Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Do you eat cheese (an animal product) or bread (not lo carb, don't know how that fits in your diet plan)?
If you don't eat bread but eat cheese, crustless pizzas are awesome.
I'd eat an all-veggie version in a heartbeat. Probably mushroom, onion and fajita veg.
I lost weight while eating my non-veggie (it did have mushrooms, though) version.
No, I don't eat any dairy. When you see how the stuff is produced it's hard to keep eating it. Dairy is easy to replace with vegan alternatives. I cut bread out a while ago, mainly because it's not going to help me get the weight down and also because it usually has eggs in it. There are vegan breads, but not any near me that I know of. I eat a ton but nothing that has a face or a mama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Well, you should be proud of yourself for being able to stick to that diet. I don't think I could do it.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Well, you should be proud of yourself for being able to stick to that diet. I don't think I could do it.
What, the veganism? It's not a diet, it's a reaction to seeing first hand how the animals suffer, a horror show hidden from the public. It's not that I don't enjoy the "foods" produced, it's knowing how they're produced which most people either don't know about, pretend to ignore or somehow justify. And the effect on the environment, as well. But this is not the place to discuss it. Google, as they say, is your friend.

But I don't deserve any props for this: every single thing I like to eat that was formerly based on animal products has a vegan alternative: meats, meatloaf, eggs, cheese, milk, sour cream, gravy, you name it.

Gotta run: breakfast awaits. Think I'll have homefries, "sausage" patties, scrambled "eggs," sliced tomatoes, grits and coffee. My favorite breakfast.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-09-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Ethical considerations aside, I'd still have a really hard time not eating meat and eggs.
What I mean when I say you should be proud of yourself, is that you diligently stick to what you're doing. Most people can't.

Heck, I feel good about complying with lo carb for years (even if I do eat bacon... as Vince said in Pulp Fiction, "Bacon tastes good.") and even moreso with IF.
Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them what I'm doing. My doctor, however, does not.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Ethical considerations aside, I'd still have a really hard time not eating meat and eggs.
What I mean when I say you should be proud of yourself, is that you diligently stick to what you're doing. Most people can't.

Heck, I feel good about complying with lo carb for years (even if I do eat bacon... as Vince said in Pulp Fiction, "Bacon tastes good.") and even moreso with IF.
Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them what I'm doing. My doctor, however, does not.
I'm unable to put ethical issues aside. Is that easy to do?

Pigs are smarter than dogs.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

I appreciate your dedication to your convictions. I do have to ask however do you own any leather products?
Sometimes that aspect gets overlooked.
I wish I could keep the veganism up, I felt excellent while only eating plant based foods. I do stay away from dairy for the most part. Its the meat that is hard to give up. Mainly beef, chicken, and fish.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

Depends on your mindset.
At the end of the day, I'm a pragmatist. I don't believe in doing something that doesn't work for me.

Eating animals doesn't work for you. You shouldn't do something if you don't believe in. I respect that in a person.

You know, people eat dogs, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I'll add another one.
There is a guy at work who sells eggs.
His chickens are not penned up and live out their chicken lives running around freely.
IMO, it's a good deal for the chickens because they get fed and are protected from predators.
So, is it so bad to eat these eggs? P.S... the eggs are all different colors and do taste different than store bought eggs.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-09-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I appreciate your dedication to your convictions. I do have to ask however do you own any leather products?
I wish I could keep the veganism up, I felt excellent while only eating plant based foods. I do stay away from dairy for the most part. Its the meat that is hard to give up. Mainly beef, chicken, and fish.
I avoid leather, wool, down, honey, and products like Worcestershire sauce. Pretty hard to be a 1,000% consistent but that doesn't discount the effort. Playing, selling and teaching stringed instruments is particularly troubling for vegans because these instruments are held together with hide glue and have bits of leather, horse hair on the bow, etc. There is no current substitute for the hide glue, though you can buy carbon fiber instruments and there are companies who provide vegan bows.

If you have trouble staying away from eating meat, watch vids of what the animals go through. If you consistently watch these, you won't have any trouble eating cruelty-free.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM

You also have a Cadillac, which almost certainly has leather (not pleather) seats.
But I won't hold that against you.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Depends on your mindset.
At the end of the day, I'm a pragmatist. I don't believe in doing something that doesn't work for me.

Eating animals doesn't work for you. You shouldn't do something if you don't believe in. I respect that in a person.

You know, people eat dogs, too...

I'll add another one.
There is a guy at work who sells eggs.
His chickens are not penned up and live out their chicken lives running around freely.
IMO, it's a good deal for the chickens because they get fed and are protected from predators.
So, is it so bad to eat these eggs? P.S... the eggs are all different colors and do taste different than store bought eggs.
There are a lot of conflicting opinions about whether those eggs are okay. I just think eggs are slimy and unhealthy and I don't like them. The real issue, the central, underlying concern is the distinction between perceiving animals as individuals versus thinking of them in terms of human preferences, as "ingredients" and slaves to human tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss