Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,869,373 times

Advertisements

Losing weight depends more on how much you eat, not what you eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,337,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Losing weight depends more on how much you eat, not what you eat.
For some people it's easier to lose weight cutting out certain foods because some foods make them bloat, gain weight, feel sick to their stomach, give them diahhrea, etc.

All I can tell you is that for me - 50 calories of wheat make me feel sick, make me retain weight, give me gas, etc. 50 calories of yogurt a day helps me LOSE weight. No bloating, no weight retention, no discomfort, and I feel great, more energetic, etc. I sleep better, feel better - so whatever causes the weight loss, I'll take it.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:37 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,284,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It might have been phrased a little more nicely, but the point is that words are important. In your quest to improve your life it helps to be able to use the correct words correctly. A lot of people will judge you on that, better to learn than to take offense.
+1. Exactly that was my only intent by mentioning it...and "grow up"? ?

Ok then...make that mistake at "college", a real job app or at work. Then another thread will appear. I'm out.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM

10,277 posts, read 6,376,443 times
Grew up in an Italian household. Great-Grandma the Immigrant. Grandma first generation. Pasta was pretty much a side dish, like potatoes and rice, for our daily menu. Only Sunday dinner of pasta, sauce (gravy), and meatballs or braciole was special. All those big pasta items like on Olive Garden were Holiday Dinners. Did not eat like that on regular basis.

We ate a LOT of fresh bitter greens and beans put into soups. Where in the world did they did Dandelion greens???? Eeeewww.

My Non-Italian husband is a total pasta and carbs "freak". I have been telling him that I could care less about pasta for 40 years. Do you go ape s----t over rice or potatoes?

I've weighed 98 lbs. just about my entire life. I don't get the pasta fascination.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,144,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1. Exactly that was my only intent by mentioning it...and "grow up"? ?

Ok then...make that mistake at "college", a real job app or at work. Then another thread will appear. I'm out.
I'm not trying to fight with you bc you have always been nice to me and given me good advice. But I didnt start this thread about spelling. i didn't. You knew what i meant. And i was more talking about the other guy who corrected me but still spelled a word wrong in his last thread. I am trying to keep on topic. And if i kicked out of a job or college for spelling one thing wrong, like you are saying, then that is dumb and I have never heard of that.

Sorry if that upset you but i know how to spell. you were rude to point it out.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,704,813 times
The secret to weight control. Eat whatever you want. The problem is your stomach size. Your stomach has been expanded from childhood through over eating. But with a life style change you can shrink the stomach back to a normal size-it is really aa small organ anyway. Drink a glass of water prior to eating. Then eat one coffee cup of food. And stop. Later repeat this whenever you are really hungry. Over time you will find you eat less and you are not hungry. Eat corn,beans,squash and a dash of green pepper. Add pasta as you want,whatever goes into the cup.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 AM

17,587 posts, read 39,303,859 times
OP - here are my thoughts. As others have mentioned, certain foods can be problematic for some, but not others. I happen to love pasta too, BUT....the key is portion size. Also, I have switched to EGG NOODLES! These are delicious, I love the flavor and texture over regular pasta, and they are made with eggs so they are higher in protein. A good way to prepare which is nutritious and filling is to do the "primavera" like you do with added veggies, and also add some chopped walnuts or pecans for extra protein and "good" fat. I also add a sprinkle of parmesan. Just stick to a small portion and with a nice mixed greens salad you have a healthy meal!

Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,526,491 times
Maybe some may think I am full of it when I post what I do. I thought this would be interesting to those that may not understand how excess carbs turn into fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-5Y9om1Nfw

Old 07-21-2018, 01:55 PM

7,996 posts, read 5,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The secret to weight control. Eat whatever you want. The problem is your stomach size. Your stomach has been expanded from childhood through over eating. But with a life style change you can shrink the stomach back to a normal size-it is really aa small organ anyway. Drink a glass of water prior to eating.
Eat whatever you want? Don't do that. You should eat less--and because of that you should eat what is good for your body.

I used to drink a lot of water when I ate. I met with a Nutritionist, she told me not to drink 30 minutes before or after and not during my meal. It was a life changer for me. I now find it best to follow that rule. The SECRET to weight loss is eating less. Portion control. Not "treating" yourself because you have been good all week. The secret to weight loss is staying focus and not sabotaging what you have loss. I lost 80 pounds six years ago and have kept it off. It is a life style change. I also think weighing yourself everyday keeps one in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post

Sorry if that upset you but i know how to spell. You were rude to point it out.
I agree with that. No one, no one likes the Grammar Police. Sorry that happened to you.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,930,190 times
FWIW (perhaps not much), I find that when I correct someone's writing--which I tend to do because my mother was a writer who corrected me a lot, I guess--I find that not only do people hate it, and you offend someone, but someone will invariably turn around and find equally egregious errors in my writing.

Having said that, typical errors like not distinguishing "your" and "you're" (for example), if they're not typos, do reveal a lot about the writer, and not good things, either: intelligence, reading habits, attention to detail, caring about language and by extension, intellectual and artistic pursuits. It's snobbish, no doubt, but that doesn't nullify what it reveals.

But back on topic: I love pasta, too, and it slows weight loss but doesn't prevent weight loss, in my experience. I add tons of veggies (broccoli, cherry tomatoes, stuffed olives), and season with a bit of soy margarine and walnut cheeses. The obligatory glass of wine and garlic bread is more likely the problem.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 03-21-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss