Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Nicole Kidman is reportedly 5'11" and weight reported at 128 or I've seen 135. She's very thin, but she's an actress. Whether it's fair or not, people are judged by their looks, especially in the Art world.
She's an actress, that doesn't surprise me, though I think she's bigger than 128.
I was talking about me personally, at 138 (years ago, before children) I looked very gaunt, my face was very thin, and I looked frail. I'm 149-150, just right IMO for my age. Ms. Lagarde is probably the weight I stated, definitely not 135, or 150 for that matter. I'd say 160+, but she's older (60s). If I stay within 10 lbs at that age, I'd be happy.

I think though that older women would benefit from bi/tri exercises to help counter gravity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
She's an actress, that doesn't surprise me, though I think she's bigger than 128.
I was talking about me personally, at 138 (years ago, before children) I looked very gaunt, my face was very thin, and I looked frail. I'm 149-150, just right IMO for my age. Ms. Lagarde is probably the weight I stated, definitely not 135, or 150 for that matter. I'd say 160+, but she's older (60s). If I stay within 10 lbs at that age, I'd be happy.

I think though that older women would benefit from bi/tri exercises to help counter gravity
Yeah, you look great! For myself, I wonder if my goal of 165 is too thin. At 68, I want to maintain the energy to keep up with much younger players in orchestra, but I think I have to be careful not to get too thin, and also not to injure myself working out.

I'm currently lifting light weights, swimming and yoga, but I really don't push it. My tendency is to push my limits.

Incidentally, I've been doing OMAD 22:2 for several months, which means I have a two hour eating window in the morning (actually more like one hour usually), and don't take in more calories until the following morning. Only purchased a bathroom scale last week but I'd estimate I've lost maybe +/- 6 lbs. in that time. The real objective in this is to activate Autophagy, and I think it may be working. I feel better, my clothes are looser even though I haven't lost a lot of pounds, and some spots that concern me seem to be changing shape.

According to research, some benefits of Autophagy include the destruction of free radicals and possibly, cancer cells, and possible prevention of Alzheimer's, cancer tumors, and possible longer life span. The study of this, at any rate, is very important scientifically and cutting food down can't hurt you, at the very least. I'm not a rat, but reducing food intake in rats does promote longer life.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 11-15-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
I did not know who she was so I googled her and read her profile on Wikipedia. She is a great role model in all areas and a very intelligent person! Good choice for someone to admire!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Yeah, you look great! For myself, I wonder if my goal of 165 is too thin. At 68, I want to maintain the energy to keep up with much younger players in orchestra, but I think I have to be careful not to get too thin, and also not to injure myself working out.

I'm currently lifting light weights, swimming and yoga, but I really don't push it. My tendency is to push my limits.

Incidentally, I've been doing OMAD 22:2 for several months, which means I have a two hour eating window in the morning (actually more like one hour usually), and don't take in more calories until the following morning. Only purchased a bathroom scale last week but I'd estimate I've lost maybe +/- 6 lbs. in that time. The real objective in this is to activate Autophagy, and I think it may be working. I feel better, my clothes are looser even though I haven't lost a lot of pounds, and some spots that concern me seem to be changing shape.

According to research, some benefits of Autophagy include the destruction of free radicals and possibly, cancer cells, and possible prevention of Alzheimer's, cancer tumors, and possible longer life span. The study of this, at any rate, is very important scientifically and cutting food down can't hurt you, at the very least. I'm not a rat, but reducing food intake in rats does promote longer life.
This is wise thinking, Kara. At our age we need to maintain a healthy weight to keep up our health and energy. My own doctor told me that as we age it is healthy to maintain a weight maybe 10 - 15 lbs more than when we were say in our 30s. As I said, I am 5'8" and currently weigh 150. I was 140 and this year 10 lbs crept back on but everyone says I look better and I believe I do. I am not skinny, but I have a good figure and look healthy. I maintain by moderate daily workouts of long bike rides and a few compound exercises. If you work out too much, you will be too tired and sore for your orchestra activities. I myself am a musician, but play instruments and sing with bands. I can't afford to get too tired and sore.

Also, your eating patterns strike me as too severe to maintain for long. I think you need more calories, and perhaps a longer eating window. I just don't think you can maintain what you are doing for long, especially since you are veggie. JMO.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This is wise thinking, Kara. At our age we need to maintain a healthy weight to keep up our health and energy. My own doctor told me that as we age it is healthy to maintain a weight maybe 10 - 15 lbs more than when we were say in our 30s. As I said, I am 5'8" and currently weigh 150. I was 140 and this year 10 lbs crept back on but everyone says I look better and I believe I do. I am not skinny, but I have a good figure and look healthy. I maintain by moderate daily workouts of long bike rides and a few compound exercises. If you work out too much, you will be too tired and sore for your orchestra activities. I myself am a musician, but play instruments and sing with bands. I can't afford to get too tired and sore.

Also, your eating patterns strike me as too severe to maintain for long. I think you need more calories, and perhaps a longer eating window. I just don't think you can maintain what you are doing for long, especially since you are veggie. JMO.

Good luck!
I appreciate your concerns, fellow musician!! Orchestra perf., whether pick-up orchestra for acts, traditional classical orchestral venues or, especially, baroque chamber music--where you play standing up!--is physically very demanding. I can't be sure that I'll succeed, or how many auditions I'll have to do, to go in the direction I'd like but the physical element needs to be solid, and obviously so, to even be considered. Playing baroque violin is also more physically demanding -- no chin rest or shoulder pad, so arms have to be especially strong.

One of the problems associated with Intermittent Fasting, particularly OMAD (One Meal a Day) is that people eat too much during their eating window and don't lose any weight, if that is their goal. And if they do keto, which I believe is a form of the older Atkins diet, some folks interpret that to mean unlimited meat, eggs and cheese. So they can get high cholesterol and the health issues that entails. But it's impossible to overeat if you're vegan and have cut all sugar and limited carbs. You can't overeat.

I remember hearing about doctors recommending that older people carry an additional 10-15 lbs., if for no other reason than if they become ill they'll have a cushion to fall back on and won't become too thin. A bit of good advice, if the weight is muscle and not fat.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:

thank you.

I think 165 would be too thin at your height and age. I think things are so much better for me because I'm not trying to be the skinniest girl on the block. The key is finding that sweet spot weight wise that you feel is easy to maintain. For appearance, for me, weight training helped immensely because it gives the appearance of leanness and fitness. I recently got injured though (due to trainer error, lol), so you do have to be careful, but it makes a world of difference in terms of how you look vs. simply being thin.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
thank you.

I think 165 would be too thin at your height and age. I think things are so much better for me because I'm not trying to be the skinniest girl on the block. The key is finding that sweet spot weight wise that you feel is easy to maintain. For appearance, for me, weight training helped immensely because it gives the appearance of leanness and fitness. I recently got injured though (due to trainer error, lol), so you do have to be careful, but it makes a world of difference in terms of how you look vs. simply being thin.
I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. And about weight training, absolutely right. Am I not correct about muscle weight being superior to fat weight? Not sure about all that. What I'm noticing after around three months of IF is that the spots where I have some fat seem to be dimply, if that's a word, rather than hard. What this might indicate to me, if you believe what Dr. Fung says, is that (1) IF does not destroy muscle; and (2) --he claims that -- he has never had to refer any of his patients for surgery to remove loose skin after weight loss (because Autophagy eats up the extraneous cells). This seems to be supported by other YouTube posters who have lost even massive amounts of weight. See:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Aw0P7GjHE

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 11-16-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Absolutely right. Am I not correct about muscle weight being superior to fat weight? Not sure about all that. What I'm noticing after around three months of IF is that the spots where I have some fat seem to be dimply, if that's a word, rather than hard. What this might indicate to me, if you believe what Dr. Fung says, is that (1) IF does not destroy muscle; and (2) --he claims that -- he has never had to refer any of his patients for surgery to remove loose skin after weight loss (because Autophagy eats up the extraneous cells). This seems to be supported by other YouTube posters who have lost even massive amounts of weight. See:

IMO, muscle is superior to fat weight. I've lost 70 lbs and while I do have some loose skin in my lower ab region, lifting has firmed me up. If I had not lifted weights, I would have been more saggy. Right now I'm stuck doing just cardio and I hate it. I'm losing my strength each week..

Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. And about weight training, absolutely right. Am I not correct about muscle weight being superior to fat weight? Not sure about all that. What I'm noticing after around three months of IF is that the spots where I have some fat seem to be dimply, if that's a word, rather than hard. What this might indicate to me, if you believe what Dr. Fung says, is that (1) IF does not destroy muscle; and (2) --he claims that -- he has never had to refer any of his patients for surgery to remove loose skin after weight loss (because Autophagy eats up the extraneous cells). This seems to be supported by other YouTube posters who have lost even massive amounts of weight. See:

IF isn't prolonged fasting. I doubt you'd see any notable atrophy with IF as long as you get sufficient protein in general. Now 7-10 day fasts, yes, it's inevitable. The body needs proteins and it can't store a 7-10 day supply of them anywhere else other than muscle, so that's where it goes to find them.

As far as plastic surgery, it's not normally necessary except in cases of severe morbid obesity. I mean, think about pregnancy. That's a huge amount of skin stretching but women don't go around with flaps of skin for very long after giving birth. Obesity is a bit different in that it's more chronic and the longer it stays stretched out the less likely it is to tighten up. It's also age though. It's not about autophagy. Skin only live a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss