not suppose to go offtopic during posts. its actually a rule here. And I do know how to type but sometimes i type fast and dont correct myself. And thats ok. People knew what i meant.

Now back to the topic, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 7,117 times
Yes, i eat pasta because pasta is nutritious food. The only thing you keep in mind that if you want to eat pasta and also want to lose weight then don't add meat and cheese to it.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,322,869 times
Italians are, on the average, much thinner than Americans or Australians. Most eat pasta but I think they do not eat between meals as we tend to do. It is all in the overall amount.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,141,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaneshaRestaurant View Post
Yes, i eat pasta because pasta is nutritious food. The only thing you keep in mind that if you want to eat pasta and also want to lose weight then don't add meat and cheese to it.
Yeah that's why i was thinking i would make a lot of it but only add vegetables like zucchini and tomatoes and squash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Italians are, on the average, much thinner than Americans or Australians. Most eat pasta but I think they do not eat between meals as we tend to do. It is all in the overall amount.
yes!! I heard this. I was actually looking stuff up about it but i think they walk everywhere

I walk a lot too but I eat more lol.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,704 times
I don't think so..

Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,322,869 times
Actually, the pasta we ate in the US recently was drowning in sauce and covered in cheese. Would be quite fattening. A lot of Italian pasta has very little sauce and is much lighter and better for a diet.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,588,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaneshaRestaurant View Post
Pasta is not, as a rule, nutritious.

You could eat Twinkie's every day and lose weight. You could eat donuts every day and lose weight. As long as you consume less energy than your body needs to operate you will reduce the amount of stored energy (fat).

The key is to understand how much energy each serving contains and adjust accordingly. A cup of pasta without anything added is somewhere around 200 calories. Two cups with additional ingredients can be really filling, and come in under 750 calories. But you have to measure those additional ingredients (e.g., 1/2 cup of Prego = 65 kCal, grilled chicken breast 4 oz = 180 kCal, cup of broccoli = 65 kCal). I'd enjoy that combination quite a bit.

One of the key benefits of managing calorie consumption is that you can eat whatever you want just so long as it doesn't blow the budget. So eat your pasta and enjoy.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:11 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,517,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
Yeah that's why i was thinking i would make a lot of it but only add vegetables like zucchini and tomatoes and squash.
The thing is that sure, you can eat pasta and lose weight, but you'll probably be surprised at how small an actual serving of pasta is. It's 2 ounces, not a giant bowl's full. Portion control is everything.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 AM

729 posts, read 563,106 times
This is what you do.

Before eating the pasta, drink a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. You will feel full, not eat as much, and the ACV will help metabolize the carbs.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 AM

9,417 posts, read 14,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
I tried loosing weight a while back but gave up bc of reasons. I actually decided I would rather eat what I want and that I was happy with my body. But lately I have been feeling bad and I think its bc of all the carbs I eat and bad food. So I want to give this another try! Id love to get off 10 or 20 lbs.

This may seem like a dumb question but it's something I don't understand... okay I know that to loose weiht you have to eat less than what you burn but if thats true then why can't you just eat anything as long as it's under the calories you can have for the day? Why do some people give up carbs or dairy or certain things? Do you really lose weight by just eating less or is it the kinds of foods you eat too? Hope I make sense...

The reason i ask is because I I LOVE pasta and I don't want to give it up... I was thinking that this weekend I would make a big pot of it and then add a bunch of veggies to it. Then I would split it up in containers since i have a fridge again. But will I still lose weight if I still eat pasta?

You have received some good feedback here, except for the one that pasta is not nutritious; it is, as a rule, including protein.

Pasta, in essence, is grass from the dirt, cereal, wheat, it shares characteristics with many other grains and seeds that come from the earth, the soil. If it isn't nutritious from the ground up, it would not have been a staple food for thousands of years.

As mentioned, the problem is probably portion size.

Also, I would suggest trying, if you don't do so already, whole wheat pasta; the "white" pasta that most people buy, in the US at least, is made from processed wheat flour, whereby the processor whittles down the grain (there are technical terms for this), where most of the nutrients are and them adds them back in chemically (vitamin B complex).

Better yet, buy whole grain wheat flour and make your own pasta by hand (yes, a time-consumer, but try it at least once if you haven't done so already).

I would also suggest trying to diversify your grains (seeds), including other kinds of wheat such as bulgar and farro and spelt and rye, whole grain rice, quinoa, millet, oats, teff, amaranth.

Again, in all cases, manage portions carefully, count calories if you have to (including oils and other kinds of dressings on pasta, salads, and other dishes).

And of course, accompanied by a wide variety of legumes, vegetables (as raw as possible) and fruits.

Works for me at least, may be worth a try for you.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss