Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Not so sure that works. I have seen information saying that most common probiotics don't really have enough in there to make a serious difference on the idea of weight loss. That they only way is to encourage them yourself via eating goods with fiber.

No. Read it. Not going to help me. I think my gut doesn't need repair. In fact if I was a hunter gatherer I would LOVE my gut.
What do you need help with if not your gut....I thought that was the point of your thread? How could you read PP and not come away impressed with what you can do with the right diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
This entire thread is evidence of why social media can often be more damaging than helpful.

Our bodies don't need mad scientists to provide corrective measures to regulate itself. We don't need to detox or alter our gut bacteria, we need to make responsible consumption choices and pay attention to our bodies. We have livers and kidneys to keep everything in check, unless diseased or damaged they don't need any help.

Most of the extreme concepts and ideas presented on weight-loss are fueled by amateur researchers relying on content they find on the Internet to substantiate whatever theory they promote. All because a theory is supported by content on a website doesn't mean it's reliable or even healthy. Doctors are not hiding important information from us about weight loss in order to keep obesity levels high and billing revenue healthy, they are only able to offer advice and guidance based on credible, proven sources.

Here's my favorite weight-loss theory; drink more water, eat less food and move as much as possible. I've had great success with this radical formula and despite not having optimum gut bacteria, eating throughout the day and even occasionally indulging in complex carbs, managed to drop eighty pounds and keep it off.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Not so sure that works. I have seen information saying that most common probiotics don't really have enough in there to make a serious difference on the idea of weight loss. That they only way is to encourage them yourself via eating goods with fiber.

No. Read it. Not going to help me. I think my gut doesn't need repair. In fact if I was a hunter gatherer I would LOVE my gut.

That's why I included pro-biotic foods in the list, and pre-biotics which is fiber good for encouraging pro biotic growth.

I'm not saying this is going to help you lose weight, but I think it is good for general health.

I'm with the camp of eat whole foods, exercise and all that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-06-2018, 04:05 PM

57 posts, read 60,205 times
Default Variety of fiber

I recently learned that if you want great gut bacteria you need to eat a variety of fiber. Each type of fiber promotes it's own gut bacteria. Personally I normally eat at least 30 grams of fiber daily. Sources include: oatmeal, blueberries, cocoa powder, beans, spinach, onions, almonds, and whole wheat bread. I agree that the fiber promotes health, and may aid in weight loss. If you do decide to try a high fiber diet I suggest you do it gradually. A sudden change in fiber amounts can lead to bowel problems.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:01 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
What do you need help with if not your gut....I thought that was the point of your thread? How could you read PP and not come away impressed with what you can do with the right diet?
There isn't an ounce of evidence for this lectin diet. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.0bcaf5b67481

Conversely I am on the gut bacteria bandwagon because every day on legit science sites there is another study affirming gut bacteria plays a key role. And this first started in 2011 to 2013 and hasn't been disproven since.

Quote:
Personally I normally eat at least 30 grams of fiber daily. Sources include: oatmeal, blueberries, cocoa powder, beans, spinach, onions, almonds, and whole wheat bread. I agree that the fiber promotes health, and may aid in weight loss. If you do decide to try a high fiber diet I suggest you do it gradually. A sudden change in fiber amounts can lead to bowel problems.
Nahh, where is the fun in that. But the thing is, I am not a fiber eater. I admit it. I don't feel I had a bad diet, just not a great one. I probably got about 7 or 10 gs per day. No one could really tell me why I needed it or convinced me it did anything. It DOESN"T make me more full. It doesn't typically do much for bowel movements and I don't have any issues with my stomach like IBS. But, if eating more fiber, say 15 to 20gs could change my gut bacteria sufficiently enough to even reduce my calories per day by 100, that absolutely would be worth it.

I am also finding that it is the soluble fiber that is most important. So not all fiber is the same.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:22 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
There isn't an ounce of evidence for this lectin diet. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.0bcaf5b67481

Conversely I am on the gut bacteria bandwagon because every day on legit science sites there is another study affirming gut bacteria plays a key role. And this first started in 2011 to 2013 and hasn't been disproven since.

Nahh, where is the fun in that. But the thing is, I am not a fiber eater. I admit it. I don't feel I had a bad diet, just not a great one. I probably got about 7 or 10 gs per day. No one could really tell me why I needed it or convinced me it did anything. It DOESN"T make me more full. It doesn't typically do much for bowel movements and I don't have any issues with my stomach like IBS. But, if eating more fiber, say 15 to 20gs could change my gut bacteria sufficiently enough to even reduce my calories per day by 100, that absolutely would be worth it.

I am also finding that it is the soluble fiber that is most important. So not all fiber is the same.
You are dead wrong! I am evidence that the diet proscribed by The Plant Paradox is 100% effective and it has worked wonders for me beyond anything I can imagine.

As far as I'm aware, it always works. I know people that don't believe it and don't try it and people that just don't want to do it but of the people I know that did it, it's miraculous what it will do for your gut and your overall health.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I've read that when a fecal transplant is done with an overweight source and healthy weight recipient, the recipient becomes overweight as well.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've read that when a fecal transplant is done with an overweight source and healthy weight recipient, the recipient becomes overweight as well.
I am not sure that has been done with humans but it has been done with mice.

All you need do is go to the science daily website and the evidence is piling up. Though sometimes the scientific studies aren't always done with the best of controls when you have 25 tests a year supporting a hypothesis, you have to start taking it seriously.

In addition I have found studies back in 2007 that just didn't get a lot of press at the time.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
I recently learned that if you want great gut bacteria you need to eat a variety of fiber. Each type of fiber promotes it's own gut bacteria. Personally I normally eat at least 30 grams of fiber daily. Sources include: oatmeal, blueberries, cocoa powder, beans, spinach, onions, almonds, and whole wheat bread. I agree that the fiber promotes health, and may aid in weight loss. If you do decide to try a high fiber diet I suggest you do it gradually. A sudden change in fiber amounts can lead to bowel problems.

I try to eat 30 grams of fiber a day, but I struggle since I am also calorie restricted (it's the only way to keep the weight off that I lost... I will always be on a "diet" or else I will be overweight and then obese again). I don't meet the 30 gram goal every day unless I do something extreme like high fiber cereal and then eat an entire bowl of Brussels Sprouts for lunch. I always get more than 20 grams, but 30 grams means weird eating habits. How do you eat 30 grams a day? Is there a way to add more fiber or do you just have to eat more to get that much fiber?

Old 12-07-2018, 03:32 PM

57 posts, read 60,205 times
Yes, I do eat a lot of calories - more than 2000 a day. I can still lose weight because I average over 10000 steps daily. The 20 grams of fiber that you are eating is fine. My best high fiber meals are when I go to a salad bar - spinach, chick peas, olives, onions, etc. I then add shrimp salmon cubes, ahi tuna and salad dressing. For breakfast my fiber sources:

One cup oatmeal 4 grams fiber
1 tbsp cocoa powder 2 grams fiber
2 tbsp almond butter 3 grams fiber
1 cup blueberries 4 grams fiber

Total fiber 13 grams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss