Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,139,422 times

Advertisements

I tried loosing weight a while back but gave up bc of reasons. I actually decided I would rather eat what I want and that I was happy with my body. But lately I have been feeling bad and I think its bc of all the carbs I eat and bad food. So I want to give this another try! Id love to get off 10 or 20 lbs.

This may seem like a dumb question but it's something I don't understand... okay I know that to loose weiht you have to eat less than what you burn but if thats true then why can't you just eat anything as long as it's under the calories you can have for the day? Why do some people give up carbs or dairy or certain things? Do you really lose weight by just eating less or is it the kinds of foods you eat too? Hope I make sense...

The reason i ask is because I I LOVE pasta and I dont want to give it up... I was thinking that this weekend I would make a big pot of it and then add a bunch of veggies to it. Then I would split it up in containers since i have a fridge again. But will I still lose weight if I still eat pasta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Do what works for you. I found that I can't eat gluten, regardless of calorie counting, without bloating and weight gain, but to each his own.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,431,150 times
The reason Most people give up carbs (celiacs represent less than 1% of the US population) is because it's a fast burning food. Eat pasta till you'r stuffed, and 3 hours later you're hungry again. Do the same with fats or proteins and you're stuffed/unhungry for many more hours. If you can go longer without feeling hungry, it's easier to cut the calories.

You're more than welcome to eat it, but I suspect it will hinder you in your desire to lose weight.

My path was to completely cut all carbs for 1 month. Well, not all since fruits and veggies have natural carbs, but no processed carbs (pasta, breaks, juices, etc...) Then I added back a Little for the second month, the equivalent of 1 slice of bread a day. By the 3rd month when I essentially stopped my restriction, I didn't have any cravings, was eating less than I'd allowed myself in the 2nd month, had lost all the weight I'd wanted to lose and felt great. My personal poison/addiction are sweets... cookies, candy, pies, cakes, etc... I indulge myself about 2 or 3 times a year now, and that's just right/enough (this is ~15 years after the initial restriction, weight has remained off).

Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
I'm cringing, Belle. "Lose"

Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
But will I still lose weight if I still eat pasta?

Calories are calories, eat the ones you like (pasta), just don't eat 5000 calories of them every day--stay under 2000 calories (or whatever your losing-weight number of calories happens to be).

Don't forget vitamins, minerals, etc., keep it balanced, of course.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 PM

854 posts, read 1,707,229 times
I ate pasta while losing weight. I used whole wheat pasta, and didn't stuff myself, of course.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:57 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
I've thought of bread as dead food for the last 10 yrs or so when I stopped buying any kind. And I was born and raised on pasta and breads and burned it off a lot but I've never been too thin.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...hy-eating.html

Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I'm cringing, Belle. "Lose"

Thank you LLCNYC, a little cringing here too!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,139,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Thank you LLCNYC, a little cringing here too!
nothing to cringe at... you need to grow up. You knew what i meant

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
nothing to cringe at... you need to grow up. You knew what I meant
It might have been phrased a little more nicely, but the point is that words are important. In your quest to improve your life it helps to be able to use the correct words correctly. A lot of people will judge you on that, better to learn than to take offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss