Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I have a question about fasting, I have to eat breakfast every day. I work out in the morning and usually need to eat breakfast before I go to work otherwise I feel really dizzy...trust me this has happened more than I'd like to admit.
Is there any way that maybe I could just skip dinner? Like fast from 1pm to 7am the next morning?
Right; I have my one meal a day at breakfast. It's perfectly fine to do that, just another workable alternative among many in IF. My animals are used to being fed then and I like doing the kitchen thing and then not going in there again until the following morning.

FWIW, I started by doing breakfast and lunch, and then fasted from around 1:00 p.m. until the following morning. But after about two weeks of that switched to OMAD.

6 Popular Ways to Do Intermittent Fasting
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ittent-fasting

Quote:

Here are 6 popular ways to do intermittent fasting.

• The 16/8 Method: Fast for 16 hours each day. ...
• The 5:2 Diet: Fast for 2 days per week. ...
• Eat-Stop-Eat: Do a 24-hour fast, once or twice a week. ...
• Alternate-Day Fasting: Fast every other day. ...
• The Warrior Diet: Fast during the day, eat a huge meal at night.
• Spontaneous Meal Skipping: Skip meals when convenient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
I have a question about fasting, I have to eat breakfast every day. I work out in the morning and usually need to eat breakfast before I go to work otherwise I feel really dizzy...trust me this has happened more than I'd like to admit.
Is there any way that maybe I could just skip dinner? Like fast from 1pm to 7am the next morning?
I do 20:4 IF on weekdays, skip breakfast, skip lunch, eat dinner in the evening but when I workout, I will do it before I eat. This is the way to maximize fat burning. You will typically not lose fat if you exercise after a meal. I will ride my bike about 10 miles or walk briskly about 3.5 miles. I combine IF and Keto so my glycogen stores will be low anyway. It does take a couple of weeks to become fat adapted. All of this depends on the person and the body type of course. If you don't have at least a little extra fat and are already slender and doing IF for other reasons, this may not work you.

If you are otherwise healthy, your blood sugar should not go low. The body has a built in mechanism for this. It's a hormone called glucagon which keeps BG in check. So getting dizzy may be from something else or it may be you are not adapted yet. Either way, do what works for you. The idea is to fast for a certain number of hours, it does not matter which time of day those hours fall into.

Here's another explanation on this.
Fasting and Exercise – Fasting 23

And another point of view

Last edited by gguerra; 11-29-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 PM

57 posts, read 60,263 times
Default Dizzy not good

Quote:
Being dizzy is not good. There are many ways to do IF. The key is to have at least a 16 hour fast. I do a 20:4. I have breakfast at 6 am, do a two hour workout from 8 am to 10 am, then eat my last meal for the day at 10 am. In the beginning I worked out right after eating - that was not good. I got stomach aches. Please, if you're not feeling well change what you're doing.

I've lost 16 pounds even though I eat until I'm full every meal. I find that amazing. I do try to eat healthy, but every food is allowed. I don't obess over my carbs fats ratios. For example, for my second meal sometimes I have a healthy salad, other times I have a lox and onion omelette with rye toast and home fries , and on weekends I have a pizza with a dirty martini. I control when I eat, not what I eat. I don't calorie count.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:50 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,804 times
I do IF - 16:8 most days, sometimes a longer daily fast. I really like it and feel like I actually have control over my eating habits now! Food no longer controls me.

I eat from 11 am - 7 pm most days, but it did take me a couple of months to work my way into that schedule. I started with fasting simply for 10 hours, then 12, then 14 and finally 16 + hours.

It's a really flexible lifestyle, and there are no IF police to come knocking on my door and tell me I'm doing it wrong if life happens and I only make it 15 hours one day.

I highly recommend intermittent fasting!

Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
It's a really flexible lifestyle
I think it's pretty easy because it's uncomplicated.
From dinner time Sunday to dinner time Monday, no eating!
Then eat "something" that's no more than 600 calories. That's it for the "counting".
Repeat after dinner on Tuesday and after dinner on Thursday.
Lose weight!

Old 11-29-2018, 04:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I go longer than that... 24 hr fast on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
e.
I could never fast that long.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
OK.

I was told for years that if you fast, you'll make it for it later by eating more calories. So I was told that's why fasting doesn't work.

But is that true?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM

57 posts, read 60,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
OK.

I was told for years that if you fast, you'll make it for it later by eating more calories. So I was told that's why fasting doesn't work.

But is that true?
No, not true. A study of fasting ever other day showed they didn't eat double the next day - so the result was weight loss.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
OK.

But is that true?
I eat my normal lo carb stuff on non-fasting days.
I only stuff my face on "free" days, which are about once a month.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM

346 posts, read 358,406 times
I've been fasting daily for a few months now. Yesterday, was my longest fast 23 hrs. I was never hungry. I ate last night at 8 pm and it's 1 pm and I'm still not hungry. My wife has been watching me go through my whole Keto weight loss over the last year and has been a skeptic. At Thanksgiving I ran a 5K having fasted 16 hrs, I came in 3rd in my age group of 60 runners. 30 pounds lighter and feeling better than I have since college. My wife said she wants to start of this diet as she headed off to work today. The one thing I've noticed with fasting is you need to stay well hydrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss