Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The bread I eat has only 11 carbs in two slices.
Put a whole bunch of meat, a piece of cheese and some pickles in between and the sandwich is pretty paleo/keto legal.
Good with bacon and eggs, too.

What bread is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 04:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
What bread is that?
I have a couple here:
Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain... 2 Slices, 17g carbs - 6g fiber = 11 net carbs
Fit & Active 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain... 2 Slices, 16g carbs - 5g fiber = 11 net carbs

IMO, they're better toasted. No blood sugar spikes from these two.
Being able to have a sandwich is a big deal. I think I went 3 or 4 years without having one before this bread became available.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-12-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 04:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I have a couple here:
Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain... 2 Slices, 17g carbs - 6g fiber = 11 net carbs
Fit & Active 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain... 2 Slices, 16g carbs - 5g fiber = 11 net carbs

IMO, they're better toasted. No blood sugar spikes from these two.
Being able to have a sandwich is a big deal. I think I went 3 or 4 years without having one before this bread became available.

Thanks!

I haven't had bread in years, but these might be do-able. I've been using low-carb wraps that don't spike my sugar, but bread would be nice for a change.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Thanks!

I haven't had bread in years, but these might be do-able. I've been using low-carb wraps that don't spike my sugar, but bread would be nice for a change.
I used the wraps before I got the bread, but it's just not the same.
I don't do wraps anymore. I can pile a lot more meat on a sandwich.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I LOVE bread, but I am on a modified paleo and tend to avoid bread as much as possible. I have noticed a huge difference in my health since. As much as people say it's just the quantity makes the difference, alas it is not. OUr bodies process foods differently.
I think each person processes foods differently. I can eat as much bread as I want and have no issues, but soy products are like a nightmare. I have digestive issues, bloating, unbearable heartburn, and migraines. I can have very limited quantities of soy sauce, but if I have a protein bar with soy, a soup with soy broth/miso- forget it. I tried to have a Taco Bell taco with “beef†one time on the road and I thought my insides were going to come out...

That said, at home I usually have toast in the mornings and I tend to have wraps or pitas instead of sandwiches with bread. I make a lot of wraps/pitas, but very few sandwiches. It seems like a big caloric waste to be using so many calories on the bread when a wrap/pita typically doesn’t have many.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Well, bread is a carb and you're supposed to avoid that on keto. Carbs, sugar, rice, potatoes, bananas, tortillas, all kind of stuff have to be cut out if you want your body to burn fat. Fatty liver: no alcohol or sugar. Most of the things we like are suspect, it seems.

A close friend of mine just died. His family were vegan but he told me once he liked fish and lamb, etc., and didn't want to discuss giving it up. I guess a lot depends on how important your food habits are versus the opportunity to live longer, or if not live longer, die in less pain. For many people the suffering of animals is a factor, and the effect on the planet, also. Most people, the majority, not.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Well, bread is a carb and you're supposed to avoid that on keto.
I'm allowed 20 carbs, so I can have bread when it's only got 11.
On a day that I have a sandwich, my dinner is meat and a low carb veggie.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:48 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Many good comments here. If I may summarize: everybody is different. People have different tolerances for different foods.

A couple points for clarification about diets: there's a difference between wt loss diet vs maintenance diet. After losing wt on a lo cho diet, you can add them back in until you start gaining wt again. Just back off a little from there for maintenance.

Unless you have a specific enzymatic abnormality, serving size does make more difference than food type. A whole plate of pasta may bloat you, but a "spaghettata"- just a little portion as a side dish- may hit the spot and provide a good source of B vits.

Re: refined carbs-- if you were to eat a sugar beet, your digestive tract & liver would do the "refining." That's nothing more than separating the sugar from everything else. It doesn't change the sugar. When you buy table sugar in the store, it's been refined by the processing plant. Easier to cook with, but same difference nutritionally.

Whole wheat vs white flour-- that was the point of my earlier post- not a big difference. For whole wheat, the mill uses the seed with the bran still on it (bran is the thin "paper" covering the seed; kinda like on a peanut) It contains slightly more vits, but also some proteins that make it less desirable in baking characteristics. If you don't really like whole wheat and are only using it for an imagined nutritional advantage, do yourself a favor and go back to white bread.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:55 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
For many people the suffering of animals is a factor, and the effect on the planet, also. Most people, the majority, not.

How do you know the plants aren't suffering when you tear them out of the ground, cut off a limb or rip their babies from their wombs?

BTW- because carnivores eating meat are much more energy efficient than carnivores eating plants, The Planet actually does better when we raise meat animals (cattle are just replacements for buffalo, just like buffalo were replacements for triceratops in the grazing niche in the open plains biome.

It would be good if the Treehuggers learned a little Ecology before regurgitating the erroneous prayers of their religion.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
Last year I was eating a slice of Ezekiel toast with fruit spread and 2 eggs for breakfast - no bread the rest of the day. I was running a lot. Once I had Achilles surgery I dropped it and went to 4 eggs in the am. I have kept that up even though I resumed running. I COULD become a bread addict if I ate it, especially home made types of bread, but I already fight the sweet tooth addiction so I avoid bread and choose not to eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss