Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,830,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
nothing to cringe at... you need to grow up. You knew what i meant
Oh this exchange happens often, makes members feel big. I guess. We all knew what you meant.

On the pasta -- a friend took off huge amounts of weight by eliminating WHITE foods...pasta is wheat bleached white. I sometimes feel a craving and I've eliminated it years ago, but take it out of my mind. Maybe it will be my "last" supper but who knows....

Pasta turns to sugar. Little OT but a reason I've thought about the cavaties I've gone thru in my long life and feel due to pasta etc and the acid from these foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,830,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Italians are, on the average, much thinner than Americans or Australians. Most eat pasta but I think they do not eat between meals as we tend to do. It is all in the overall amount.
The Italians I have known and know are NOT very thin. Some I've known, pretty heavy.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,508,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Italians are, on the average, much thinner than Americans or Australians. Most eat pasta but I think they do not eat between meals as we tend to do. It is all in the overall amount.
Pasta is usually a side dish in Italy, not a HUGE main course.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM

726 posts, read 562,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The Italians I have known and know are NOT very thin. Some I've known, pretty heavy.
The only thin one I know is Giada.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Yes, and it's well known she spits out her food especially when tasting it on TV.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Are you talking about Italians from Europe, or Italian Americans?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM

726 posts, read 562,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yes, and it's well known she spits out her food especially when tasting it on TV.
I heard that, too.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Pasta turns to sugar. Little OT but a reason I've thought about the cavaties I've gone thru in my long life and feel due to pasta etc and the acid from these foods.
Actually, the body sees white flour the same or worse than sugar and unless you burn it off right away, it will turn to fat.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 PM

2,243 posts, read 2,416,687 times
I'm a firm believer that losing weight is all about calories in calories out. You can eat anything in moderation. As long as you say in your caloric deficit, you can have a bowl of pasta. Just be mindful of your portion sizes because it's very easy to eat too much pasta...

Old 07-20-2018, 02:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm a firm believer that losing weight is all about calories in calories out. You can eat anything in moderation. As long as you say in your caloric deficit, you can have a bowl of pasta. Just be mindful of your portion sizes because it's very easy to eat too much pasta...
I am a firm believer in different bodies responding differently to different foods. I think GENERALLY SPEAKING of course, calories in calories out and all that. But the reality is that eating some foods (different foods for different bodies/people) makes losing weight more difficult, for whatever reason. You can call it bloating, indigestion, GI irritation, water weight, whatever, but I know this - I can't eat wheat without gaining several pounds, which stay on me for several days. I mean ANY amount of wheat - half a piece of dry toast for instance. I am not exaggerating this. So I really don't care what "sort" of weight it is - I feel and look bloated and uncomfortable.

Dairy products affect some people like this. Not me, thank goodness because I love milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. But I have several friends who can't do dairy without bloating and weight gain.

I have a good friend who can't eat eggs without immediately putting on two or three pounds.

The thing is, it's hard to lose weight if you're eating something you're not processing well, or that is causing some sort of reaction you're really not aware of, every day or several times a week.

For me, it's just easier to do away with wheat. For my friend with the eggs, bye bye eggs. And guess what, I feel SO much better! It's just not hard to do for me. There are so many other grains out there, so many other options.

There's even pasta made out of grains other than wheat.

I'm not saying that going gluten free is the answer for everyone - in fact, I'm actually saying the opposite. I just think it's short sighted to focus only on calories if one has tried that and struggled a lot with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss