Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
How do you unwind? A glass of wine? Up to 300 calories:

https://winefolly.com/update/calories-in-wine/

Cannabis has no calories.

I'm going to investigate medical cannabis when there are dispensaries near my area.
I always got the munchies and ate more than 300 calories though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 04:23 PM

70 posts, read 46,438 times
Default It can be helpful

It's legal here, and honestly, my friends who have been using/smoking it for years, in large quantities, are thin, active, and have very high metabolisms. (Note: these are highly functioning, professional individuals, so I wish we could dispense with the out-dated notion that marijuana users are lazy, fat, over-eating couch surfers.) When I began to smoke it occasionally, I promised myself I would only do so at night, right before bed, so I wouldn't be prone to eat. It increases heart rate and blood pressure, hence, yes, it increases metabolism. Once I acclimated a bit, I actually began to use it a little bit prior to working out at home, as well - only advisable with Sativa strains, which are stimulating, versus Indica, which are calming.
The stereotypical munchies come with certain strains, but with the wide variety of hybrids these days, you can figure out which ones make you hungry and which ones just give you the calm without the desire to overeat.
I have found the Indica to be helpful at night, to stave off sugar cravings, during a reduced-carbohydrate diet.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:55 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateCookie View Post
It's legal here, and honestly, my friends who have been using/smoking it for years, in large quantities, are thin, active, and have very high metabolisms. (Note: these are highly functioning, professional individuals, so I wish we could dispense with the out-dated notion that marijuana users are lazy, fat, over-eating couch surfers.)
Thanks for this. We are still having issues getting dispensaries up and running but if I can get it during the next year I will.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:13 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I eat more when I get baked. Most people I know who smoke it have "dad bods" though they also drink. It's all about calories in versus calories out... there's no magic pill to increase your metabolism besides steroids and stimulants like caffeine, ephedrine, or whatever... and you shouldn't be using them to lose weight. I don't care if you smoke pot.. it's a calorie free alternative to drinking... if it makes you eat less, good for you. If you use it as an alcohol replacement, you will lose weight and your liver will thank you. I can manage my cravings regardless and it's not quite so important if I overeat when I'm bulking anyways.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-29-2018 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
I’m finding eating healthy and exercise works for me. The time I used cbd oil to help with pain didn’t do anything for me, and I can’t smoke , and I don’t need to unwind and so marijuana isn’t useful for me.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:12 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I eat more when I get baked. Most people I know who smoke it have "dad bods"

The fat cells of the abdomen have receptors called "cannabinoid receptors" that increase their storage of fat when activated. They are named, obviously, because cannabis activates them. They are also activated by alcohol consumption, which explains the famous "beer belly."

Fat cells are activated to store fat in different areas of the body by different chemicals. Cf- estrogen makes fat accumulate on the chest and thighs.

One gets the munchies from dope because the cannabinoids stimulate those belly fat cells and they're calling for more raw material to build fat.

I don't know the details of the modern genetic strains. They may have bred plants that don't give you the munchies anymore.

I do know that many people with sleep apnea are also overweight (classic Pickwickian Syndrome), and that treatment of the breathing (and sleep) problem also may result in weight loss, so weight loss with cannabis may result from improved sleep and not from a direct effect of the weed.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I've heard some of the effects of indica are not from the THC itself but rather the terpenes the strain has versus the ones sativa doesn't have. I'm not sure the experts are even 100% sure.. all I know is that if I vape indica it feels more like a sativa so clearly some compounds aren't being vaporized in the process.

For me marijuana in and of itself doesn't cause me to gain weight in any particular area.. thanks to cutting lately I likely have the best body composition of my life so far, though I still have more fat on me than I'd like and plan to cut more after a bit of weight training for the next few weeks.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
all I know is that if I vape indica it feels more like a sativa so clearly some compounds aren't being vaporized in the process.
Actually I think some of the compounds are lost during the extraction process. This makes more sense. When you extract, you remove certain compounds, maybe not intentionally but it happens just the same. This applies to all types of extractions not just cannabis.

THC and CBD are not made by the plant itself apparently but made by "activating" other compounds.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...nnabis-effects

Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I don’t know about this. All I remember back in my weed days is the uncontrollable munchies that would make me eat anything I could when I was under the effects.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Also, to be fair, its very easy for a woman to come down from being 220Lbs, that can be done by just not being a complete pig as that is a HUGE amount of weight on a female.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
How do you unwind? A glass of wine? Up to 300 calories:

https://winefolly.com/update/calories-in-wine/

Cannabis has no calories.

I'm going to investigate medical cannabis when there are dispensaries near my area.
You need drugs to unwind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss